*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
It's going slowly but forward. I'm not so worried about losing weight, I'd rather reshape what I have. I'm working on being more effective with meal plans where I'm mainly trying to cut down the carbs.
I want more a more enduring strength than brute strength as that would be more helpful at work and better for me generally.

The bench I'm looking at is foldable and will fit in between the footend of the bed and the wall so it will be out of the way when not being used. And my room is a bit L-shaped so the weights will be out of the way for my toes when not being in use as well.
I get fed up replies like what I'm about to say, so bear in mind that this is coming from a sense of shared situations and goals, and I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be and have a lot further to go...

With that said, in my experience "reshaping what's there" is an intention that will fail to deliver results. I spent years avoiding my basic Calories-in-vs-Calories-out problem by trying to lift weights instead. That made me strong but it didn't reshape much.

It was only when I reduced calorie intake that I actually saw changes in shape - and they were pretty fast and dramatic.

I'm not sure what you mean by "enduring strength" - are you trying to combat fatigue later in the day? I found I crashed on the afternoons after my old carb-heavy lunch. Your diet plan should help there. Magnesium intake might be worth looking at. Vit C and iron too.

I never used to think I'd ever say this, but I recommend running. I do ParkRun each weekend, and it offers so many benefits. The hardest part is getting out of the door, but get past the threshold, and you're sorted.

Good luck.

Soldato
I agree with the calorie deficit. Fiddling around with carbs and such wont do much if the amount of calories you ingest remains similar. As far as reshaping the body goes, this requires to lose fat and gain muscle and the best way to do this when you start out with excess fat, is simply to lift heavy and often while on a minor calorie deficit.

If you weigh 100-120kg (taken from your post about the bench) and are looking at those small dumbbells then i would guess that you have some bad weight to lose and some good weight to gain before you hit your goal.

I am also a bit confused about 'endurance strength'. If you struggle with day to day stuff, just getting stronger and losing the excess weight will help massively and again this is done by gaining muscle and losing fat. A beginner with excess fat most certainly can and often does gain muscle while melting fat at speeds most body builders would be envious of.

After a few months, your technique will be down and so will your weight, while what you are lifting has rocketed. Then you can re-assess whether the calorie deficit is the best way to achieve your new goal.

Associate
I get fed up replies like what I'm about to say, so bear in mind that this is coming from a sense of shared situations and goals, and I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be and have a lot further to go...

With that said, in my experience "reshaping what's there" is an intention that will fail to deliver results. I spent years avoiding my basic Calories-in-vs-Calories-out problem by trying to lift weights instead. That made me strong but it didn't reshape much.

It was only when I reduced calorie intake that I actually saw changes in shape - and they were pretty fast and dramatic.

I'm not sure what you mean by "enduring strength" - are you trying to combat fatigue later in the day? I found I crashed on the afternoons after my old carb-heavy lunch. Your diet plan should help there. Magnesium intake might be worth looking at. Vit C and iron too.

I never used to think I'd ever say this, but I recommend running. I do ParkRun each weekend, and it offers so many benefits. The hardest part is getting out of the door, but get past the threshold, and you're sorted.

Good luck.

I agree with the calorie deficit. Fiddling around with carbs and such wont do much if the amount of calories you ingest remains similar. As far as reshaping the body goes, this requires to lose fat and gain muscle and the best way to do this when you start out with excess fat, is simply to lift heavy and often while on a minor calorie deficit.

If you weigh 100-120kg (taken from your post about the bench) and are looking at those small dumbbells then i would guess that you have some bad weight to lose and some good weight to gain before you hit your goal.

I am also a bit confused about 'endurance strength'. If you struggle with day to day stuff, just getting stronger and losing the excess weight will help massively and again this is done by gaining muscle and losing fat. A beginner with excess fat most certainly can and often does gain muscle while melting fat at speeds most body builders would be envious of.

After a few months, your technique will be down and so will your weight, while what you are lifting has rocketed. Then you can re-assess whether the calorie deficit is the best way to achieve your new goal.

I know there is going to be needed further changes in nutrition to get better results. It's something I'm working on but the struggle of rotating between day/night shifts is a pain in the backside for the diet.

With enduring strength I would probably say I mean of stamina than brute force, I wouldn't say I struggle with day to day stuff, but at work it can be very repetitive with moving patients and equipment and want/need to improve both cardiac/muscle stamina.

At the moment I'm about 106,5kg and I don't mind the actual weight, it's just that the body with the weight looks pretty **** at the moment :D I have though lost about 8kg this year though.

Soldato
I know there is going to be needed further changes in nutrition to get better results. It's something I'm working on but the struggle of rotating between day/night shifts is a pain in the backside for the diet.

Prep food, its not difficult and saves time over the week. For my working week I make 5 lunches on a Sunday night, stick them in the fridge, job done.

At the moment I'm about 106,5kg and I don't mind the actual weight, it's just that the body with the weight looks pretty **** at the moment :D I have though lost about 8kg this year though.
At what height?

Associate
Prep food, its not difficult and saves time over the week. For my working week I make 5 lunches on a Sunday night, stick them in the fridge, job done.

At what height?

I'm fairly good at food prepping, but it's the bleeding snacking on the shift that is the problem (but it has improved since I started to leave my wallet at home). I'm 185cm tall.

Soldato
I'm fairly good at food prepping, but it's the bleeding snacking on the shift that is the problem (but it has improved since I started to leave my wallet at home). I'm 185cm tall.

If you account for your snacks and eat the right kinds of food it will be much easier to manage. Before I planned my diet again recently I was buying snacks from the machine everyday at work, plus coffees with coffee mate in and hot chocolates.

Switched to black coffee, and given my self a portion of nuts to eat each day that a snack on. I have yet to feel hungry and I am eating probably 750 cals less per day then I was before.

Weight loss is all about diet and self control. Other things to mention is you cant turn fat to muscle, you lose one and build the other but we aren't alchemists.

Permabanned
My wrist and thumb of my left hand have started playing up something rotten. I initially thought it may have been general weakness in the stabilising muscles, seeing as it's my non dominant arm, but now I'm not so sure.

It doesn't hurt often. It dissappears almost entirely after ive finished a heavy chest or arm session, but it's still a bit irksome whist it's there.

Would you guys recommend wrist supports at all? Is thst even likely to make a difference?

Man of Honour
My wrist and thumb of my left hand have started playing up something rotten. I initially thought it may have been general weakness in the stabilising muscles, seeing as it's my non dominant arm, but now I'm not so sure.

It doesn't hurt often. It dissappears almost entirely after ive finished a heavy chest or arm session, but it's still a bit irksome whist it's there.

Would you guys recommend wrist supports at all? Is thst even likely to make a difference?

Unlikely to make a difference. Switch to dumbbells.

Permabanned
Unlikely to make a difference. Switch to dumbbells.

Tbh, it's rare I use the BB outside of my 5x5 compound strength movements. I use it for flat pressing and OHP, neither with particularly heavy weight. The rest is mostly just accessory movements using cables or DBs.

I'm doing OHP's today so I'll see how it feels after then. Might just be temporary thing but if it continues for much longer imma have to get it looked at.

Man of Honour
Tbh, it's rare I use the BB outside of my 5x5 compound strength movements. I use it for flat pressing and OHP, neither with particularly heavy weight. The rest is mostly just accessory movements using cables or DBs.

I'm doing OHP's today so I'll see how it feels after then. Might just be temporary thing but if it continues for much longer imma have to get it looked at.

You are probably impinging the nerves in your palm, so you could do with a pad on your palm as you bench.

Caporegime
Recently started with the weights again. Back in the day I used to do the typical bro split which gave me decent results, but now I think I'd prefer frequency over intensity. Is this plan alright?

Monday: Squats, calf raises
Tuesday: OHP, bench press, bent over rows
Wednesday: Squats, calf raises
Thursday: OHP, incline bench, pull ups
Friday: Squats, calf raises
Saturday: OHP, bench press, deadlift
Sunday: Rest

Maybe some arms and abs thrown in too.

Cheers.

Man of Honour
Recently started with the weights again. Back in the day I used to do the typical bro split which gave me decent results, but now I think I'd prefer frequency over intensity. Is this plan alright?

Monday: Squats, calf raises
Tuesday: OHP, bench press, bent over rows
Wednesday: Squats, calf raises
Thursday: OHP, incline bench, pull ups
Friday: Squats, calf raises
Saturday: OHP, bench press, deadlift
Sunday: Rest

Maybe some arms and abs thrown in too.

Cheers.

Have a look at Christian Thibaudeau's "best damn workout for natural lifters" because ethat goes into frequency over intensity.

And ditch the calf raises. ;)

Permabanned
You are probably impinging the nerves in your palm, so you could do with a pad on your palm as you bench.

I typically wear gloves when lifting, mostly because I seem to have a mild reaction to certain typs of metals, particularly if I touch my face before I get the chance to wash my hands. They seem relatively padded on the palms but not significantly so. Need to pick some new ones up anyway so will have a ganders for something a bit thicker :)

Also, goddamn the OHP. My favorite lift by a country mile but it completely floors me every time it comes around. Using a strength lift program for my compound movements and even at such a reduced rep range the progress is slow at best. Haven't moved from 50KG for a few weeks now... A common issue I know, just wanted to vent about it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I typically wear gloves when lifting, mostly because I seem to have a mild reaction to certain typs of metals, particularly if I touch my face before I get the chance to wash my hands. They seem relatively padded on the palms but not significantly so. Need to pick some new ones up anyway so will have a ganders for something a bit thicker :)

Also, goddamn the OHP. My favorite lift by a country mile but it completely floors me every time it comes around. Using a strength lift program for my compound movements and even at such a reduced rep range the progress is slow at best. Haven't moved from 50KG for a few weeks now... A common issue I know, just wanted to vent about it.

Some barbells are nickel-plated... So this makes sense. Although it could just be they're roughing up your delicate skin. ;) :D

Practically, the padding in gloves is not really a good idea because it slows your hands' adaptation to what they're doing... However, padding to get over an acute issue isn't a bad idea, although resting completely would probably be better. :)

I found the best thing for OHP is to drop the weight and go nuts with volume: sets of 10-12 for a weight you feel somewhat uncomfortable with.

Soldato
Will be back on it this week after being out for over a month due to wrecking my back/spine. Decided to take some time away from strength training and focus on high volume for that extra calorific burn. Will be also making the prowler sled the main part of my workout, as well as some complexes, so will definitely be feeling the burn!

Sorry @mrthingyx You may not see me lifting 100kg on OHP this time around haha, although I did get pretty close! I will be making it up as I go, so may throw in the odd strength session.

Man of Honour
I meed to work on getting rid of my gut. Strong lifts is still going well enough. I've had a lot of travel recently that has hit my frequency some weeks but in general still heading in the right direction.

I am definitely stronger than I was when I started out. My shoulders and back changing shape and legs too. Slow progress but I'm in my mid 40s.

My gut though is way too flabby and time to change that. I just used a maintenance calculator and that is suggesting around 2370 cals a day for maintenance (I'm 5ft8 and 86kg approx). My fitness pal is saying 1500 calories a day after exercise for weight loss. Should I be aiming for approx 2000 before considering exercise? I don't want to lose strength and want to at least maintain my lifts. As well as SL I do a fair amount of paddle boarding and kayaking and stuff like that. Should I build in any more cardio or just keep lifting? I do the water stuff for fun rather than exercise.

Thoughts please :)

Soldato

I know @mrthingyx said they probably wont help, but I personally find my wrist supports do help create a more stable chain from bar to elbow when benching. If its the end limit of your current position that is causing the pain, the wraps may well help by stopping you getting right to the limit of your wrist position.

As much as I don't advise this to anyone normally, have you tried benching (without your gloves and) without wrapping your thumb around the bar? Resting your thumb along the bar rather then around it changes how it feels, and could help stop the pain. Get a spotter if you can for these sets or make sure the catch bars are set so that any drop isn't going to crush your chest.

I need to work on getting rid of my gut.

I am definitely stronger than I was when I started out. Slow progress but I'm in my mid 40s.

Thoughts please :)

Knowing your numbers is hugely important and overlooked so often, it becomes even more important as you get older. Not just the number of CALs you need but where they come from (the Macros).

Macro breakdown is just as important as knowing how much you should be aiming for.

Energy Expenditure (EE) = BMR * PAL modifier (Physical Activity Level) = Cals required to maintain.

Negative EE = weight loss target
Positive EE = weight gain target

A usual rule of thumb per day -500 to lose +500 to gain, but everyone is different so you will need pay close attention to how you react to your planned diet.

Obviously a calorie deficit is where you need to be, but the hard part is knowing what Activity level modifier to apply and also how you breakdown you calories in to their macros.

If you have a desk job even if you workout 4 times per week you are only really looking at low PAL, I personally use 1.4 (typical UK officer worker range is 1.4-1.69) on workout days and 1.15 on none workout days, something that people forget, we don't workout every day so activity needs to be calculated on a daily basis. Although PAL of 1.15 is extremely low I have found over the years personally that figures always tend to come out on the high side of requirements at least for me.

My calcs are as follows:

EE workout day = 1700*1.4 = 2400 *4 days per week = 9600
EE non workout = 1700*1.15 = 1955*3 days per week = 5865

Weekly EE = 15,465

So I am currently aiming for -700 cals over a week on EE target as I want to lose weight but in a controlled slow manner.

I have read in a few places that the older we get the less we should be relying on carbs as a calorie source and should in fact favour a higher protein and fats diet. Being 36 I am aiming more towards higher proteins and fats and less carbs.

My current macro breakdown aims for calories from Protein / Carbs / fats as follows: 35% / 35% / 30%.

TL/DR: know your numbers, don't over estimate activity level, track intake, and tweek only small elements of the plan at a time.

Man of Honour
Not TLDR at all, that's interesting, thanks

Very much in the desk job category. I walk quite a lot and do quite a lot of active stuff but not enough to make up 9 hours a day at a desk!

just found a BMR calculator which suggests BMR = 1,815

I like running but pretty much eliminated when started SL, not sure whether I should layer a little back in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom