*** The 2018 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
The belt doesn’t prevent injury, strengthening your core which the belt helps with does. There is a key difference between the two.

Pure semantics. Indirectly, if used correctly, it prevents injury. People walking with a belt on around the gym all of the time, no, that doesn't help. Bracing against it during a lift, yes, that helps.

Soldato
I am still having troubles with balance on the squats, end up leaning on my toes at times if I'm not using the 1.25 plates. If I don't get myself injured somehow, might treat myself to some lifting shoes to save me going barefoot, Puma has a decent pair for around £45 at the moment.

I'll check out the ROMWOD thing as well.

Soldato
Pure semantics. Indirectly, if used correctly, it prevents injury. People walking with a belt on around the gym all of the time, no, that doesn't help. Bracing against it during a lift, yes, that helps.
Sorry it really isn’t semantics.

If you stick your belt on and lift a weight that is still outside of your ability to lift you will get injured. The belt may make the lift possible but won’t prevent the injury.

Strengthening your core and lifting with proper form will prevent injury, a lifting belt will not and it’s very important to be clear on this.

Belt <> injury prevention.

kai

kai

Soldato
Good to see some of the old names still post here :) Will be looking at getting back on the bandwagon in January having had some time away from strict dieting (16 months) to build some mass.

The standard cliche' starting in Jan but it works out nicely for a 12 week cut to reveal whats been hidden for some time :) end goal is around 8% b.f. Back to being miserable :(

Associate
Mobilising is stretching/warming up/building up your weight slowly before lifting. Not necessarily just before working out, you can spend time in the evening doing it while in front of the TV.

Something that is very popular amongst the Crossfit community and Olympic Lifters is ROMWOD (gogo Google). Daily stretching programmes that target different areas of the body and is very good at helping mobility.
Wow did some stretching while making tea tonight and crikey I feel way more flexible. Thx man seems like this was my problem

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Good to see some of the old names still post here :) Will be looking at getting back on the bandwagon in January having had some time away from strict dieting (16 months) to build some mass.

The standard cliche' starting in Jan but it works out nicely for a 12 week cut to reveal whats been hidden for some time :) end goal is around 8% b.f. Back to being miserable :(

Get the Xmas binge out the way before cutting in Jan, smart move ;)

Soldato
Thoughts on best indoor cardio to do, running isn't an option as I hate it! Options I have thought of, rowing, skipping, cycling??

Man of Honour
I'm just about 2 months into stronglifts and loving it................except the overhead press. I really am not getting on with that movement very well. I've had a personal trainer friend come over and check form and give me some tips (on all of them, not just that). I know my form has been off and is now improved but I feel so woefully weak on that movement. I kind of look forward to everything else but slightly dread the OH press! I deloaded to 35kg on it to work on my form.

Man of Honour
Thoughts on best indoor cardio to do, running isn't an option as I hate it! Options I have thought of, rowing, skipping, cycling??

Cardio?

:p

I'm just about 2 months into stronglifts and loving it................except the overhead press. I really am not getting on with that movement very well. I've had a personal trainer friend come over and check form and give me some tips (on all of them, not just that). I know my form has been off and is now improved but I feel so woefully weak on that movement. I kind of look forward to everything else but slightly dread the OH press! I deloaded to 35kg on it to work on my form.

OHP is a very slow one to progress with me. Not helped by shoulders getting hammered by most other exercises. It is one to be very very patient with in my experience.

Permabanned

Big fan of just hopping on the elliptical for 30 mins at a time. Absolutely detest running and it's the closest I can get to that sort of exercise without actually doing it xD

Soldato
Horizontal exercise is best. :eek: :cool:

Otherwise rowing.

Horizontal exercise requires a willing gym buddy......rowing it is then haha

Big fan of just hopping on the elliptical for 30 mins at a time. Absolutely detest running and it's the closest I can get to that sort of exercise without actually doing it xD
I should have said no to elliptical's as well but I forgot about them lol.

Soldato
Funny, I was just struggling with my OHP today but then again very low on energy lately with deadlines. That and old I just seems to be popping up again.

Also found going barefoot (well socks) much better than trainers on the squats. Belt is making it much easier this week but I think that's probably exposing core weaknesses so going to incorporate more work on that.

As for gym cardio, I hate it myself indoors and so normally so a circuit of treadmill, rower and bike. Always finish with 5 minutes on stairmaster just to make sure I really appreciate that cheesecake cheat on the weekends :D

Back
Top Bottom