*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yeah :) £75 from a shop though. Not the cheapest but I couldn't be bothered with ordering online. Size 11, fit like a glove and they're so ridiculously light. Will be trying them out tomorrow.

Associate
Oh, for sure - I agree entirely with all of your IFs. Those weren't even up for debate! :)

I suppose I ignored the 10% BF because that's just crazy talking. :D

Gotta be optimistic, right? ;)

Tried some deadlifts last night, I was actually able to keep a flat back this time.

Went something like this

40 x 5 felt easy
60 x 5 still ok
80 x 5 starting to sweat now
100 x 3 (pb)
110 x 3 (pb)
120 x 3 (pb)
130 x 1 (pb) Nearly managed 2 but felt my back starting to go so decided to stop there.

At least now i've got a ball park figure to work with.

Man of Honour
Gotta be optimistic, right? ;)

Tried some deadlifts last night, I was actually able to keep a flat back this time.

Went something like this

40 x 5 felt easy
60 x 5 still ok
80 x 5 starting to sweat now
100 x 3 (pb)
110 x 3 (pb)
120 x 3 (pb)
130 x 1 (pb) Nearly managed 2 but felt my back starting to go so decided to stop there.

At least now i've got a ball park figure to work with.

Unfortunately when it comes down to making these sorts of predictions, without working closely with you, it's very difficult to know anything about your current state, training, etc.

For the majoriy of the population, 10% BF will be pretty difficult to get to and even harder to maintain. Particularly if you want to cut from whatever you are now.

However, you are young and have a lot of testosterone going on, so this pushes your equilibrium back into the positive. So who knows? Best thing to do is try and see how it goes.

For example, in one of my threads, I'm monitoring my progress to try and double my lifts within a year: this is highly unlikely, but it's fun to try! :D

Regarding the deadlifts, that's good work. Depending on the regime you decide to follow, I'd start at 110x5x5 each week and go up gradually from there (stronglifts suggests 2.5kg/session, for example).

With deadlifts, it is critical that your form is as good as can be simply because of the weights involved and the potential for stuff to go VERY badly wrong: if you're concerned or just want some input, post in the dedicated 'form' thread for guidance and advice.

Soldato
Supersetting legs, shoulders and biceps last night.

5 sets of each movement with a medium heavy weights. Something I can handle for a comfortable 10+ reps. Usually I got around 15-18 reps. 15 second break between sets.

5 x squats
5 x hacks
5 x hammies
5 x donkey raises
5 x seated raises

5 x Arnolds
5 x flies
5 x front raises

5 x barbell curls
5 x preachers
5 x hammers

yes, an overkill, but I was getting bored with my current workout and needed a shock

The DOMS this morning is indescribable. I actually panicked at first as I thought I tore some muscles.

I'll be doing this a lot more often from now on.

Associate
So I started up at the gym not long ago and have been doing a combination of cardio and some lifting to get fitness up and to become the next Men's Health cover star....

One thing I am worried about is becoming sluggish and losting flexibility, as I have also recently taken up dance and don't want to able to commit to this cause of the lifting. So what advice would you give in regards to this?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Kinda. It's best to work on problem areas I find, like hips/hamstrings can be tight which prevent you from squatting fully, so you'd do some specific stuff to improve that area. Have a look at icecold's mobility thread.

Soldato
In general untrained people will find massive mobility stability and flexibility improvements from proper weight training not the opposite. If your 'getting tight' etc. your probably doing it wrong or have a very unbalanced workout :).

Associate
In general untrained people will find massive mobility stability and flexibility improvements from proper weight training not the opposite. If your 'getting tight' etc. your probably doing it wrong or have a very unbalanced workout :).

It's more of a worry as it's early stages, as people often have the perception you can't be big and be able to move fast as well.

Soldato
I highly recommend checking out the mobility thread. I was in the same position and following a mobility regime from there as helped no-end. Although im feeling it slightly in my back from the **** up with my feet this morning :(

Man of Honour
It's more of a worry as it's early stages, as people often have the perception you can't be big and be able to move fast as well.

Who says you're going to get big?

Are you training, eating and sleeping to "get massiv?"

Because you're not going to turn into Ultra_Extreme/FreeFaller/icecold/morba just by joining a gym to do some cardio and weights. ;)

As already posted, if you do it right and make sure - just like in any other sport/activity - you mobilise your joints correctly, you won't have a problem.

Caporegime

Oh you can move, just a different type of fast. You won't be a long distance runner, but you can be fast an explosive.
Carrying 120kg on your chest or 300+ on your back while trying to move 20 metres as fast as you can will make you big (providing you eat) and keep you being able to move at some pace :p

You just have to remember that to be bigger and still be fast you need to really adjust your diet to take everything in to account.

Man of Honour
I'm still need to properly test out and peak my speed/agility to see where I'm at with development.

The only problem is, that means more graston on my calves :(

Man of Honour
Yeah, it could literally be used as torture. Upper body work almost feels good, but on the thicker muscles on your lower body... Having my calves done last time was probably the most painful thing I've experienced, and I've done some stupid ****!

Works like nothing else though. I've stayed more flexible in my hammies ever since my first appointment.

Associate
Bench:
50x5
60x3
70x3
80x3
85x2
90x1x2

Squats:
60x5
100x4
140x1
157.5x5 (PB)

SLDL:
60x5
100x4
130x2
140x1
150x1x2

Pushdowns: (grow baby triceps, grow...)
35x15
45x10
55x10
65x10
70x10
80x1
60x10
50x10
40x15
30x20
20x50

Every set super-set'd with 10kg x 10 dumbbell curls

Thought I'd bench first because my elbows have been hurting after squats and messes up my bench. These were solid. Had no spotter so no hand-off. Don't think I've ever unracked 90kg myself before. Anyway, elbows were hurting after these, and really hurting after squats. They were really painful during the SLDL's so just stopped. Realised my legs weren't all that straight, kept them straighter and 150kg was hard. Also I was knackered after squats.

To try and deal with this elbow situation, I was doing all kinds of light curls. They seemed to help a little. My arms were pumped to hell after these, could barely reach the top button on my shirt.

Associate
I was exaggerating a little as to how blaze I was about it, though I have done 30 tonne days. Heck, Steedie and others have done 30 tonne days too. However, doing AGVT, there's a lot of volume involved, the sessions lasted nigh on 2hrs.

And actually blasting past 20 tonnes is fairly easy to do. I doubt I'd be able to do it now though,.

Add deads and squats, though at the time I was also alternating between squats and leg press - leg press easily saw 200kg+ being shifted for reps.

Add that together it mounts up.

Granted it's not something one would do regularly, but 30 tonnes was more than achievable.

I don't train like that any more, as I've learnt a lot, and not really after all out size now, more about power balance and skill and strength.

Ah, cool. Yeah, makes sense now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom