*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Delvis, did you ever get a resistance band? Can use this to help do some mobility and get your hands in to the right position, just can't remember if you ever got one :D :p

Yep. What would you be thinking in terms of using this to aid wrist mobility though?

Probably

Errrm it would look quite disturbing if your wrist went more than 90 degrees?

I know various people who can bend their wrists back reasonably far :o

Soldato
everything 5x5?!
how long between sets and what sort of tempo you doing those reps as? could make a long session!

I didn't think of that! I usually wait 1.5-2 minutes between sets and do the reps in 2-4 seconds. Just concerned that if I carry on building mass, it's quite likely going to really screw up my endurance and my ability to run 13.1 miles in April!

Thanks,

David

Man of Honour
I didn't think of that! I usually wait 1.5-2 minutes between sets and do the reps in 2-4 seconds. Just concerned that if I carry on building mass, it's quite likely going to really screw up my endurance and my ability to run 13.1 miles in April!

Thanks,

David

Personally I'd drop your assistance exercises down to 3x8 but keep 5x5 for the big compounds.

Soldato
Personally I'd drop your assistance exercises down to 3x8 but keep 5x5 for the big compounds.

Cheers for your reply!

Does this seem better:

Chest & Triceps

Flat/Incline bench 5x5 (1st week, 2nd week)
Weighted BW Chest Dips 5x5;
CGBP 5x5;
DB Overhead tricep extension: 8x3;

Back & Biceps

BB Deadlifts: 5x5;
Weighted Narrow-grip Pull-ups 5x5;
Barbell Rows 8x3;
Seated Rows 8x3;

Legs & Shoulders

BB Squats 5x5;
BB Calf Raises 5x5;
Goblet Squats: 5x5;
SDLS: 5x5;
BB Shrugs: 8x3;
DB Shoulder press 8x3;
DB Front & Side raises 8x3;

Thanks,

David

Man of Honour

Thanks,

David

Ditch the cardio? You're not going to get mathiv to the point that running becomes awkward between now and April, particularly if you carry on with the cario work.

Soldato
Alright lads,

Been going gym over a month now, been doing 3/4 days a week and tried focusing each day to a specific area of muscles.

Now im a complete gym noob and no very little and have only gone by what my mate suggested (problem is I dont know the names of stuff lol). Would anyone mind doing me a decent Chest/arms/abs/back/shoulders workout for the week?

Ive been doing about 5/6 different exercises each day (3x10) and Im seeing results, but they seem to of reached a point now where im seeing very little improvement. I know diet is a massive factor, been on the shakes and eating high ammounts of protein, but I kind of expected a bit more.

Any help would be awesome guys.

Man of Honour
Alright lads,

Been going gym over a month now, been doing 3/4 days a week and tried focusing each day to a specific area of muscles.

Now im a complete gym noob and no very little and have only gone by what my mate suggested (problem is I dont know the names of stuff lol). Would anyone mind doing me a decent Chest/arms/abs/back/shoulders workout for the week?

Ive been doing about 5/6 different exercises each day (3x10) and Im seeing results, but they seem to of reached a point now where im seeing very little improvement. I know diet is a massive factor, been on the shakes and eating high ammounts of protein, but I kind of expected a bit more.

Any help would be awesome guys.

I sense a distinct lack of leg and core work in there...

What are you trying to achieve? And do you have access to free weights?

Soldato
I sense a distinct lack of leg and core work in there...

What are you trying to achieve? And do you have access to free weights?

Trying to achieve just a decent looking body, i know I slack on my legs as I feel my legs look semi decent lol.

Yep I have free weights and a bench at home and a gym membership ofcourse.

Currently:

Height: 6"2
Weight: 13st 3lb

Associate
Been going gym over a month now... Im seeing results... reached a point now where im seeing very little improvement.

Must have hit your genetic limits.

:D

I'm a beginner too but I really doubt you've hit a plateau already, have you been increasing the weights each session? 1 Month in when I first started I managed to double or lift at least 1.5x what I did at the beginning, I've made minor changes and i'm still getting good DOMS (Delayed On-set Muscle Soreness) and I'm making good progress.

I was going to try and spec you a programme but the others will be much better than me!

Soldato
Must have hit your genetic limits.

:D

I'm a beginner too but I really doubt you've hit a plateau already, have you been increasing the weights each session? 1 Month in when I first started I managed to double or lift at least 1.5x what I did at the beginning, I've made minor changes and i'm still getting good DOMS (Delayed On-set Muscle Soreness) and I'm making good progress.

I was going to try and spec you a programme but the others will be much better than me!

Yeah I have probably doubled my original weights from when I started 4 weeks ago. But struggling to go further.

Soldato
> 'on the shakes'
> no leg training
> expecting huge gains in zero time

AndHereWeGo.gif

Caporegime
Trying to achieve just a decent looking body, i know I slack on my legs as I feel my legs look semi decent lol.

Yep I have free weights and a bench at home and a gym membership ofcourse.

Currently:

Height: 6"2
Weight: 13st 3lb

Go to the gym and squat, squat, squat and squat some more. Heavy compound lifts are for winners.

Seriously though, go forth and squat.

Associate
I've been doing Cardio for 2 months now - the Insanity Workout. I enjoy it and would like to do a muscle one from now on every day but im limited in space.

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen a similair sort of thing (dvd wise) that i can do at home but mainly muscle related and mainly dumbbells or equipment i can get to use at home in a small space. I've looked at P90x but i dont have room for a chin up bar as my door in swings and the stairs are directly outside my bedroom door.

Caporegime
I've been doing Cardio for 2 months now - the Insanity Workout. I enjoy it and would like to do a muscle one from now on every day but im limited in space.

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen a similair sort of thing (dvd wise) that i can do at home but mainly muscle related and mainly dumbbells or equipment i can get to use at home in a small space. I've looked at P90x but i dont have room for a chin up bar as my door in swings and the stairs are directly outside my bedroom door.

Why does that stop you having a chin up bar?

Is a gym not a possibility? If not, I recommend running and some pylometrics moves. They won't get you big quick, but if its all you have.

Associate
Why does that stop you having a chin up bar?

Is a gym not a possibility? If not, I recommend running and some pylometrics moves. They won't get you big quick, but if its all you have.

I dont know where else to put them other than a door frame.

Not for frequency, i live an hour away from the closest one as i dont drive so i'd have to walk there.

Soldato
Does anyone know the standard barbell height for a deadlift? Assuming standard oly plates & bar? I'm looking for an excuse for my woeful deadlifting, so thought I'd measure today.

Floor->Bar was 7.5". 20kg plates.

Associate
Hopefully the first of many posts in here for me. I've been doing crossfit for about 4 months, I know everyone here isn't a fan but it's working for me and I've never been confident about the technique of the lifts on my own.

I've gone from literally ~30kg deadlift to 100kg x 5 today which I am obviously pleased about as I used to have a bad lower back.

My upper body is still utter pap so I won't even embarrass myself by posting my other totals!

edit: I'm 6' 2" ~80kg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom