*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Not TLDR at all, that's interesting, thanks

Very much in the desk job category. I walk quite a lot and do quite a lot of active stuff but not enough to make up 9 hours a day at a desk!

just found a BMR calculator which suggests BMR = 1,815

I like running but pretty much eliminated when started SL, not sure whether I should layer a little back in.

I use 3 different BMR calcs and take the average. I average 6-7k steps per day but I don't do any cardio outside of 5 mins fast warmup for my workouts. According to my tracker my TEE has been 2.6k per day for the last 3 weeks, but I know I have actually only been eating 2.3k per day which means I should have consistently lost weight over 3 weeks, but I haven't. This is why I calculate down for my own PAL.

I am bedding in my diet before I use cardio to aid weightloss, and when I do it will be HIIT cardio, potentially fasted in the mornings as well, so only 15-20 mins total.

Permabanned
I know @mrthingyx said they probably wont help, but I personally find my wrist supports do help create a more stable chain from bar to elbow when benching. If its the end limit of your current position that is causing the pain, the wraps may well help by stopping you getting right to the limit of your wrist position.

As much as I don't advise this to anyone normally, have you tried benching (without your gloves and) without wrapping your thumb around the bar? Resting your thumb along the bar rather then around it changes how it feels, and could help stop the pain. Get a spotter if you can for these sets or make sure the catch bars are set so that any drop isn't going to crush your chest.

I've tried boss, but it just doesn't feel comfortable or safe to me at all. I'm not the strongest of chaps and my stabiliser muscles aren't quite where I'd like them to be so the fear of the bar slipping is always there when I've tried. I suppose I could lower the weight to somewhere where I might feel comfortable doing so but...

I ordered some supports last night so hopefully they do actually make somewhat of difference. Will report back tomorrow :)

Edit: I must stress btw that I'm not purely doing strength lifts. For instance, whilst I always start with them, they're followed up by 4/5 lots of accessory exercises at a reasonably high set and rep range. I'm aiming primarily for hypertrophy (please don't hurt me...) and not necessarily to break PR's every other week. There's a reasonable chance that the issue stems from poor from on cable flys, DB press etc. Though the issue often rears it's head shortly after the main strength press so I just assumed it's that. Could well be that I'm doing too much and am just stressing certain nerves more then others, despite how quick my general recovery is.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've tried boss, but it just doesn't feel comfortable or safe to me at all. I'm not the strongest of chaps and my stabiliser muscles aren't quite where I'd like them to be so the fear of the bar slipping is always there when I've tried. I suppose I could lower the weight to somewhere where I might feel comfortable doing so but...

I ordered some supports last night so hopefully they do actually make somewhat of difference. Will report back tomorrow :)

I've been using wrist wraps on bench for a little while, partly cos I aggravated an old injury (few pages back I mentioned having to take some time off due to play fighting ...doh). My bench is pretty feeble, only just over 80kg but the wraps do make my wrist feel more secure and stop me being concerned about it. They haven't though made me any less of a weakling!

I use 3 different BMR calcs and take the average. I average 6-7k steps per day but I don't do any cardio outside of 5 mins fast warmup for my workouts. According to my tracker my TEE has been 2.6k per day for the last 3 weeks, but I know I have actually only been eating 2.3k per day which means I should have consistently lost weight over 3 weeks, but I haven't. This is why I calculate down for my own PAL.

I am bedding in my diet before I use cardio to aid weightloss, and when I do it will be HIIT cardio, potentially fasted in the mornings as well, so only 15-20 mins total.

Before I started SL I was doing some HIIT as well as some very random weight training in the gym. May be good to introduce some HIIT alongside SL. If so same day or rest day?

Soldato
I've had a lot of success with LISS if you can spare the time and are not a fan of HIIT.

I do 30-45mins each day on a 10% incline, walking fast at 7kph. Burns a surprising amount of calories. I do usually end up internet shopping and buying loads of crap though...

Soldato

Edit: I must stress btw that I'm not purely doing strength lifts. For instance, whilst I always start with them, they're followed up by 4/5 lots of accessory exercises at a reasonably high set and rep range. I'm aiming primarily for hypertrophy (please don't hurt me...) and not necessarily to break PR's every other week. There's a reasonable chance that the issue stems from poor from on cable flys, DB press etc. Though the issue often rears it's head shortly after the main strength press so I just assumed it's that. Could well be that I'm doing too much and am just stressing certain nerves more then others, despite how quick my general recovery is.

If the thumbless grip is more comfortable then work on getting used to it. Do you not have catchers on the bench that you can set to a height that makes you more comfortable or could you not ask for a spot? Regardless of how light the weight is, a spot is about safety and people will understand that.

Before I started SL I was doing some HIIT as well as some very random weight training in the gym. May be good to introduce some HIIT alongside SL. If so same day or rest day?
I used to do the HIIT at the end of my lifting sessions but I plan to add it in fasted, training or not doesn't matter then as I train in the afternoons. I would cater the number of times I do HIIT per week to how well weight loss is going. The slower I am losing weight, the more HIIT.

Man of Honour
Does cronometer not do metric for liquids? I can only see fluid ounce or cup. Seems mental given only the septics are hanging on to these measurements. Is there a switch somewhere i haven't toggled?

Soldato
Does cronometer not do metric for liquids? I can only see fluid ounce or cup. Seems mental given only the septics are hanging on to these measurements. Is there a switch somewhere i haven't toggled?
As far as I remember Cronometer's limited to the values someone entered when creating the entry in the database.
I tried to stick to things that had grams, or resorting to google for conversions

Man of Honour
Thanks, somewhat tempted to switch to myfitnesspal as i think I may find it annoying, although the other aspects of cronometer seem much better

Soldato
Gents, trying to write myself a new program but i'm having some trouble. I'm looking to work it into a 10 day 'week' as this works with my shift cycles at work. I have a leg day, chest/shoulders day and back/biceps day, and I'd like to get 2, maybe 3 cardio days in. If possible, I'd like to do each weights day more than once in a 10 day cycle because working legs for example once in 10 days there's a lot of wasted time. But as i say, having a nightmare trying to squeeze it all in and in what order. Any advice, please drop it in. Cardio is generally treadmill intervals or cycle rides (sometimes 20 mile, sometimes 60 mile)

5'7, and weigh 70kg. Athletic build with a bit of fat, but crazy big legs. Looking to build strength in legs, strength and size in upper body. :)

Man of Honour
Gents, trying to write myself a new program but i'm having some trouble. I'm looking to work it into a 10 day 'week' as this works with my shift cycles at work. I have a leg day, chest/shoulders day and back/biceps day, and I'd like to get 2, maybe 3 cardio days in. If possible, I'd like to do each weights day more than once in a 10 day cycle because working legs for example once in 10 days there's a lot of wasted time. But as i say, having a nightmare trying to squeeze it all in and in what order. Any advice, please drop it in. Cardio is generally treadmill intervals or cycle rides (sometimes 20 mile, sometimes 60 mile)

5'7, and weigh 70kg. Athletic build with a bit of fat, but crazy big legs. Looking to build strength in legs, strength and size in upper body. :)

Do a "Mon/Wed/Fri" weight split with cario on the "Tues/Thurs?"

Soldato
Push, legs, rest, pull, cardio, push, rest, legs, pull ,cardio, rest?

You'll have to chop and change things after seeing how your body handles it. If you eat enough and balance your intensity and volume you could probably drop some rest days and compress the workout.

Soldato

A frequency of hitting the same muscle every 3-5 days seems ideal for most people, so 10 days is more than enough to do each workout twice.

Legs, push, pull, cardio, rest, legs, push, pull, cardio, rest would be fine.

Soldato
Do a "Mon/Wed/Fri" weight split with cario on the "Tues/Thurs?"

Easy for me to not have enough time because of my shifts on a few days :(

Push, legs, rest, pull, cardio, push, rest, legs, pull ,cardio, rest?

You'll have to chop and change things after seeing how your body handles it. If you eat enough and balance your intensity and volume you could probably drop some rest days and compress the workout.

This is similar to what i had brain-stormed :) will be giving ita whirl in the next week or so; Need to get my current 1RM's done first

Soldato
Did my first full Novice strongman competition on sunday.

Didnt all go to plan but it was a great day and I now know my weaknesses :) time to get training again.

To anyone who thinks they might like to do one, I would highly recommend it!

Back
Top Bottom