The 5 year plan to £50k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I took a risk leaving my first position after uni (a perm role) for a short contract as it was a lot more cash than I was on and felt like a good next move for various reasons.

Think I lasted 3 or 4 weeks before they offered me the role perm which I took.

That sums up my contracting career in 15 years of working ;)

Love reading everyone’s career journeys, good stuff :)

Soldato
1: Move into a management role
I've done this before where I led a team and did half management, half technical. I just don't get anything out of managing personally. I've managed a football team. Loved it. But in business...it's just not me. I prefer staying technical.

2: Go contracting

3: Become a master of a specific technology / area, or of something in high demand (Cloud engineer, specific Programming language)

4: Become a Project manager (the most over paid bunch of incompetent people I tend to come across. Yes, some are ok.)

This is so accurate. It really irks me that European attitudes are basically Managers > *. In the US Engineering & Management can be on an equal footing wage wise, but over here you seem to hit a wall around £60k (outside of London, of course) and I don't see anyway through it! Extremely frustrating, I don't really want to move to London but the salaries there are mind boggling.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
One reason why I like being in tech pre sales, it’s still techy (enough) for me, no people management what so ever (arguably not much responsibility as well), but decent reward :)

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Passed the final exam, massive relief! No more studying until I decide I'm bored and start CTA. Onwards and upwards! :)

I failed mine, only got 43, got far too distracted with house buying and the excitement of it! Little did I know that the saga would be taking so long..... :D

Congratulations!

Caporegime
Not accurate though right? I was 30 at the start of this year and I'll be 32 at the end of the next.

He could have been 27 at the start of 1999, then turn 28, then come 2009 be 36 at the start then turn 37. Right? :confused: :p

nope

you have one birthday a year

if you're 27 and 28 in 1999 then you can be 37 and 38 in 2009

so if we know someone was 28 in 1999 then we know they might have been either 27 or 29 too in that year

they can't then also be 36 in 2009 - that is a 2 year gap...

Soldato
nope

you have one birthday a year

if you're 27 and 28 in 1999 then you can be 37 and 38 in 2009

so if we know someone was 28 in 1999 then we know they might have been either 27 or 29 too in that year

they can't then also be 36 in 2009 - that is a 2 year gap...

Does it really matter!?!? Bad as Grammer Nazi's....lol.

Let people post their success and experiences, doesn't have to be 101% accurate with dates :)

Caporegime
Does it really matter!?!? Bad as Grammer Nazi's....lol.

Let people post their success and experiences, doesn't have to be 101% accurate with dates :)

It doesn't matter, it was just posted as an aside when I congratulated the guy. Seemingly some innumerate people have then gotten confused and quoted me since then and I've replied to them.

Associate
What difference does that make in terms of the role itself?

The nature and complexity of the projects mainly - I manage large tech projects.

A lot of project managers struggle to grasp technical concepts that surround complex projects, especially if they have a business background. What usually happens is they translate the mandate/proposal into a context that they can understand and miss important deliverables, dependencies, risks, needed resources etc. Having a technical background makes it much easier to engage with technical resources, break down projects into manageable work packages and communicate the solution to a business audience without their eyes glazing over :p

Caporegime
ah fair enough, I guess we were fortunate at my old place in so far as any project manager who didn't have some technical understanding wouldn't last in the first place - in a sense they were all "technical" project managers albeit we had no need to draw a distinction - most project managers came from the professional services division and has accumulated several years as consultants first working on installations/upgrades etc.. we had a PMO office in R&D which performed more of an admin/reporting function though one of the admin girls there (who had a technical degree and gained several years experience with the software) did become a project manager too.

Associate
Sorry if this has been suggested already, haven't read all 95 pages - but you could become an air traffic controller.

Several ways to get into it, I self-sponsored my training but I believe NATS are recruiting currently which minimise financial outlay on your part.

Caporegime
OP seems to have given up on his goal, not sure if that was suggested previously but sounds like a good shout for anyone else reading the thread and looking for suggestions :)

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Aren't air traffic controllers considered to have one of the most stressful jobs in existence? Granted though, it's an easy win to good money...

Caporegime
AFAIK it is supposed to be pretty stressful - though I guess as with anything stressful that can vary among individuals etc.. complex tasks requiring focus + people's lives on the line seem to be the stressful aspects. I guess if you're a sociopath with a high IQ then perhaps you'll find it a breeze...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom