*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Checking in 5 weeks into my bulk. I've had to up the calories to 2800/3000 as I did that thing where you subconsciously up intensity and volume due to a fear of gaining fat and ended up removing the surplus. I had my first weigh in at 4 weeks so I didnt pussy out of the bulk after seeing the initial water weight gain... managed to drop from 69kg to 68kg :rolleyes:.

Now what scares me more than gaining fat is limiting progression. Luckily lifts are really coming along with the extra food. Hit my dumbbell press on at 35kg for 5 reps after my first week of bulking and yesterday managed 40kg at 4 solid reps and tenuous last rep :p

Here's a video of me managing to finally pump out a few chest dips with a bit more added weight (2×13kg). With the weight shifting me forward, I get to push the dips at an angle not too dissimilar to decline press.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5QdR7UnqWV/?igshid=8j8h7nj8f41n

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Checking in 5 weeks into my bulk. I've had to up the calories to 2800/3000 as I did that thing where you subconsciously up intensity and volume due to a fear of gaining fat and ended up removing the surplus. I had my first weigh in at 4 weeks so I didnt pussy out of the bulk after seeing the initial water weight gain... managed to drop from 69kg to 68kg :rolleyes:.

Oh I know that feeling. When I started my bulk in September I lost a couple of kg. Probably for the same reason as you. I typically hugely underestimate the calories I need.

I’ve stopped weighing myself now and just eat everything in sight. If I’m getting stronger I’m happy. If my weight drops I swear it psychs me out.

Soldato
Oh I know that feeling. When I started my bulk in September I lost a couple of kg. Probably for the same reason as you. I typically hugely underestimate the calories I need.

I’ve stopped weighing myself now and just eat everything in sight. If I’m getting stronger I’m happy. If my weight drops I swear it psychs me out.

Maybe i should avoid the scales myself. I plan to cut for summer, so I really dont want to waste the winter in no mans maintenance calorie land. At only 5'6" it seems ridiculous how much I have needed to eat but when i look at the hours logged, then it's not all that surprising.

I am keeping a few Mason jars of overnight oats ready in the fridge to fit in between meals and when I get peckish. Myprotein cashew butter making them an absolute treat!

Man of Honour
Weigh yourself at the same time or at the same point in your routine (such as after your morning SSS).

Also, if you lose weight with volume you aren't eating properly. Yes, there is water loss from carb use, but come on: eat EVERYTHING. And if you get fat, at least you'll be properly strong for your size.

Practically, if you're eating enough brotein, then just have a second helping of one of your meals. :cool:

Soldato
Weigh in I do at night before bed. My food has been pretty consistent and progress has been coming at a rate I havnt seen since starting.

That said, if I'm not gaining weight, I just think I'm missing out on some progress which a bit of fat would be a small price to pay in return.

I'll see how 2800/3000 treats me for a bit longer before cracking out the nutella sandwiches. Got my 24 month photo due in 9 weeks, so I gotta make sure I get some more meat on these bones before then

Soldato
Well.. Its been a long few months since my injury, but think I'm ready to get back 'onnit'. Although its gonna be bloody freezing in the mornings now! Need to stay away from most compounds until core/spine is in check.. So lots of prowler yet again and trying to resist the temptation to squat/deadlift for awhile.. Wish me luck haha

Soldato
It's that time of the year, sickness is everywhere! I got struck down on Sunday but I should be find for Saturday's "max out" day - Just after a pause squat PB and maybe a deadlift PB but more doubtful on that one.

Man of Honour
It's that time of the year, sickness is everywhere! I got struck down on Sunday but I should be find for Saturday's "max out" day - Just after a pause squat PB and maybe a deadlift PB but more doubtful on that one.

It’s also bulk season :D

Currently just cycling weeks 1 and 2 of your programs and then upping the weight. Love feeling this energetic.

Permabanned
So I did it!! After a year of frustration and set backs I finally pulled 100kg last night! Baby weight I know but it's been a long, arduous journey to get here.

It almost didn't happen and I'd quietly resigned myself last week to putting it off until January. I'd PB'd 90kg 20 minutes beforehand and I started to take the plates off until I thought 'there's a little left in the tank, might as well set the camera up and see how my form is trying to go for it'. Couldn't believe I actually managed to get the weight up tbh!

Watching it back my forms a little skewiff. Bar moves too much before the lift, feet aren't properly positioned on the first rep, shoulders are too rounded because my backs weak as **** and I still really have to try nail my breathing, but I'm just chuffed I managed to hit it with as good a form as I did.

Won't be touching this weight till after Christmas now. Like I said I know where I want to improve my form and I really want to nail it before going much heavier.

Thanks to everyone here who's given me tips and pointers with regards everything this year. It really has helped a lot :)

Soldato
I also pulled 100 kg last night for the first time in months, so I'm with you dude! One thing we were focusing on last night was how I put the weight down, and you're making a similar mistake to what I am from what I can see - remember to hold the breath in for the whole lift, and on the way back down make sure that you hinge at the hips. Your hips should break before you lean forward, so that the motion up and down is virtually identical. You're probably in the same boat as me - I'm so happy to actually get the weight off the floor and getting it back down again seems irrelevant.

It also looks a bit like you're using your arms to lift the weight instead of them being essentially dead - see the bend about half way up.

Man of Honour
That indeed works and you probably are overthinking it. I wouldn't personally round my back as I come back down, but I know plenty of big lifters who do - either drop it or control it back down.

Continually review your form and keep it as strict as possible, but don't overthink it. When I plateau I am generally either not eating enough or am overthinking my lift.

Permabanned
Yeah tbh it's one part of the lift I've never really paid much attention to. It just never really gets mentioned when you hear people talk about form, so much focus is given to just getting the weight up safely. I'll try bare it in mind next week and see how it feels :)

Soldato
Actually seem to be having success with my golfer's elbow by eliminating and replacing exercises that hurt it. Seems if I do things with neutral grip (close grip pull ups, hammer curls, row with dumbbells, etc) then there's little pain and it seems to be going away in general now too.

Man of Honour
My elbow pain just comes and goes, but its barely there currently. Bench aggravates it, especially close grip. All you can do is manage it as best you can. My left bicep and AC joint are the most sore parts of me at the moment - I think low bar squats have aggravated my bicep and I doubt my 200kg+ shrugs have helped my AC joint. All part of the fun.

Back
Top Bottom