*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
:D

It's basically there, but if I was to sit on my butt on concrete and roll over at the wrong angle it'll hurt for sure

That's good I guess. It's a very frustrating injury.

Pull day yesterday. Couldn't deadlift 60kg without pain...I don't know what's wrong. I then lifted 40kg off the floor one handed no problem.

I'm booking a session with a coach.

Caporegime
That's good I guess. It's a very frustrating injury.

Pull day yesterday. Couldn't deadlift 60kg without pain...I don't know what's wrong. I then lifted 40kg off the floor one handed no problem.

I'm booking a session with a coach.

Pain as in your cocyx? If so, it's kind of how the body moves when pulling off the floor. Hard to get around without persevering gently and time..

Anything else, do as Syla5 said

Soldato
Pain as in your cocyx? If so, it's kind of how the body moves when pulling off the floor. Hard to get around without persevering gently and time..

Anything else, do as Syla5 said

I'm seeing a physio at the moment. She's a relatively old lady, though, so i don't know how well paired we are. I'm giving it a couple of months to see if she actually helps me though. If not, I'll see if she can move me onto someone who's had more experience with weight lifting. Case in point - she told me that lifting 100 kg was an awful lot. I though, I know it's not nothing, but I'm sure I'm capable of more!

This coach will be able to help me a lot more anyway, and the physio is on the NHS.

The pain isn't in my coccyx, it's my lower back and more on one side than the other. It could all be to do with me having tight hamstrings, and that's one of the things the physio is helping me with.

Caporegime
Ah okay, could be all sorts

Hamstrings, hip flexors, glutes, your feet.

Helps if you see someone properly catered to sports injuries rather than an NHS one, I've found they rarely quite understand

Soldato
So, I got a bit bored and ended up working out everyday for the past week instead of every other day as I have been doing since I first started lifting weights. It feels great. I've got much more energy, I'm pushing through my workouts more quickly, and one thing I wasn't expecting - all my niggling injuries seem to have cleared up in the space of just the one week. Even my stubborn golfer's elbow that I'd been trying everything to cure without success for months. I can barely feel it now. I'm a bit of a loss to explain that, tbh, but it's a great bonus. Anyone else experienced that sort of thing happening?

I can't think why I never thought to try this before...

Man of Honour
Just picked out some myprotein preworkout plus (they didn’t have any decent flavours in the cheaper version). Problem is, it is slow release - probably not ideal at 6pm. Going to give it a try on Friday after work just in case.

Crazy how being back in work affects me, I come into the gym like a mad man. Destroyed my previously plateaued shoulder workout tonight. Deadlifts should be interesting next week.

Associate
cleaned up diet. Going around 670c 100f 295p now. Also been restraining myself from ego lifting now, doing bench and squat in higher rep ranges. Debating deadlifts...

Caporegime
Almost passed out deadlifting earlier this week. Was attempting 125Kg and managed 3 reps before feeling rather faint.

I sat down and was ok after a few minutes, moving into shoulders and upper back, but it was worrying.

Maybe I was straining / not breathing properly.

Man of Honour
Almost passed out deadlifting earlier this week. Was attempting 125Kg and managed 3 reps before feeling rather faint.

I sat down and was ok after a few minutes, moving into shoulders and upper back, but it was worrying.

Maybe I was straining / not breathing properly.

You may also just need to get used to it. On occasion I will stay down after my final rep rather than rushing to stand up.

Get into position for the deadlift, deep breath and brace, then lift. I exhale slightly on the way down. Get to the bottom, repeat. It takes a while for your cardiovascular system to adapt.

Soldato
I noticed something last night that I'd hand strong suspicions about previously. I was doing RDLs, and might right arm "hangs" significantly lower than my left arm when it's under tension. I have also noticed that during my deadlift, my right side seems to be under a bit more tension than left.

I don't know if it's all a misnomer, but it might link to why my deadlift is **** and why my right lower back hurts so much.

Man of Honour
I noticed something last night that I'd hand strong suspicions about previously. I was doing RDLs, and might right arm "hangs" significantly lower than my left arm when it's under tension. I have also noticed that during my deadlift, my right side seems to be under a bit more tension than left.

I don't know if it's all a misnomer, but it might link to why my deadlift is **** and why my right lower back hurts so much.

How is your mobility and what is your posture like!?

Soldato
I think I'll go with the @reiyushin program. I like to have days to focus on mobility and 6 a week's not going to allow that!

Those who do it, what for warm ups? I usually go for:
Empty bar,
+20kg 5, +20kg 5, until within 20 of the target
then 2 10 kg steps.

Also I've not done much front squatting, never done a 1RM for it. Would I just use my back squat 1RM for the calculations?

Man of Honour
I'm no expert just started front squat having done regular for months. My front squat is much lighter cost the whole thing feels completely alien compared to normal squat which feels fine.

Man of Honour
Looks like my golfer's elbow is coming back again, argh.

Annoying. Mine has gone now, but it was with me for a good 6 months. Annoyingly it gets aggravated completely out of the blue and it’s too late by the time I realise.

I think I'll go with the @reiyushin program. I like to have days to focus on mobility and 6 a week's not going to allow that!

Those who do it, what for warm ups? I usually go for:
Empty bar,
+20kg 5, +20kg 5, until within 20 of the target
then 2 10 kg steps.

Also I've not done much front squatting, never done a 1RM for it. Would I just use my back squat 1RM for the calculations?

I still follow it (Except for squats and I only do one chest session a week with a cgbp session later on). Deads I’ll go 70x5, 110x5, 150x3-5, 190x3, 210x1-3 and so on. I only do empty bar for chest. Chest I’ll go bar, 60x5, 80x5, 100x5, 110x3-5, 120x3-5 and so on. I usually use smaller increments as I get closer to my max.

My front squat eventually lagged behind, but initially I used the same max for the calculation.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hmm. Mobility is mostly good, but when my back aches I suppose it can be reduced. I have no trouble getting around etc

I think my posture is OK. It's good when I'm standing, sitting perhaps not so good. I sit down/stand up at work every 30 mins.

The reason I ask is that this sounds a lot like a posture/mobility issue. Shoulders "hanging lower" on one side or another is not a good sign (not that you'll explode or spontaneously combust) because it suggests a problem with your resting muscle tone, probably ingrained from having suboptimal posture which comes from something tight somewhere...

Chances are it is a rotator cuff issue, coming from a scrap fixation issue, etc.

Soldato
The reason I ask is that this sounds a lot like a posture/mobility issue. Shoulders "hanging lower" on one side or another is not a good sign (not that you'll explode or spontaneously combust) because it suggests a problem with your resting muscle tone, probably ingrained from having suboptimal posture which comes from something tight somewhere...

Chances are it is a rotator cuff issue, coming from a scrap fixation issue, etc.

I could see that. I spend a lot of time leaning to one side when I'm sat at a desk and more often than not, I stand on one foot, my right foot. I've never had a single problem with my rotator cuff, for what it's worth.

Any advice as to what I can do about it?

Man of Honour
I could see that. I spend a lot of time leaning to one side when I'm sat at a desk and more often than not, I stand on one foot, my right foot. I've never had a single problem with my rotator cuff, for what it's worth.

Any advice as to what I can do about it?

Generalised mobility, really, as well as yoga. It's difficult to recommend without seeing photos and videos ( :eek: ), but a good trainer/physio will be able to go in for specifics. In general... start with stretching your back (foam rollers), lats (rollers, tennis balls, resistance bands) and pecs (golf balls - :eek: ). Then consider bucketloads of lightweight resistance work focussing on your scapular/shoulder positioning: practicing perfection is the best way to perfection... sample exercises:
  • single arm rows and presses
  • lateral raises
  • lat pull-downs (uni/bi-lateral provided your positioning is good)
  • deadlifts
  • front squats
  • reverse delt flies
The important thing is to focus on what your back is doing and ensuring yoru positioning is immaculate: this may take some time to get right because it sounds like your brain has it pegged in the wrong place. This is where a physio comes in useful (second pair of eyes!), but you can *kind of* replicate it by standing in front of a mirror or proprioception work (ask Google/Youtube) with a laser pointer...

Back
Top Bottom