*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Dude - I broke my arm two inches from my wrist last November and was front squatting like a (very weak) boss in February this year! No excuse. ;)

Work on your flexibility, as it will only bite you later (yadda, yadda).

The alternative is the cross-arm grip whilst the barbell is resting on your delts (guessing you've tried this?)...

I'm not having a go at you or anything here, but it gets annoying when people go 'oh I can do this, so you can to' :p Everyone's different

I smashed my wrists up many a time over the years, so it's probably due to that, just having my hands in a press up position on the floor causes enough problems :o :p

From discussions I think it's due to some flexibilty in my shoulders, which is making me have to bend my wrists more (enough back squats can be annoying sometimes), but it's something I'm working on.

Tried the cross over arms position yes, just need to work on it, as I couldn't hold as much weight that way around last week, but I'll give it a whirl tonight and work on something :) generally front squats are okay, its just after x amount of reps/sets my wrists become an issue

Caporegime
This is the only way imo, the other way just puts too much strain on your wrists.

Yeah, I'm pretty much that way inclined at the moment. doing back squats, then front squats, then calve raises on my back, my wrists are pulp :p

or with straps as in this article

http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/uploads2/PainFreeFrontSquats.pdf

Haven't read it, just came up when i googled.

Dom mentioned straps the other week for front squats, may invest one day, no money at the moment though.

how did you get on?

Not bad, just need to lower the weight. If anything they'll help with developing my shoulders I suppose :p

Man of Honour
I'm not having a go at you or anything here, but it gets annoying when people go 'oh I can do this, so you can to' :p Everyone's different

That is true. However, one thing to remember is that I very rarely have a dig at anybody with any seriousness: only when they imply I have said something which I haven't. To be fair, I was also very lucky with my wrist, given the nature of the break, but hey. Doesn't mean you shouldn't work on it, however. ;) :D

I smashed my wrists up many a time over the years, so it's probably due to that, just having my hands in a press up position on the floor causes enough problems :o :p

Being a bloke, if you hadn't, I'd be more concerned.

From discussions I think it's due to some flexibilty in my shoulders, which is making me have to bend my wrists more (enough back squats can be annoying sometimes), but it's something I'm working on.

Colour me unconvinced, particularly concerning the above. If you're uncomfortable adopting a press-up position, I'd say you have wrist problems. Sure, your historic shoulder problems may be an issue with front squatting (they and the upper back are very important), but by the sound of it your wrist would definitely seem to be a weakpoint.

And amen to dads with no money. Try adding in a house move to that equation. Not only do you have to pay for redecoration, you will probably have to do it yourself, too! :mad: :D

Associate
And amen to dads with no money. Try adding in a house move to that equation. Not only do you have to pay for redecoration, you will probably have to do it yourself, too! :mad: :D

ahhh... the pleasures of DIY... it never seems to end!

It's not just decorating that becomes DIY when you have a kid! :D:eek::mad:

Caporegime
Naw, just get the bar on your delts, cross your arms around it and keep your elbows high. That will give the bar no opportunity to roll forwards.

Ta dude :)

As I said, something I'll be working on Mrthingy. My wrist literally only bends 90 degrees :p

We've recently moved as well, just relandscaped the entire back garden which included felling 7 massive bush things that where 10 foot or so high...Currently re-doing the kitchen now, already had an RSJ put in so we knocked a wall down, just putting up another wall now, then theres the gloriousness of building the new wall units and stuff :o

Associate
Im aware it was sarcasm ;)

Im not really sure how the tfl works/gets in the way really, you been hammering it?

g1350361498179560603.jpg

Soldato
Quick routine check please!

With my half marathon training, I think I should go on a full upper & lower body strength training routine, as opposed to presently strength on the lower body and mass on the upper body, so I'm going to drop a few exercises, how does this look:

Chest & Triceps:

Flat/Incline bench press (1st week/2nd week): 5x5;
Weighted BW Chest Dips 5x5;
CGBP 5x5;
DB Overhead Tricep Extension: 5x5;

Back & Biceps:

BB Deadlifts 5x5;
Weighted Narrow-grip Pull-ups 5x5;
Barbell Rows 5x5;
Seated Rows 5x5;

Legs & Shoulders:

BB Squats 5x5;