*** The 2015 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Cool , thanks chaps - I did wonder if it was far too high. Makes our target of 1000 tonnes further away though! There will be a fair few strong guys around though so may go for having two bars setup at 30 and 50-60.

Soldato
Just wondering if any of you guys have any experience, either own or know someone or know about, the Precision Nutrition Level 1 qualification? At work they managed to snag a deal with them for 40% off (so £600 instead of £1k). Just wondering if it's worth it as I am interested in nutrition and the science behind it, but if this is a good one and/or well recognised or if there's better/cheaper things/approaches out there?

Man of Honour
Just wondering if any of you guys have any experience, either own or know someone or know about, the Precision Nutrition Level 1 qualification? At work they managed to snag a deal with them for 40% off (so £600 instead of £1k). Just wondering if it's worth it as I am interested in nutrition and the science behind it, but if this is a good one and/or well recognised or if there's better/cheaper things/approaches out there?

Errrm... there isn't anything particularly complicated about nutrition, tbh. Start reading Wikipedia (because it's free and relatively - RELATIVELY - objective an dnot a million years out of date), and then follow hte breadcrumbs from there.

Understand the fundamentals o:

- biochemistry and human physiology (hormones, what happens when a human does X/Y/Z)
- food chemistry and influence on the above;
- effects and influence of exercise on the above;
- biomechanics.

And you will generally have a much better understanding that 99% of "nutritionists" and 99% of broze. And 100% of PTs.

Yes, there are some complex subjects in this, but if you dion't understand the fundamental principles of the body and its functioning, then learning what is the equivalent of nutritional bro-science isn't going to do you any favours at all.

Soldato
The original idea is to lift a work-relevant weight - like the equivalent of a lorry, or ten lorries, or a hundred etc. I'm quite keen to make it all inclusive but we may end up with a bro-corner and a wimps press-up mat :)

Soldato
Errrm... there isn't anything particularly complicated about nutrition, tbh. Start reading Wikipedia (because it's free and relatively - RELATIVELY - objective an dnot a million years out of date), and then follow hte breadcrumbs from there.

Understand the fundamentals o:

- biochemistry and human physiology (hormones, what happens when a human does X/Y/Z)
- food chemistry and influence on the above;
- effects and influence of exercise on the above;
- biomechanics.

And you will generally have a much better understanding that 99% of "nutritionists" and 99% of broze. And 100% of PTs.

Yes, there are some complex subjects in this, but if you dion't understand the fundamental principles of the body and its functioning, then learning what is the equivalent of nutritional bro-science isn't going to do you any favours at all.

Thought that might've been the case. Alright thanks.
Is their any site you use for credible research papers/journals or just Google it?

Man of Honour
Thought that might've been the case. Alright thanks.
Is their any site you use for credible research papers/journals or just Google it?

If you google stuff without knowing what you're looking for, you'll wind up stuck in the middle of too much information and not enough knowledge.

I would suggest starting out with a "* For Dummies" textbook that is broadbrush, relatively easy to understand. And then work to something like this... "Biochemistry of Exercise and Training." My lecturer at University is (was?) one of the more recognised people in Sports Science (Mike Gleeson) and this is a reasonably good (if atrociously dry) step into the murky world of biochemistry during exercise.

The point being searching the internet will - if you're lucky and know what you're looking for - give you very detailed dives into very specific subjects and get bogged down in a deep gully of crazy stuff that wion't help you join the dots together. Starting from the top, low-detail end will let you take the wide view of themes that occur and then allow you to drop down into detail where you want/think relevant/important.

Then, you should compliment it with something by Mel Siff, and guidance from Eric Cressey's page on Facebook, as he provides weekly suggestions for recommended SnC reading. :)

I will have a look at my old textbooks at home and see what I still have by way of a starting point... no idea what still sits in my home "library" but hey.

Soldato
Or he's warming up.

Too much by the sounds of it.

To be fair to him and your comment I did omit the 10 x bar and 5 x "light" weight warm-up from my equation, but these can be done quite quickly and shouldn't require resting before heaving the big load.
I still think 30 mins is a bit OTT.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
About fifteen minutes of warmup here! :D

Static stretching, some barbell only movements (typically good mornings -> OH squats) and then with 40kg and then some more end-range stretching before going anywhere near a warmup set... But then, I am old...:o

Soldato
With the amount of contradictory information online its hard to find an answer for this. Am I wasting my time eating around maintenance while trying to gain strength? Would i be better off eating a few hundred calories above TDEE?

Man of Honour
I would eat above TDEE because it's not that exact as it doesn't take into consideration hormonal responses.

How are you getting on just hitting TDEE at the moment with your training? You need to take a long term view, and not base it over a couple of days but over at least a month or more.

Soldato
I would eat above TDEE because it's not that exact as it doesn't take into consideration hormonal responses.

How are you getting on just hitting TDEE at the moment with your training? You need to take a long term view, and not base it over a couple of days but over at least a month or more.

Lifting wise hard to tell as started SL and most of it still feels light. Weight wise over 3 weeks put on .5kg so must be eating slightly over. Try to keep protein above 150g/day. Im just trying to make sure i don't stall sooner than i should. Got no problem eating more if its beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom