The 5 year plan to £50k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
@Delvis - What is it you think is wrong with your LinkedIn profile?
Mine certainly isn't perfect (I dont maintain it often enough, and its a year out of date) but here it is if you want to poke around - [redacted].

Edit: Removed, if anyone wants it, send me a Trust. In the meantime, I'm going to post up my career history for a while (I can't leave it up but happy to lob it up here for a short time).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Man has bare skillz!

What route do you want to take? As a seasoned support analyst, you can really go anywhere with some training... more technical, networks, security, dev, sys admin, projects etc. What interests you?

Networking can be interesting, but I'd probably find it limited.

Sys admin? Are we talking AD, program management and gpo stuff?

Not sure what's under dev

Security,maybe, I kinda do some anyway in terms of AV management and program updates etc

Associate
I thoroughly enjoyed other people's career history (especially as they are open and honest unlike reading a sanitized CV), so I'll put mine up for the community, at least for a bit.

It is also a wall of text, so I'll stick it in tags.

Age 15, 1988, Left school. 5 GCSEs A-C.
Nothing special to show for my time there.

Salary £0K

Age 16, 1989, At the end of the year, booted off a National Diploma (ND) at college.
Mostly for lack of bothering and too much drinking.

Salary £0K.

Age 17, 1990, Spammed (using snail mail and stamps) every IT company in a 10 mile radius.

Which led to a couple of part time jobs, a lot of "We'll keep you on file" which is code for "Its in the bin", then landed a position at the local Royal Aerospace Establishment (RAE) six months after they initally interviewed me.

This was a massive lucky break.

I was a lowly Administrative Officer (I was 17, with all the worldly experience of a squirrel), and I worked in the Computing Department as a computer operator (doing all the feeding and watering of a big systems that is too menial for SysAdmins). I had exposure to Honeywell mainframes, VMS servers, a Cray supercomputer (it was liquid cooled and cost several million quid), some small things running an obscure OS called Unix etc.

I got paid shift allowance, some wierd thing called London Weighting Allowance and got sent to college 1 day a week for free! Life was great for 3 years. Finished the National Certificate and was shoved on a HNC to follow.

Unfortunately, as is common in the civil service, reorganisations come along, expensive consultancies are brought in, downsizing has to happen, costs need to be cut and departments have to close (at the same time that big contracts are given to expensive suppliers to provide new systems and make everyone else obsolete and everything else not work). And because an Admin Officer is an Admin Officer is an Admin Officer, I was shipped off to another deparment.

So I wound up in a role typing data into a database all day and producing boring spreadsheets and charts for another department. This was a department involved in making things blow up and putting pointy sharp things through other people+vehicles, but it was still really boring. And I lost all the allowances too. And I really lost faith in college who were using BBC Micros when I was used to seeing Silicon Graphics kit (used to create Jurassic Park!) and rooms filled with noisy hardware.

I looked outside to get back to my Operations / wannabe-SysAdmin roots.

Salary £8 - £12K

Age 22, 1992, landed a role at a aircraft manufacturing company who needed an operator.

I was back to my roots on a much smaller scale. HP Minis, and the rise of the PC, client-server and Microsoft.
Office was everywhere, email was booming from nowhere and I got involved in all of it as the company transformmed from dumb terminals to PCs, TCP-IP and internet connectivity. I also delivered the reports around the company. Bloody loved it.

We would get quotes and implementation plans from big expensive consultancies, play them off each other and work out what we needed to do ourselves.
Why pay £100K for some expensive guys in suits to come in and install everything when you can send the skinny kid off on a bunch of courses and he'll do it for peanuts working every hour he can? Which is what I did.

Did that for 5+ years until I worked out despite a yearly incrmental payrise I was massively underpaid for the skills and experience I now had.

Salary £14 - £18K (including shift work and overtime)

Age 25, 1998, went off to work for a systems integrator

I went to go and become one of the expensive guys in suits. Working across the country, often in the City, for big name firms, institutions, banks, brokers and other shysters. Given my previous salary and lack of proven experience in front of real business people, they paid me £20K to start with a promise to pay me in line with my colleagues when I had proved myself. Bought a suit and a shiny car.

Built servers and networks for banks, did troubleshooting for the stock exchange, did support for anything and everything.
A year or more went by, review time came and went, and nothing changed. Some of my colleagues already on double or more than me got massive payrises.
And I was fixing their stuff because they couldn't.

Salary £20K + car allowance. Bonus £0 (.

Age 26, 1998, decided to jack it in to go travelling.
Came back in time for 1999, the dot-com bubble was soaring.

Age 27, 1999, went back to work for the aircraft manufacturing company

They offered me my old role back for £18K. I knew they'd had multiple contractors in covering my old duties, what they were paying them, and laughed.
Went back to them for £28K.
COBOL millenium bug was a dull disappointment.
As was NYE2000 watching Robbie Williams on the telly. Nothing blew up.

Loved it, until one day I intercepted an email showing how the whole team (including the IT manager) was headed for closure, redundancy and outsourcing within weeks (if you are going to send emails like that with the associated documents - use the right ****ing email address and encrypt the contents!).

Jumped before I was pushed.

Salary £28K plus overtime.

Age 28, 1999, went to work for a company providing IT services to finance companies

Basic windows admin, lots of promise of learning new stuff.
Main responsibilities were actually to wear a suit, answer the phone and keep quiet and look busy.
Everything was actually run by a couple of contactors earning about £70K each and hoarding anything and everything.
Bored to death.

Salary £33K, no overtime, no bonuses, no prospects. Felt like I'd sold my soul.

About the same time I was introduced to my second massively lucky break while fixing their server one evening on a cash-in-hand basis.

Seems there is a limit on post size, so I'll continue in the next one :D

Associate
Continued

A small company was starting up in the UK, run by a couple of crazy aussies, and experienced contractors and graduates.

After an interview process which consisted of "Oh good, you're not wearing a bloody suit, what beer do you want?", "Is that heap outside really your car?" and "Can you play Counter-Strike?", I was talked into taking a trainee position for £30K.

Which considering the rates being paid for this stuff (£600 - £1000/day in the City) seemed like a no-brainer investment despite the initial pay cut.

Did a bunch of courses boot-camp style [in Sydney - woohoo, thank you crappy $AU exchange rates, it was brilliant!!!], came back to start being a expensive dayrate consultant just as the stock market plunged and the internet bubble went pop. Job market went to ****. Contract rates went to ****. Survived being on the bench, and learning as much as I could.

Crazy aussies mortgaged and remortgaged their house and kept the company afloat. Market recovered slowly, work started coming in and the more experienced consultants basically pulled the company back into solvency.

2001, some ass called Bin Laden flew a plane into a building. Stock Market was hit hard too, job market again went to ****. However I was finally put on a paid assignment (upto then, I'd been at clients for free) and proved myself.

And for the next 8 years, I went from assignment to assignment, sometimes just a few days, other times for many weeks, most often for months at a time.
Developing, Testing, Installations, Upgrades, designing and all the things associated with consulting for an ERP within large organisations.

Company went from strength to strength. Absolutely loved it. However the consulting life takes its toll, the hours add up, the weeks and months away from home ruin relationships.

The company was sold a couple of times, and ended up in the ownership of a much bigger company that had no idea what it had bought. All but a few of my colleagues had already seen the light and gone home to Australia or working for other companies.

In 2009 I too was done with it, jumping ship. A few months later the parent company went spectularly bust with debts all over the place.

Salary varied from £30 - £75K depending on experience, company health (both up and down!) and percentage of time spent earning money for the company.
I will always be hugely grateful to the guy that ran the company and the team spirit it instilled in every employee.

2009, Age 36, moped about, spent most of my savings, sat on my arse and indulged in Everquest2 which was a bad addiction I'd picked up working away from home for months. Went to an industry drinking event (hosted by a recruiter) to catch up with old mates. No idea how, but the next morning I had an interview arranged with a company doing a massive PeopleSoft implementation. Which is where I wound up here...

2009, Age 36, landed a contractor position in a FTSE 250 recruitment company

Joined a small team within a massive implementation and our sole responsibility was to take things other experienced developers had created and make sure they were migrated properly between environments. Scripted the **** out of what were manual processes and showed them what I could actually do.
Hard pressured environment, people in and out all the time. Survived and thrived.

£400/day rolling monthly contract plus weekend rates. Earned about £120K that year.
Probably lost a couple of major organs too due to afterwork drinking.

At the end of the contract when the implementation was live and many people were leaving for other projects, I was offered a permanent role.
Which leads me to where I am now.

I've been here for 9 years, and I'm involved in everything from development to design to senior management meetings and advising on strategy.
No direct reports, a lot of people in a big team I can call on (and occasionally command) when necessary.

Current headaches include wrangling GDPR rules onto a data massive ERP, security, external audits and keeping an offshore admin and development team for a UK business going in the right direction.

Age 2018, Age 44, Salary £85K plus annual 15-20% bonus, good benefits.

And that.. is that.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s probably my biggest career regret not going contracting earlier.

I've still never done it :( Also regret it. I would have done it sooner, it's just permanent roles have landed at the right time with ease and possibly luck.
I used to think it was reserved only for the elite and that I would never make it as would never be good enough! haha. How short sighted was I. Any Tom can be one, doesn't mean they are technically competent.

When I started out in IT, my first job was on a helpdesk. Salary I will always remember as it was an easy number: £11,123
At that point I was 18. I went to uni but instantly quit. Had good GSCSes and ok A levels. Had no idea what I wanted to do. I only went for the job because I was getting so much grief from the parents to not spend the rest of my life working in a supermarket full time. I could type at a reasonable pace but didn't really know computers that well. I'd never studied them. This is how I fell into IT.

Fast forward to now, I work in London and earn reasonably well by my own standards. I feel I am at a level where to earn more money requires one of the following:

1: Move into a management role
I've done this before where I led a team and did half management, half technical. I just don't get anything out of managing personally. I've managed a football team. Loved it. But in business...it's just not me. I prefer staying technical.

2: Go contracting

3: Become a master of a specific technology / area, or of something in high demand (Cloud engineer, specific Programming language)

4: Become a Project manager (the most over paid bunch of incompetent people I tend to come across. Yes, some are ok.)

I've kind of semi done 3 now, but in my field, the software is dying out and things are moving towards cloud. So I need to re-skill over the next year or so.
Interestingly, I think one of the ways I have been successful in my IT career is actually by being a jack of many trades and master of none. I've had an overlap in many of my roles into other teams, and worked closely to Infrastructure teams and dev and test teams. I've had to be quite adaptable. Someone once said to me that I shouldn't think of this as a bad thing, and that it's quite an employable trait. It's sometimes easy to sell yourself in interviews when you know a little bit about a lot of things, whereby "little bit" is enough to get by. I seem to have a habit of interviewing quite well, which is strange given that I don't really like public speaking or talking about myself!

I could never become a PM. I just could never get enthused about making sure other people have done stuff on time. I prefer doing, not talking.

Caporegime
4: Become a Project manager (the most over paid bunch of incompetent people I tend to come across. Yes, some are ok.)

if you go down that route the next trick is to brand yourself as a "programme manager" where you manage the project managers... for a very fat daily rate

you can even get MSc courses covering the subject with suitably prestigious brand names attached...

https://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/programmes/degrees/mpm

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wmg/education/wmgmasters/courses/masters_project_management/

Caporegime
if you go down that route the next trick is to brand yourself as a "programme manager" where you manage the project managers... for a very fat daily rate

you can even get MSc courses covering the subject with suitably prestigious brand names attached...

https://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/programmes/degrees/mpm

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wmg/education/wmgmasters/courses/masters_project_management/

Service delivery manager is surely the holy grail.

Just build up a layer of PMs, BAs, other random consultants and process managers for protection, then when stuff goes wrong or doesn't get delivered you just blame them. Untouchable.

Associate
Lot of hate for PMs/Prog Managers (yes there is a difference)! Granted there are a lot of poor ones around with most of them in the job for the wrong reasons, but a good one can have a hugely positive impact.

If it's something you have a natural capacity for it is certainly a good path the follow, especially if you are looking to go contracting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom