*** The 2015 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
This popped up on my Fb feed yesterday, don't know whether it's legit or not but it's pretty cool. Crews seems to be a guy who has a lot of fun alongside his training.

Associate
Up to 5x5 90Kg on squats on Stronglifts. After the 5th set I'm absolutely cooked. Including warm up sets its taking around 30 mins just for the squats. On the days with deadlifts as well I can't help but think the sheer effort of starting with squats everytime is affecting my other lifts.

In the 12 weeks so far the legs have seen some serious #gainz, well ahead of other areas.

Did any of you drop squats down to 3x5 before a deload was required?
Or should I just suck it up and stop moaning? :D

Soldato
Up to 5x5 90Kg on squats on Stronglifts. After the 5th set I'm absolutely cooked. Including warm up sets its taking around 30 mins just for the squats. On the days with deadlifts as well I can't help but think the sheer effort of starting with squats everytime is affecting my other lifts.

In the 12 weeks so far the legs have seen some serious #gainz, well ahead of other areas.

Did any of you drop squats down to 3x5 before a deload was required?
Or should I just suck it up and stop moaning? :D

Stop moaning. :p
Squats use the biggest muscles of your body so they can take the extra punishment, and it seems to be working.

Why do they take 30 minutes? Should be no more than 20 really? 2 mins to do the 5 reps (probably less) then 2 minutes rest is:
2 (set 1) + 2 + 2 (set 2) + 2 + 2 (set 3) + 2 + 2 (set 4) + 2 + 2 (set 5) = 18 minutes.

Are you taking longer rest periods?

If you're finding them hard 3 times a week then try 2 times a week or as you mentioned less reps. See how your recovery/gains are then. It might work better for you in the short term to mix it up.

Soldato
Beat all my week 1 PBs today on week 2 for legs, which is nice to see. 3x12 @ 60Kg on squats, but I can do more but the stand I have isn't a squat stand, so I have to get it up over and in to place first, which is hard at the weight.
Need to find a squat rack asap. Need more kgs.
70kg Stiff Leg deadlifts too, which was nice. Basically pleased for so early on.

Caporegime
Stop moaning. :p
Squats use the biggest muscles of your body so they can take the extra punishment, and it seems to be working.

Why do they take 30 minutes? Should be no more than 20 really? 2 mins to do the 5 reps (probably less) then 2 minutes rest is:
2 (set 1) + 2 + 2 (set 2) + 2 + 2 (set 3) + 2 + 2 (set 4) + 2 + 2 (set 5) = 18 minutes.

Are you taking longer rest periods?

If you're finding them hard 3 times a week then try 2 times a week or as you mentioned less reps. See how your recovery/gains are then. It might work better for you in the short term to mix it up.

Or he's warming up.

Man of Honour
And eat moAR!

This is always the best answer. :D

Beat all my week 1 PBs today on week 2 for legs, which is nice to see. 3x12 @ 60Kg on squats, but I can do more but the stand I have isn't a squat stand, so I have to get it up over and in to place first, which is hard at the weight.
Need to find a squat rack asap. Need more kgs.
70kg Stiff Leg deadlifts too, which was nice. Basically pleased for so early on.

Good work!

And eat moAR!

;)

Soldato
What can a normal person bench? I ask because I had an idea of a charity weight session at work where throughout the day we have some weights set up and people can come by and bang out a few reps. The total is tracked and we see how high we can get - against a few defined targets relevant to what we all do. There are lots of people on site and if we do it in an atrium there would be lots of passing traffic. We've done static bike cycling several times so it's time for a change.

I think bench is "safest" for the untrained - I sense squats and deadlifts are just going to hurt somebody then we all get sued and bench is what most people associate with "weights".

So, 50kg maybe? Might be too high, especially for the ladies. I was going to have some dumbells alongside for the curl jockeys :)

Soldato
I'd say average Joe could get at least a few reps at 50KG - maybe do 40KG to be on the safe side? After all - those that can lift more will get more reps and thus contribute to the total weight in that way?

Caporegime
Even people who I've thought naturally strong have struggled to push 50kg on their 1st try, after all in day to day life you rarely activate the muscles needed for bench press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom