1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by spluff, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Skidder

Man of Honour

Funnily enough the stronglifts app gave me exactly the same advice yesterday, saying you stalled 3 times on OHP get some 0.5kg girly plates or words to that effect. I am doing so.

Edit: and ordered

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  2. neoboy

Capodecina

Smallest I could see at my gym are 1.25kg plates, didn't feel too bad bumping up to 52.5kg OHP.

3. Skidder

Man of Honour

I have 1.25kg plates which are fine for everything else but OHP has been a bind to make progress on

4. neoboy

Capodecina

I imagine it will be a while until I put another 2.5kg on. In fact I'm not increasing any weights on squat or deadlift until I find out why I'm getting such sore hips all of a sudden.

Also deloading my press (dumbbells) from 38kg to 28kg this week. Thinking about it, I'm doing pretty badly at this gym thing at the moment :p

5. Somnambulist

Sgarrista

1.25kgs are almost always the smallest a gym will have, which is fine for large number of men and how most people in gyms train (rep ranges), but if you're on the lighter side of things as a male or for most women generally, 2.5kg jumps on a barbell for upper body stuff end up being too great if the goal is straightforward 'add weight every session, do same reps' and/or mean you'll have to start doing something different quicker because 2.5kg jumps are easier for someone weighing 90kg than someone who is 60kg (or a little 50kg laydeh). The old 1kg PB can be a useful way to eek out linear progression for longer before resorting to periodisation, if set numbers are your thing.

6. Syla5

Mobster

Yeap nothing wrong with investing in some micro plates. Also nothing wrong with OHP stalling 3 times and then doing a 10% drop and build back up again.

7. Skidder

Man of Honour

:) I'm sort of looking forward to the deload and little plates so I can make some progress. Everything else has felt so satisfying by comparison

Also thinking to deload the squat a little as I know my depth has reduced on the last couple of weight increases. Was at 135kg yesterday and sure I can do better depth rather than moving the weight up

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  8. Deception

Soldato

Its what I always do on OHP and can always play around with stance, to see what sorts you best (coming from a guy who alters between narrow and staggered depending on how I feel haha).

9. Syla5

Mobster

@Skidder were you the chap that got the 3"belt?

10. kaptainmarc

Mobster

i stalled on OHP for ages, dropped the weight and did 5x10 my old 5x5 feels like childs play now :)

11. Deception

Soldato

Yea, volume on lower weight has always been a good way in terms of progression when I started lifting again.. Well for OHP

12. Skidder

Man of Honour

13. Syla5

Mobster

Have you used it yet to deadlift? If so how are you getting on with it?

14. Skidder

Man of Honour

Yes I've used it, makes a big difference for me over the 4inch in terms of digging in. I'm 5ft8 and the 4 inch I can't get in a position where set up doesn't feel really awkward, this one I can. It's a bit stiff still but I think will soften up nicely in time.

15. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

I have tiny little girl wrists (<7" in circumference) and am starting to struggle on the last few sets when it comes to holding the bar on the heavier benches My issue is with my wrist bending back a little. No pain just a feeling of lack of stability and a small ganglion cyst that becomes more prominent after benching (located under my palm). No discomfort from the bump and usually goes away by itself, until next time. I am not pushing around much weight though 80/85kg.

advice?

A friend has suggested wrist wraps but that sounds a bit silly for how little i am pushing

16. neoboy

Capodecina

It's not silly if it's helping.

17. Syla5

Mobster

Wrist Wraps 100%, they are predominantly an injury prevention item rather then an assistance item.

18. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

Thanks guys, will give them a go

19. Delvis

Caporegime

Just started up a HST routine, body's going to hate me

20. Deception

Soldato

IN! I should hopefully be restarting my log for the 143432 time once i get a week off work.. Need some motivation to want to go at 6am every day haha. At least I got some of the 'oldies' logging again for competition haha