*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
After a little bit of advice, started on 5x5 StrongLifts over the last few months but I’m noticing that my core is very week.

Is It worth throwing in one or two core exercises or should I just carry on, keep an eye on my form and focus on bracing/utilising my core during lifts?

I was thinking of throwing in some planks and hip lifts at the end of my workouts to get some focussed training but I’ve been told by a more experienced lifter that my core will catch up as long as I keep proper form and properly brace.

Same goes for my arms too, I know these are a lot smaller so get hit hard when it comes to compound lifts. But if I have small limbs is it worth throwing it supplemental exercises it should I stick the the routine and wait for them to catch up? I can already feel my OHP stalling at a relatively low weight. Same goes for BP, my arms tire way before my chest and I’m concerned this will limit me once I get on to heavier weights. I’m currently using dumbbells rather than barbells if that makes a difference.

Your core will be fine if you lift properly... Where your form is good.

Put some deadbugs or dragon flags or barbell rollout if you want specific gains.

And OHP always stalls after five minutes... Just keep at it.

Soldato
Just wondering if anyone can suggest some shoulder accessories,
After injury my right front delt in particular has weakened,
I've got some front raise band work that I'm doing 3 times a day, but I've not got any sessions with the physio left, so was looking for some tips.

I've started some light Arnold presses, and standing OHP.
But looking to build the strength back

Man of Honour
Just wondering if anyone can suggest some shoulder accessories,
After injury my right front delt in particular has weakened,
I've got some front raise band work that I'm doing 3 times a day, but I've not got any sessions with the physio left, so was looking for some tips.

I've started some light Arnold presses, and standing OHP.
But looking to build the strength back

Shoulder dislocations, rotator cuff and capsule mobility work, scap fixation work (i.e. deadlifts and rows), pec stretches.

The best outright exercises are dumbell strict press (standing) and push-press with slow negatives, but in all likelihood you duffed your delt up because you couldn't control your shoulder (...). So fix your shoulder and the strength will follow from there.

Otherwise, just watch Youtube videos on "huge shoulders" and prep for injury again in around 6-12 months. :)

Soldato
Well, according to the physio the injury was where my neck connects to the collar bone, and as a result my front delt/shoulder/trap all worked to stabilise the injury resulting in a heap of problems.

So good news, I'm already doing
Shoulder dislocations
rotator cuff and capsule mobility work.
Deadlifts and rows and pec stretches. :)
Also shrugs were prescribed, first time ever doing them haha

Looks like this is one of those annoying situations where I'm doing everything and it's just more time on it...... :/

Man of Honour
Well, according to the physio the injury was where my neck connects to the collar bone, and as a result my front delt/shoulder/trap all worked to stabilise the injury resulting in a heap of problems.

So good news, I'm already doing
Shoulder dislocations
rotator cuff and capsule mobility work.
Deadlifts and rows and pec stretches. :)
Also shrugs were prescribed, first time ever doing them haha

Looks like this is one of those annoying situations where I'm doing everything and it's just more time on it...... :/

Welcome to injury-ville. :)

Another interesting question would be what you were doing to injure that patt of your anatomy...

Soldato
Welcome to injury-ville. :)

Another interesting question would be what you were doing to injure that patt of your anatomy...
I was doing it wrong :p

Well, not 100%, but we reckon it was when doing a clean & press that I'd shrugged the weight up, and on the way down I'd held the shrug and the weight pulled the shoulder/collar bone down damaging the neck muscle.
But yeah, physio was confused for a while too haha

Man of Honour
I was doing it wrong :p

Well, not 100%, but we reckon it was when doing a clean & press that I'd shrugged the weight up, and on the way down I'd held the shrug and the weight pulled the shoulder/collar bone down damaging the neck muscle.
But yeah, physio was confused for a while too haha

Erm... If that is the case I would be reasonably concerned at what your shrug looks like because the weight should start through your traps. :eek:

Soldato
No video to hand, and any I might have would probably be too old really.
I'm planning on getting back into it when I'm more recovered, so I'll be stripping weight back and I'll post some stuff to make sure I don't break again :)

Soldato
Well after a very long hiatus, I'm now back in the gym. I say just, that was 4 weeks ago.

Really struggled to be honest. Pleased so far though

weight +4kg
chest +3cm
arms +1cm
legs +1cm
bodyfat +0.4%

Eating just over 2,800 calories a day

Man of Honour
Start of the week was great. Chest PBs for reps on Sunday, Leg PBs for reps on Monday - both of which allow me to increase my 1 rep maxs for the next cycle. Then Tuesdays back session and Thursdays shoulder session were both pathetic. Really tired this week and have lost my appetite a little too, I think it is just work taking its toll. Hoping for a good deadlift/bicep session today like I had last Friday. I just need to wake up more!

Edit: I forgot, I've also bruised a rib somehow :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Start of the week was great. Chest PBs for reps on Sunday, Leg PBs for reps on Monday - both of which allow me to increase my 1 rep maxs for the next cycle. Then Tuesdays back session and Thursdays shoulder session were both pathetic. Really tired this week and have lost my appetite a little too, I think it is just work taking its toll. Hoping for a good deadlift/bicep session today like I had last Friday. I just need to wake up more!

I have had a really off week too!

I failed my 5x5 squats @125KG on Wednesday, combination of a bad headache and low energy so probably should have given myself a day off. Only managed 5/5/5/3/3.

Today is Squats, OHP and Deadlifts, so lets see how that goes.

Man of Honour
Better day today. After deadlifts and shrugs I tried rows from the safety bars. Felt like a good movement actually, might throw those again. Good to mix it up every now and again.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Anybody have any advice for fixing golfers elbow? started in January and just cant shake it, given it plenty of rest and try to build the gym back up slowly but it always returns with vengeance.

Man of Honour
Anybody have any advice for fixing golfers elbow? started in January and just cant shake it, given it plenty of rest and try to build the gym back up slowly but it always returns with vengeance.

How long were you resting it for? As in "doing nothing?"

Tendinosis injuries have a nasty habit of moving to chronic modalities if you don't sort them quickly, so I would strongly advise you to find a sports physio to help with your recovery.

Remember not to turn this into a medical thread, too... :)

Back
Top Bottom