The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

What are good makes of Air rifle? I'm looking into getting a Co2 one.

My First time getting a Air Rifle, Surplusstore say they can deliver to my local gunsmith and I just bring ID with me.

Any Suggestions for a first timer?

Thanks

Just had a look on BAr website and there are some interesting fun guns about now. Havent looked for a long time so I was quite surprised you could still get realistic looking co2 guns.

http://airgunbuyer.com/details.asp?cat=Pistols&SubCat=CO2 Pistols&Product=3187

Anyone used one of these? Fancy getting one in the summer as I got rid of my Umarex smith and wesson and regretted it. This one looks even better and looks like the whole revolving chamber moves, rather than just the magazine like the umarex.

EDIT: Ahh it uses bb's. I'll keep looking...

Last edited:
As much as it pains me to do so, I think I might sell my BSA Ultra single shot. It is a brilliant bit of kit but I just don't use it at all :(

Anyone know of a good place to sell it?

The idea is not to cause the animal any suffering when shooting, to get that wrong is somewhat of a faux-pas.
But shooting live quarry depends on the reason; pest control, food etc. Simply for sport, like big game trophy hunting, doesn't really push any buttons for me either, but I've shot rabbits and other suitable species for airguns, however.
Worst thing to see is animals shot with the wrong firearm/ammunition - foxes and shotguns, for example; unless you're close it's just asking for the animal to escape and die slowly of infected wounds. But some folk don't care about that.

Oh ok.... I'm sure the animal will appreciate you not making it suffer. It's not like it being dead is any kind of problem.

Is it ok if I shoot someone in the head, to make sure they don't suffer? No? Then why's it ok to kill an animal that isn't doing any harm? It's sickening how humans treat things which we view as "lower" than us... for example the slave trade. People back then genuinely believed black people were inferior and therefore why should they be treated with respect?

I'm not saying shooting a fox should be punished as if it were a human, and I understand that if an animal is destroying an eco-system or poses a risk to humans it needs to be controlled. But people that shoot animals for no other reason than enjoyment disgust me.

I'm not really sure where racism comes into this :confused:

I suppose you're a veggie then? (nowt wrong with that imo)

But if you're a meat eater.... gtfo. ;)

Well as far as I'm concerned, rabbit is pretty tasty. So I was obliged to put its lights out without unnecessary drama. That required shooting it in the head.
Only difference between eating that rabbit and a steak or leg of lamb from the supermarket, was that for all of its life that animal lived wild; I didn't buy it all nice and clean and packaged and disassociated from where it really came from. I shot it and dressed it myself, cooked it too. Killing and preparing the meat that you eat is something every non vegetarian should do at least once. Reminds you of where our food really comes from.

I don't shoot live quarry merely for 'sport'.

Just for your information, there's lots of animals farmers consider 'pest' species, as they eat crops and livestock and animal feed - rabbits, rats, foxes, magpies, pigeons, mink etc. On the whole, shooting is probably the most humane way of removing these (as opposed to gassing, trapping, snaring, hunting with dogs etc). Only trouble is overzealous shooting of some species leading to their total eradication in some areas. But that's the reality of land management/farming that puts food, both animals and plants, in our supermarkets and on our tables. Not really a city perspective, seeing as all we do for our food is go and pick it off a shelf and put it in a basket most of the time. Don't forget, our species is a product of hundreds of thousands of years of eating animals and plants - that's not likely to change any-time soon.

I'm not really sure where racism comes into this :confused:

I suppose you're a veggie then? (nowt wrong with that imo)

But if you're a meat eater.... gtfo. ;)

Well as far as I'm concerned, rabbit is pretty tasty. So I was obliged to put its lights out without unnecessary drama. That required shooting it in the head.
Only difference between eating that rabbit and a steak or leg of lamb from the supermarket, was that for all of its life that animal lived wild; I didn't buy it all nice and clean and packaged and disassociated from where it really came from. I shot it and dressed it myself, cooked it too. Killing and preparing the meat that you eat is something every non vegetarian should do at least once. Reminds you of where our food really comes from.

I don't shoot live quarry merely for 'sport'.

Just for your information, there's lots of animals farmers consider 'pest' species, as they eat crops and livestock and animal feed - rabbits, rats, foxes, magpies, pigeons, mink etc. On the whole, shooting is probably the most humane way of removing these (as opposed to gassing, trapping, snaring, hunting with dogs etc). Only trouble is overzealous shooting of some species leading to their total eradication in some areas. But that's the reality of land management/farming that puts food, both animals and plants, in our supermarkets and on our tables. Not really a city perspective, seeing as all we do for our food is go and pick it off a shelf and put it in a basket most of the time. Don't forget, our species is a product of hundreds of thousands of years of eating animals and plants - that's not likely to change any-time soon.

Couldnt agree more, i do a lot of pest control, and its great taking the result of that home and eating it, pigeon, squirells and rabbit are great so fresh.
I also do enjoy the sport of it, the stalking and skill required in getting within range and taking the shot.

Best pistol

maybe a STEYR LP50

He probably means most powerful going by his posts in GD.

The Weihrauch HW45 is full UK legal power and is also a very well made spring pistol.

Just looked now and these are selling for £240. I bought mine for £160 from JS Ramsbottom years ago :(. Gutted I sold it for £100 as it wasn't getting much use. I should have just kept it as I'd love to have a few shots with it now.

EDIT: LOL ^

Pistols arent really for hunting unless your only after rats at 10 meters max.
Most pistols only run around 3-4ft/lbs anyway very few are full power.

Pistols arent really for hunting unless your only after rats at 10 meters max.
Most pistols only run around 3-4ft/lbs anyway very few are full power.

The HW45 runs at just under the legal limit. Well my .177 did about 5 or 6 years back.

You could get a stock and scope for it and it would make an ok ratter, although there are better rifles to use at that price.

Back
Top Bottom