*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
Well, just when things get better I'm down to only 4 fingers on my right hand for a week or so after a little accident :D

First off, sorry to hear this: I thought it was only when my kids where younger that they didn't know they only had four fingers on each hand... And one thumb. :D

Hope it wasn't too traumatic: what happened (if I may ask)?

Soldato
:D

Long story short my fingers ended inside the car alloy and as the car was raised the wheel spun around and my pinky got crushed between it and the braking caliper.

Somehow it didn't break but it literally took my fingerprint layer of skin off and the nail isn't long for this world. Also got infected because of all the grime and braking dust despite a healthy iodine dose. Can't really bend the finger at the moment and it's very swollen with some funky colours to boot.

Soldato
Was throbbing like crazy all day and turned funky colours so bit the bullet and went to minor injuries in the evening after work.

At least they confirmed that bones are good after x-ray, so they cleaned it up, gave me more iodine and wrapped it up to a point I can't bend it at all.

This is the point you realise how much you need your pinky in every day life, can't even hold a pen properly and didn't know I used it so much during typing!

Man of Honour
Was throbbing like crazy all day and turned funky colours so bit the bullet and went to minor injuries in the evening after work.

At least they confirmed that bones are good after x-ray, so they cleaned it up, gave me more iodine and wrapped it up to a point I can't bend it at all.

This is the point you realise how much you need your pinky in every day life, can't even hold a pen properly and didn't know I used it so much during typing!

Glad to hear it is "OK..." :eek:

Soldato
Well, this year has been bad gym wise with all the little and big injuries so at least I have an excuse to be a fat **** now in December :p

Man of Honour
I'm on week 5 of Madcow and seems to be the right programme for the moment. I have edged (not really broken) through previous plateaus. Bit dawnted about the projected increase over the coming weeks given how much my progress had slowed on SL.

Man of Honour
Was just looking at one of the strength calculators and all my lifts are nicely intermediate for my age now and some pretty well into that category but my OHP is very much stuck in novice.

Man of Honour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NyJPgBUREw

Worth a watch. I've been keeping my legs slightly wider during deadlifts the last couple of sessions (before coming across this video) and it really helps. Eddie also keeps his feet pointing straight on that I’ll give a go.

but my OHP is very much stuck in novice.

Pretty standard. OHP is by far my weakest and slowest lift to progress. It doesn't help that shoulders are hammered by everything, so are usually fatigued by the time I get to them.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Good deadlift video. Could have done with that yesterday! Managed 1 rep on 150kg then failed. Still that's highest I've gone. Not helped by quite a big night out the night before. Did manage 5 reps no bother on the OHP at puny PB of 50kg.

Last edited:
Soldato
6 weeks into the bulk, 3000 Kcals a day. I've been having plenty of ups and downs. Strength initially shot up but I think I am out training my surplus, so on the weekends where I am a lil less strict, I tend to lose some strength when my daily intake drops.

Weighed myself again yesterday and I'm sitting on 68kg. Usually the solution is eat more but I start a new job tomorrow, so double daily seshes 6 days a week is off the tables now. I'll see how things go at 2800-3000 daily, as I doubt I'll be able to dedicate the same amount of time for training.

I'm excited for the spring time cut already but I got to get the gains in now if I wasnt to make it count!

Man of Honour
6 weeks into the bulk, 3000 Kcals a day. I've been having plenty of ups and downs. Strength initially shot up but I think I am out training my surplus, so on the weekends where I am a lil less strict, I tend to lose some strength when my daily intake drops.

Weighed myself again yesterday and I'm sitting on 68kg. Usually the solution is eat more but I start a new job tomorrow, so double daily seshes 6 days a week is off the tables now. I'll see how things go at 2800-3000 daily, as I doubt I'll be able to dedicate the same amount of time for training.

I'm excited for the spring time cut already but I got to get the gains in now if I wasnt to make it count!

You know you grow when you rest, right? Your body needs to recuperate and repair the damage you have done to it at some point...

Unless you're a pro, supplementing or whatever, training six days a week is not a great idea for gains. And double sessions on days? Also not great.

Wind it back, get four days of quality training in and that will be more than enough for most humans - even relatively experienced gym-goers.

Soldato
Yeah can't say I've found results that different from where I hammered the gym 6 days a week, compared to 4 (or even 3 good sessions). Well, apart from not feeling every day like I've been kicked around the night before :D

I'm on 2100 calories right now so things are on a grim side. Should hopefully return to the gym this Wednesday for a lighter session so can up the calories a bit. After initial 24 hours, the recovery has actually been good and have most of my mobility back in the finger.

Even have some feeling back now and pain is vastly reduced, just hope lost skin and nail grow back normal as the top third of the pinky looks pretty gnarly at the moment. Have it plastered when I'm out in public so I don't scare small children :D

Next 6 months are still going to be about weight loss for me so not chasing any serious numbers around on power lifts but if I don't go off the rails with the diet, should hopefully start concentrating on strength come summer time.

Soldato
I've been following the stronglifts routine for the last month and a half and I'm back up to 100kg squats. Hoping you guys could critique my form.

I don't think my bracing is great still but it's slowly getting better. My head is also forcing itself up, I addressed this after watching the vid back though.

I think I've probably only really got another 10kg in my squats. What happens when I can't finish sets in stronglifts?

Man of Honour
I've been following the stronglifts routine for the last month and a half and I'm back up to 100kg squats. Hoping you guys could critique my form.

I don't think my bracing is great still but it's slowly getting better. My head is also forcing itself up, I addressed this after watching the vid back though.

I think I've probably only really got another 10kg in my squats. What happens when I can't finish sets in stronglifts?

If anything, your movement is OK but you tip forward slightly (watch your feet as you squat).

There isn't anything massively wrong, so I wouldn't worry.

How heavy are you and how tall?

Soldato
If anything, your movement is OK but you tip forward slightly (watch your feet as you squat).

There isn't anything massively wrong, so I wouldn't worry.

How heavy are you and how tall?

Thanks, for watching. I have been trying really hard with my squats so I'm happy I'm finally getting somewhere. Now I need a big fix up of my dead lifts.

I'm 5'9", 67kg.

Man of Honour
Thanks, for watching. I have been trying really hard with my squats so I'm happy I'm finally getting somewhere. Now I need a big fix up of my dead lifts.

I'm 5'9", 67kg.

On that basis a 100kg squat is nothing to sniff at. :cool:

140kg would be better, but hey. ;)

Based on your weight (and you don't look like a powerlifter to me) you are progressing just fine and may actually benefit from specific training...

Back
Top Bottom