*** The 2018 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Any one able to give me some pointers on macros for a lean bulk?

Diet I am clueless about. So much info on the web etc...

I used this macro nutrient calculator. (Other calculators give different macros)

I punched in my details (36yrs, 5 foot 8, weight 68.1kg and muscle gains) and even on the Light activity option the macros are way above what I currently eat.

For example it suggested this:

Carbs: 252 G per day.
Protein: 168 G per day.
Fats: 62 G per day.

I'd have to force feed my self to eat that many carbs. I don't have a problem with this if I knew it was the right thing to do.

Does that even look vaguely correct?

This one comes back with different macros:

Calories: 2808
Protein: 135g
Carbohydrates: 392g
Fats: 78g

Last edited:
Associate
Any one able to give me some pointers on macros for a lean bulk?

Diet I am clueless about. So much info on the web etc...

I used this macro nutrient calculator. (Other calculators give different macros)

I punched in my details (36yrs, 5 foot 8, weight 68.1kg and muscle gains) and even on the Light activity option the macros are way above what I currently eat.

For example it suggested this:

Carbs: 252 G per day.
Protein: 168 G per day.
Fats: 62 G per day.

I'd have to force feed my self to eat that many carbs. I don't have a problem with this if I knew it was the right thing to do.

Does that even look vaguely correct?

This one comes back with different macros:

Calories: 2808
Protein: 135g
Carbohydrates: 392g
Fats: 78g

Macro calculators differ depending on the formula they are based upon. They only provide a guide so make sure you adjust based on your weigh-ins.

Personally I'd try:

Protein: 150g
Fats: 60g
Carbs: 340g

That's 2,500 calories with 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight, fats high enough for healthy hormone production and carbs being made up of whatever calories you have left.

Eat that for a week, if you are not gaining, add more carbs :)

Soldato
Macro calculators differ depending on the formula they are based upon. They only provide a guide so make sure you adjust based on your weigh-ins.

Personally I'd try:

Protein: 150g
Fats: 60g
Carbs: 340g

That's 2,500 calories with 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight, fats high enough for healthy hormone production and carbs being made up of whatever calories you have left.

Eat that for a week, if you are not gaining, add more carbs :)

Thanks mate.

Soldato
Be aware there's less of a requirement for being strict with macros in a surplus - aim to hit your calories and if you want to swap some carbs out for fats or vice versa, or end up a little lower on protein at the expense of the other two macros and are still hitting your calorie goal it doesn't matter too much.

Man of Honour
We need a new powerlifting totals thread :)

Into a decent rhythm at the moment (haven't plateaued for over a year), although an imminent holiday will mess that up again (for some reason I lose squat strength for 1-2 weeks, although it all then comes back stronger than ever!). Having felt my squats were weak a few weeks ago I had my strongest session yet on Monday. Have settled into 2 rest days a week and have increased my calories significantly. Now putting milk into my protein shakes plus more peanut butter. Don't seem to be adding fat, but am certainly adding mass.

Next problem is that my work suits (my 3rd set in 3 years) are getting tight. Having gone from skinny, to tailored to regular I am not sure where to go next! Jackets are easier with chest size increase, but trousers don't have the appropriate leg room! Pretty much all my other clothes are too tight now, even the t-shirts that up to this point stretched. I have gone from small to medium to large - extra large next I guess!

I have never been happier with the way I look and am also lifting sensibly and now always stick to my program. It has been quite nice having a few people in the gym (who I respect for their own gains) compliment the weights I can move.

My next concern is that now I am getting into my 30s my testosterone will start to decrease (probably already has).

Soldato
Having just got back to squatting I agree with the totals thread :D
Though the last few (including mine) submissions to it never got added to the OP :(

I've also gone and got myself a new tattoo, on my shoulder, so just having got back to squatting I'm having to take a break haha

Soldato
I've hit my heaviest ever weight of just over 84KG at the end of my bulk, and hit a new 1RM flat barbell bench press of 130KG :D:D:D

Time to cut to get rid of this little bit of gut i got during my bulk!!

Soldato
I've hit my heaviest ever weight of just over 84KG at the end of my bulk, and hit a new 1RM flat barbell bench press of 130KG :D:D:D

Time to cut to get rid of this little bit of gut i got during my bulk!!

I would love to be your heaviest weight. Im currently sitting at 104.8kg but thats down from 126.6kg last september. its a work in progress.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Making slow progress in the gym. Had a couple weeks out when I was ill, been back 2 weeks now. Keeping squats light and not doing deadlifts, seems I've hurt my lower back probably due to the right side tightness constantly creating imbalance.

Managed 100x7 bench press which was nice. Weigh 77kg currently, still lean.

Man of Honour
Have picked up some Test Xtreme that has a load of Fenugreek and Maca Extract in it that have been shown to boost testosterone levels. Given that mine are probably dropping with age I figure this can't harm.

Soldato
Have picked up some Test Xtreme that has a load of Fenugreek and Maca Extract in it that have been shown to boost testosterone levels. Given that mine are probably dropping with age I figure this can't harm.

The only thing that raises test levels meaningfully is... test, ergo why TRT perscriptions for older guys (50+ usually) are a thing. Natural test-boosters aren't going to do much compared to lifting and Unless they're spiked with pro-hormones.

https://examine.com/supplements/fenugreek/
https://examine.com/supplements/maca/
https://examine.com/stacks/increasing-testosterone/

Man of Honour
The only thing that raises test levels meaningfully is... test, ergo why TRT perscriptions for older guys (50+ usually) are a thing. Natural test-boosters aren't going to do much compared to lifting and Unless they're spiked with pro-hormones.

https://examine.com/supplements/fenugreek/
https://examine.com/supplements/maca/
https://examine.com/stacks/increasing-testosterone/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20979623

I'll take any natural marginal gains I can get, even if it is probably down to a perceived psychological boost :D

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

Looks at age, 32.. same age as me. 32 isn't old! I still feel strong and energetic in the gym. Aiming to be the best shape of my life in a year or so. Previous best shape was 26-27, but injuries.

Man of Honour
Looks at age, 32.. same age as me. 32 isn't old! I still feel strong and energetic in the gym. Aiming to be the best shape of my life in a year or so. Previous best shape was 26-27, but injuries.

I feel old :p :D

But no, to be fair I am in the best shape out of anyone in my gym currently bar maybe 1-2 people.

Back
Top Bottom