*** The 2018 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Had a deload over new year and fancy doing some sort of rep-max testing this weekend before I start the next cycle just to gauge progress (haven't being doing anything under 3 reps for any lifts, so not really acclimatised for true 1RM testing). Thinking of seeing if I can establish a 3RM on a few things and rather than just pyramiding up and fatiguing myself, maybe work up sensibly to something heavy that seems in the right ballpark and go for a triple, and if I have a 4th or 5th in the tank go for it but cut it off after that, since predicated 1RMs get more inaccurate the higher the rep count.

Also I've been increasing loads 2.5-5% rather than 2.5-5kg because it's not just realistic for a lot of movements for me (even bench!) and I get to use my microplanes more which is nice.

Soldato
Had a deload over new year and fancy doing some sort of rep-max testing this weekend before I start the next cycle just to gauge progress (haven't being doing anything under 3 reps for any lifts, so not really acclimatised for true 1RM testing). Thinking of seeing if I can establish a 3RM on a few things and rather than just pyramiding up and fatiguing myself, maybe work up sensibly to something heavy that seems in the right ballpark and go for a triple, and if I have a 4th or 5th in the tank go for it but cut it off after that, since predicated 1RMs get more inaccurate the higher the rep count.

Also I've been increasing loads 2.5-5% rather than 2.5-5kg because it's not just realistic for a lot of movements for me (even bench!) and I get to use my microplanes more which is nice.

This went quite well today, despite feeling like ar$e after not getting enough sleep all week.

Morning BW = 65kg

Squat (Olympic weightlifter style) = everything felt heavy so decided to be conservative and go for 107.5kg for 3, got 4. Maybe had a 5th but it would have been disgusting to watch.

According to rep max calculators that translates to...
Lombardi - 123kg

Brzycki - 117kg
Epley - 121kg
Mayhew - 125kg
O’Conner - 118kg
Wathan - 121 kg
Lander - 118
Average = 120kg

Seems rather high...

Bench (medium grip, healthy arch but nothing silly) = went with 70kg in the end. Got 4 although as usual with pressing movements I misjudged the RIR and the last one took an absolute eternity to go up - always doing that with pressing movements, rep, rep, rep... got a few left in me... rep, dead.

Lombardi - 80kg
Brzycki - 76kg
Epley - 79kg
Mayhew - 81kg
O’Conner - 77kg
Wathan - 78kg
Lander - 77kg
Average = 78kg

Seems high again! Maybe I'm just doubting my own ability... not going to test them anyway, just a reference for the weights next cycle which is a simple wave loading linear progression I got from Dr. Eric Helms.

Deadlift and OHP tomorrow. Definitely going to err on the side of caution with the former and with the latter I'm hoping I get something that'll put my predicted 1RM somewhere nearer to 60kg (which is what I weighed in the spring last year).

Soldato
OHP is still gash, can do 40kg for sets of 6 pretty fluently but all 45kg gave me was a ropey triple, so while my form has got pretty clean on these my predicated max is still hovering around 50kg. Doh.

Deadlifts went fairly well. Did 130kg (double bw!) for 5. So that's...

Lombardi - 152kg
Bryzcki - 146kg
Epley - 151kg
Mayhew - 154kg
O'Conner - 146kg
Wathan - 151kg
Lander - 147kg
Average = 150kg

So predicted 1RMs of 120kg/78kg/150kg for the big 3, not that I'm PL'ing or using low bar etc. Bench y u so rubbish.

Soldato
Wow,
Work Gym was MOBBED!
Came in, just the usual crowd, thought we'd got away with it.
5 mins after I came in there's a hoard coming through the door, running machines filled, cycles filled, people just kind of milling about the middle doing various half ***** stretches.

Soldato
Y
Battle ropes - fad or worth getting for a home gym?

They are really good cardio but it depends on how much they cost I suppose. Googling suggests between £20 - £200, I would get a cheap one and see how it goes. While googling I noticed this is quote from men's fitness about them. :D '...they confuse and surprise your muscles into making new gains' What the hell does that mean? A thing to also note that they are rather loud so you might have to consider your neighbours.

Tea Drinker
Don
Battle ropes - fad or worth getting for a home gym?

I use them three times a week to warm up the arms, my training is centered around martial arts and boxing so fits quite well. Usual is 100 single arm whips one each are, 100 alternating whips, 100 doubles, 50 scissors, 50 slams, 100 uppercuts, 100 hooks. We mix up 30 seconds on 10 seconds off. There's loads of battle rope workouts around.

I'd say buy long enough and heavy enough as you can whip less of the rope and shorten it, you can't add more rope.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
On my quest to incline press the 50s, I tried out the 40s today. It's been a while, but managed 2 sets of 8. If I had longer in the gym I'd have gone for a 3rd set of 8 but needed to get a move on (train on my lunch break). Also tried out the bench press at the gym and it felt a lot easier due to the wider benches, so cracked out a comfy 80x8x2.

My triceps are really getting some work from all the cable work I can now do, which will hopefully help bring balance back to my arms.

Man of Honour
Wow,
Work Gym was MOBBED!
Came in, just the usual crowd, thought we'd got away with it.
5 mins after I came in there's a hoard coming through the door, running machines filled, cycles filled, people just kind of milling about the middle doing various half ***** stretches.

I have never seen my gym as busy even at this stage of the year. Couldn't move in there. It actually wasn't fun last night at 6pm. I miss being off work and having the mornings with the place to myself (and having the extra energy). There was someone on pretty much everything I needed to use (actually, groups around most things - chatting most of the time too). Then of course there are the usual requests along the lines of 'can I jump in between your sets' - no, not unless you want to remove and then add back on 2-3 20kg plates from each side so we get down to your weight. Oh well, it will ease off in a few weeks.

Funny people mention tricep sessions. Having gone back to CGBP and then finishing off with weighted dips mine are pretty sore!

Finally made a little progress with OHP earlier this week. Hope I can keep that up.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So having trained at home for the past 5 years, and now back in a regular gym, I have noticed something strange that maybe OcUK can enlighten me on...

Why are all the guys wearing leggings?

Soldato
So having trained at home for the past 5 years, and now back in a regular gym, I have noticed something strange that maybe OcUK can enlighten me on...

Why are all the guys wearing leggings?
I like training in leggings, comfortable and keep you warm

Now if they were ONLY wearing them, not under shorts, that's a bit different :p

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I like training in leggings, comfortable and keep you warm

Now if they were ONLY wearing them, not under shorts, that's a bit different :p

Most to wear shorts over the top to be fair, so not too bad.

I still don't get it, I wear shorts in the gym and I still get super hot.

I used to wear compression shorts when I trained at home, but that was very cold.

Back
Top Bottom