The 5 year plan to £50k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I'm 31, and I do van driving, delivering beds.

Hobbies are computing, games, technology, that kinda thing.

FWIW I have an honours degree in Electronics, but my first grad job was an utter disaster and it destroyed all enthusiasm I had for the sector.

What happened? Did it genuinely destroy your enthusiasm, or your confidence?

Soldato
It's a peculiarly British thing this prudishness when it comes to earnings. It's the first thing people ask you in Hong Kong.

It's usually an insecurity thing. Same in NZ I've found. Because most average people here earn average wages and usually have no savings and a lot of personal debt, you're expected to be in the same boat as everyone. Anyone perceived to be responsible with money or ambitious seemed to be classed as a National supporter (the ruling government) who just don't share the 'concerns of the average Kiwi'. However, this might just be a Christchurch thing. It's really just a small village with an even smaller mentality, which is part of the reason I'm outta here in December.

I guess since there's tons of Brits here and a lot of 2nd generation Kiwis are also of British stock, that prudishness and propensity to blame the world for what they don't have is engrained in their psyche. If anything, it's amplified a bit more.

Caporegime
I'm also with Richdog on this.

I get paid around 40-50% more than a similar software dev would in London, but I'm well under paid since I am working in a start-up and i trade base salary for stock o[ions and flexibility working life. i could easily move to finance or IB and get a 50-70% pay rise. And I'm not living in London, I have a 4000s*** house tthat cost me less than a a London flat would cost.

My wife is actively look for jobs. Occasional a position in the UK turns up and she earn currently earn literally 3X those UK positions offer, and those are in London, oxford, Cambridge etc. the same Jobs in Switzerland pay 4x the UK equivalents, with much less tax and similar to cheaper house prices as London.

You can get a massive pay rise moving aboard, pay less taxes on it and have cheaper housing and living costs.

Soldato
What happened? Did it genuinely destroy your enthusiasm, or your confidence?

Both, looking back at it. I know I need to be more enthusiastic and confident in what I do, but it's quite hard to be both when i'm just... not.

I feel that enthusaism and confidence isn't something you can really just force.

As for the story, i'm happy to go into it but is it wise to do so on a public forum? :)

Soldato
I get paid around 40-50% more than a similar software dev would in London, but I'm well under paid since I am working in a start-up and i trade base salary for stock o[ions and flexibility working life. i could easily move to finance or IB and get a 50-70% pay rise. And I'm not living in London, I have a 4000s*** house tthat cost me less than a a London flat would cost.

I have nothing to add apart from it took me a couple of seconds to work out why s q f t was being censored. :)

nas

nas

Associate
Both, looking back at it. I know I need to be more enthusiastic and confident in what I do, but it's quite hard to be both when i'm just... not.

I feel that enthusaism and confidence isn't something you can really just force.

As for the story, i'm happy to go into it but is it wise to do so on a public forum? :)

I think it's a matter of finding the right field of work that determines how far you go. The more it suits, the less laborious you'd find it and in turn the more enthusiastic you'd be about reaching new heights within that field - the environment will also push you given you're more likely to be surrounded by other likeminded individuals who are as ambitious or even more ambitious than you are - call it peer pressure perhaps? IMO it's a positive from this angle, especially once reaping the rewards of doing well.

Last edited:
Soldato

I can't see why not. I mean this in the nicest way possible, considering the fact that nobody knows who you are, nobody really cares, nobody will remember 3 seconds after they've clicked out of this thread, you're in the clear. If someone like the OP (or any of us) can learn something from your post, I only see upsides.

Caporegime
I'm also with Richdog on this.

I get paid around 40-50% more than a similar software dev would in London, but I'm well under paid since I am working in a start-up and i trade base salary for stock o[ions and flexibility working life. i could easily move to finance or IB and get a 50-70% pay rise.

unless you've got a job offer or previous experience then I'd not necessarily make that assumption - plenty of PhD types want to break into finance and even of those who do plenty of the roles they tend to get aren't necessarily the sort of roles they want that would pay the telephone number pay packages they'd heard of. Basically lots will end up as an IT headcount albeit maybe with the title 'quant developer'

Permabanned
Heya, just bumping for the annual update. 3 years in now so well over half way. I heard about the cat and taking it for walks etc. so hopefully some interesting other developments to inspire the next generation who may just be just beginning their journey to a higher salary.

Sorry for being 1 day late with the bump, I did set an outlook reminder but it was in my work calendar and I was on annual leave yesterday doing some bits and pieces round the house.

Caporegime
Well, I mamaged it since the start of this thread. Only problem is it's with ridiculous amounts of overtime. Thing is, I want to move up, but the next step in my line of work will mean a bump in basic but no OT, so I'll be earning considerably less than I am now.

Hmmmmmm.

Soldato
Heya, just bumping for the annual update. 3 years in now so well over half way. I heard about the cat and taking it for walks etc. so hopefully some interesting other developments to inspire the next generation who may just be just beginning their journey to a higher salary.

Sorry for being 1 day late with the bump, I did set an outlook reminder but it was in my work calendar and I was on annual leave yesterday doing some bits and pieces round the house.

Not much else has happened, think he was made redundant at some point last year, think the cat still dislikes him. Can't believe its been 3 years already!

Soldato
I've always had this odd goal in my mind to be on 75k by the time I'm 30. Seemed very unrealistic without a uni degree.

I'm getting there and reached the magic 50k+ at 26yo without a degree. It's just me I guess, trying to prove my point to my mum and stepdad who said I won't achieve much without a uni degree :o

We'll see how the next 3 and a bit years workout.

Associate
I too have managed this since this thread was first started. In fact this thread was started 1 month after I started with my current employer. I'm 31 in September (and going to be a dad for the first time in October! :D)

Since starting on 25k as a lowly Credit Analyst in June 2014 I have made it to being a Senior Analytics Manager, 65k. It's been hard work, with a lot of studying and exams on the side, learning software and learning how to properly manage and develop a team from scratch.

Also have my own property and rent business on the side with a few properties. Unfortunately mostly inherited due to deaths in the family, but I thought to make the best of a bad situation. 2 investment properties as well. Pretty much manages itself with very little time required from me, aside from yearly tax stuff and dividends.

Caporegime
I think OP has given up on this goal, as I said on page 2 of the thread I don't think trying to pursue something purely for money is necessarily a smart thing to do but certainly could be achieved well within the timeframe proposed (if motivated and able to cope with the various options - plenty of people posted careers that could feasibly net over 50k within the proposed timeframe). 5 years is also ample time to get an undergrad degree part time, especially if you have lots of free time during periods of unemployment.

congrats to the people who have achieved their goals though I hope that more importantly than the salary you're happy with the work you do :)

Caporegime
Official job title doesn't actually represent my work but very much a devops role.

well surely the easiest way to turn your 50k+ job into one that exceeds 75k before you're 30 is simply to do the same thing but as a contractor? (I don't know about devops specifically but given the general sorts of rates typically payable in London you ought to exceed your goal by a fair bit)

Soldato
well surely the easiest way to turn your 50k+ job into one that exceeds 75k before you're 30 is simply to do the same thing but as a contractor? (I don't know about devops specifically but given the general sorts of rates typically payable in London you ought to exceed your goal by a fair bit)

yup :) that's the plan in the next 2-3 years! go contracting and pull in 500-600/day. Right now I like the stability of a perm role.

Soldato
I thought I was doing quite well until I read this thread!
I have had a decent career after graduating in 1992. I have worked for two firms in that time albeit in a number of different roles and disciplines. the first ten years of my career were in production management. First job was straight out of Uni and paid £10,500. I managed to nudge that up to £16k by the time I left the component supplier I was at where I was a Production Manager. My next role was in a much bigger factory and lifted my basic up to £22k but also included a shift premium and over time. I pretty much doubled my earnings that year albeit worked longer hours and had the struggle of shift work (earlies/lates). I also did an MBA whilst in these roles

By the time the factory was closed in 2002 I had reached a quite senior role as a Shift Manager and was probably on about £44k. At that point I stayed in the same firm but shifted into sales and marketing and took a more junior role to learn the ropes - fortunately I kept my level and salary. Last year I made Director level and whilst I got a half decent rise I'm probably a bit underpaid for the responsibility.However I do quite enjoy the challenge albeit business is really tough at present and I suspect we will have to cut a lot of cost out. I earned six figures last year for the first time and I am appreciative that this is a good salary compared to many people who struggle to live.

Rightly or wrongly so I have taken the decision not really change my lifestyle in that period. I still live in the same house I bought 21 years ago albeit extended. I guess I am slightly risk averse but also not that materialistic therefore I have opted to try and be debt free soon. I'll achieve that next year if I want to and then plan the next ten years. I don't want to work with this level of hassle and responsibility forever. I would consider a career change for the last part of my working life, maybe to something more meaningful! My Mrs in part time in the NHS and we have focused on the children while they were growing up. Money isn't everything. I want to have options in the future and never be trapped in something that I hate just because I've bought a big house to rattle around in. you tend to make the biggest jumps in salary in the early parts of your career and beyond where I am now you really need to be prepared to work a lot more (in my industry at least). I work c50 hours a week but I see my family and have time to ride my bike and play the odd computer game! For me its all about balance and will be even more so in a few years time when I plan to make the most of what good health I hope to enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom