*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Deadlift pb on Wednesday, 200kg for a double :).

Happy times, form was a little sloppy but nothing that can't be fixed, only really bothers me because it should be stronger when it's performed right.. Important thing is it's still heading in the right direction.

Squats today. I think I'll go for a heavy triple which should be fun. I hope that this cycle my squats will begin to progress a bit better.

Permabanned
Me too, now it's all about what gimmick training programs, people far too concerned about form (omg my back moved a millimetre on my personal best, I must go back down to 10kg and start again), people spending 10 years worrying about a diet and other things which again are all utter crap

Im with you steeds, in fairness i think different strokes for different folks as some guys i see deadlift with my form would put their back out every week. But i think the intense fear, especially of deadlifts, in the beginners in here is borderline paranoia. I think they all need to start SLDL'ing big big weights to get that lower back up to scratch.

As for programs, i am enjoying 531 but im pretty experienced and i need to mix things up pretty well to push the boundaries. I dont believe there is much point in novices doing 531 as their CNS/Muscle disparity is such that the 1RM's are not nearly accurate and thus the ratios are way out of whack.

Why cant people just stick to a year or two of basic squat/dead/bench/OHP on a nice simple A/B rotation. At least until their ratios even out.

Caporegime
My training has changed over the years. I keep swapping between wanting to look really good and wanting to be as strong as possible. The problem I had with training to look better is it felt hollow and the training wasn't as satisfying. I'd decided I wanted an all round training program that provides mobility, strength and fitness - something I can continue to use for years without sacrificing any areas.

So now I'm doing 531, mobility every session and sprints 3 times a week and feel great. I know if I keep on this path I'll be in a good place and my body will be in it's prime. One thing I learnt from training for looks/size is that it's not necessarily conducive to health/balance/fitness.

It helps that I'm pretty happy with how I look and even though the training I do now isn't geared towards size I should still make small progress in the looks department.

This is what I've near or nuff been doing since I started training, minus 5/3/1 but always doing the 3 big lifts.

Been off the gym for 2-3 weeks now, been soo run down and genuinely ill. Eating again today though! :) Wooop, must've lost at least half a stone. Food is going to get smashed along with PBs!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Finished week 3 with a lovely PB.

200 x 8 deadlift.

I had to stand up and take a 4-5 second time out before completing the 8th rep, and it wasn't pretty, but I told myself I want to go _all_ out.

Nailed it :)

Caporegime
Nice work lie, beastly!

Was deads for me tonight:

3x4x115kg - rep four of set three went up, just couldnt lock out properly.
3x10x75kg

Ohp (30kg): 10, 8, 7
Single arm row: 3x10x25kg - nice and strict
Front raises supersetted with side raises: 3x10x10kg

Felt terrible before the gym due to lack of sleep and other variables, went well though. Deads are getting/on my limit now i think as that was almost my 1rm i think?

Edit: previous 1rm was 115kg a month or so ago...just smashed that for reps :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Epic lifting there as per usual LiE! :eek:

Today's diet:

300ml oat milk + 40g oats
2 eggs, 2 sausages, 2 bacon + beans
60g hemp powder + 500ml fruit juice
400g boneless chicken thighs + pasta
Small chunks of pineapple and some grapes
200g of cooked lentils, I think that's around 20g raw

~2000 cals according to my calcs :\