*** The 2018 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
There was a rather chatty pair at the gym last night. In-between their set on the hack squat I did 2 sets of dead lifts, stripped the bar and then did 4 warm sets of squats. I think I was starting my actual set when they started again.

Last edited:
Soldato
There was a rather chatty pair at the gym last night. In-between their set on the hack squat I did 2 sets of dead lifts, stripped the bar and then did 4 warm sets of squats. I think I was starting my actual set when they started again.

My favourite are the people who come in the same time as me and are still flailing around on a foam roller or playing with bands and lacrosse balls when I'm on my 2nd or 3rd exercise. The best part is when they actually get round to doing whatever their first lift is, their positions are still ropey. Could have used all that time to actually practice the movement itself, brahs.

Soldato
Big guy at the gym yesterday, places a bench under the Smith machine facing in a way so the war would be running head to toe as opposed to across his body. Then grabs the V-Grip handles that you would use for T-Bar rows and proceeds to bench press like this.

Never seen anything of the sort before, left me wondering if he was just crazy or if it was actually beneficial.

Soldato
Big guy at the gym yesterday, places a bench under the Smith machine facing in a way so the war would be running head to toe as opposed to across his body. Then grabs the V-Grip handles that you would use for T-Bar rows and proceeds to bench press like this.

Never seen anything of the sort before, left me wondering if he was just crazy or if it was actually beneficial.

Doing a very close grip bench with a bar puts your wrists in a crappy position, so I suppose it sort of makes sense... but that said you're not really gaining anything in terms of tricep emphasis v.s. a shoulder width grip width and having the bottom position be around your sternum like a 'proper' CGBP. Almost sounds like a squeeze press variation actually, which I suppose could work in a weird way, although you would have seem him really flaring the elbows for that.

Soldato
In the gym on Wednesday and an old fella wanders over and takes a 5kg plate off my bar in between my bench press sets. I was still sitting on the bench!. He goes and casually pops it onto his bar and starts squatting with it.

That was a first for me.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Inb4 hook grip. Tom Martin's become a convert after tearing his bicep on a mixed grip comp PR pulls and then there's the likes of Cailer Woolam and Yuri Belkin pulling 400kg+ with it...

I can believe that. The supinate hand takes massive load to the bicep. I'll have to see how strong my DOH gets, I won't be doing any big pulls for a while anyway. My 255 pull was mixed and I didn't die :p

Soldato
Mixed grip is RIP for imbalances, you may not have noticed it before because you always trained through it but now you are starting again but with much better knowledge and mind muscle connection you will notice it!

Straps ftw. You're never going to compete in power lifting so there is zero reason not to strap up for top sets.

Back
Top Bottom