The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Associate
can someone explain the law of air rifles to me? when i was a kid we had an air rifle, dont remember needing a license for it, just mostly used it to shoot targets in the garden, but i think the law has changed since then.

if i under stand correctly, its now based on the barrel length? with no license you need one with a short barrel. is that right? can someone shed some light.

No licence needed air rifle under 12 pounds
Fac needed if over 12 pounds
Air pistol has to be under 6 pounds of power

Airguns in the UK are subject to the firearms acts, under the Firearms (Dangerous air weapons) rules 1969 they are classified as low powered Air Weapons and as such they are restricted to a maximum power of 12 foot pounds energy for a rifle and 6 foot pounds energy for a pistol. Air rifles above 12ft/lbs are classified as a Section 1 Firearm and requires a licence (FAC) otherwise known as a firearms certificate, and an Air pistol above 6ftlb is a prohibited weapon.

UK Legal Limit
To calculate the power of an airgun you need to use a chronograph to measure the speed of the pellet (in feet per second) when fired, and you need to know the weight of the pellet in grains. Once you have that information you perform the following calculation:- speed(ft/sec) X speed(ft/sec) X weight(grains) 450240
This gives you the result in foot pounds force (ftlb).
As mentioned the legal maximum for an unlicensed air rifle is 12 ftlb which from changing round the above formula, gives the approximate values as follows:-
A .22 pellet weighing 14.4 grains, maximum permissible speed is 612 ft/sec
A .177 pellet weighing 7.9 grains, maximum permissible speed is 826 ft/sec
The corresponding figures for a pistol are 433 ft/sec for a .22 and 584 ft/sec for a .177
The pellet weights used in the above calculation are typical weights for the sizes of pellet but you must always check the actual weight of your pellet before performing your own calculation.

Airgun Quarry
The following pests are considered suitable for controlling using a sub-12 ftlb Airgun.
BIRDS: (covered by the open general licences) crows, rooks, jackdaws, magpies, jays, wood pigeon, collared doves, and feral pigeons.
MAMMALS: brown rats, grey squirrels, stoats, mink and rabbits.
Information sheet on general licences for the control of certain bird species in the UK please click here to read
Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981
All bird and animals are protected by law. Certain species are classified as pests or vermin and only these species can be legitimately shot and then only by authorised persons. An Authorised Person is someone who has the proper permission from the land owner to control pests on that land.

Offence Penalties
The Penalties for breaking current UK firearms laws with Airguns are as follows:-
Carrying a loaded Air-weapon in a public place 6 months imprisonment and / or £5,000 fine.
Trespassing with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.
Trespassing on private land with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.
Possessing or using an air weapon if sentenced to 3 months or more in custody 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.
In addition if original sentence up to 3 years 5 year ban on use of firearms.
Or if for 3 years or more Life ban on use of firearms.
Killing or injuring any bird or protected animal unless authorised £5,000 fine.
Firing an air weapon within 15m / 50ft of a public highway £1,000 fine.
Selling or hiring air weapon or ammunition to person under 17 6 months imprisonment and / or £5,000 fine.
Making a gift of air weapon or ammunition to person under 14 £1,000 fine.
Having air weapon or ammunition with intent to damage property 10 years imprisonment.
Having air weapon with intent to endanger life Life imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.
Using air weapon to resist or prevent arrest Life imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.
Threatening others with an air weapon (even if unloaded) to cause them to fear unlawful violence 10 years imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.
Not forgetting the chance of being shot and killed by the police should you not obey instructions when challenged by them, they cannot tell if you have just an airgun or a more lethal firearm so will treat all arms as lethal and respond accordingly.

Civil Law
It should be born in mind by every airgun shooter that the unexpected could happen and they could find themselves facing a civil action for damage to property or even injury to persons or livestock. Every airgun shooter should have Third Party Public Liability Insurance before venturing out of doors, and joining one of the bodies representing shooters interests is the best way to achieve this.

Following the enactment of the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006, listed below are the current regulations relating to the purchase, ownership, sale and possession of airguns and ammunition.

Persons under the age of 14:
1) No person under the age of 14 may purchase, hire or be given an airgun or ammunition.
2) A person under the age of 14 must at all times when shooting be supervised by a person over the age of 21.

Persons over the age of 14 but under 18:
1) No person under the age of 18 may purchase, hire or be given an airgun or ammunition.
2) A person in this age group may shoot unsupervised on private land with the permission of the landowner but must be supervised by somebody over the age of 21 if in a public place.
It should be noted that this means that a person aged seventeen and a half who may have a driving licence cannot take an air rifle from home to his club to shoot unless the gun is possessed by somebody over the age of eighteen or the seventeen and a half-year old is supervised by a person over the age of twenty-one.

Persons over the age of 18:
A person over the age of eighteen can buy an airgun and pellets and use them unsupervised.

General Restrictions:
1) It is an offence to have an airgun in a public place "without good reason", the proof being the responsibility of the possessor.
2) It is an offence to discharge a firearm within fifty feet of the centre of a highway, if doing so would cause a nuisance or endangering the public
3) When shooting over private land it is an offence for the pellet to go beyond the boundary of the premises on which the gun is being used unless there is permission from the adjoining landowner.
4) Persons who by way of trade deal in airguns, pressure bearing parts or component parts must be a Registered Firearms Dealer and any transaction must be face-to-face. Ammunition for airguns may continue to be sold by post.

Exceptions:
1) It is not an offence for a person to have with him an airgun or ammunition whilst being a member of a Home Office Approved Club in connection with target practice.
2) Air rifles with a muzzle energy in excess of 12 foot pounds (which require licensing) are not subject to the general restrictions listed above.
3) An "airgun" with the kinetic energy of less than one joule is considered a toy and is therefore not covered by the above restrictions but may be considered a realistic imitation firearm (if it looks like a gun). The sale of realistic imitation firearms is now banned with one or two minor exceptions, mainly for historical re-enactment, museums and television/film/theatrical performances or as a recognized member of an airsoft site affiliated to the Association of British AirSoft.

Crime and Security Bill:
Offence of allowing minors access to air rifles/pistols, The Firearms Act 1968 is amended as follows.
Failing to prevent minors from having air rifles/pistols.
It is an offence for a person in possession of an air rifle/pistol to fail to take reasonable precautions to prevent any persons under the age of 18 from having the air rifle/pistol with him.

Tea Drinker
Don
And you risk breaking the 1981 wild life act

Where is this? just looked and without getting my legal dictionary out cannot find it?

Hunting should never be attempted with any air pistol as they simply do not have the power, or accuracy, for hunting work.

Very much agree however I know the capabilities of my pistol, nothing worse than just having a shot just in case and hurting something.

Associate
Where is this? just looked and without getting my legal dictionary out cannot find it?

Very much agree however I know the capabilities of my pistol, nothing worse than just having a shot just in case and hurting something.

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981

It is commonly thought that all birds considered as vermin can be shot at any time and by anyone. This is not strictly true. All birds and animals are protected by law and only "authorised" persons who have proper permission can lawfully do so. See also Vermin*Control*and*Deer*Stalking.

Always ensure that you shoot within the legal boundaries and with the proper authorisation. Only use a conventional air rifle on suitable quarry, where you know that a clean kill is likely. It is generally accepted in proper shooting circles that such quarry only includes the following:
woodpigeon, feral pigeon, collared dove, magpie, jackdaw, jay, rook and crow. Also brown rat, grey squirrel and rabbit.

Associate
Good Hunting Practice

Every hunting sportsman has the responsibility for recognising his quarry and knowing when and where the safest circumstances arise for a quick kill. Never shoot until you have positively identified the quarry, and established that it is safe to do so.

By practising on targets, and not live quarry, the hunter will know his limitations and be able to establish the maximum range at which he is effective to ensure a clean kill. Knowing at what range you can consistently hit the kill zone, usually the head within a 1 inch diameter, you can establish your own safety net.

Always ensure that your rifle is powerful enough to bring a clean kill to the quarry in question. Shots of over 35 metres distance should not be attempted. Never shoot at partially obscured quarry or those that are close to cover, where they may lay wounded and out of reach. Any wounded quarry should always be despatched quickly and with the minimum of suffering.

If hunting for quarry other than those listed above, an air rifle with a muzzle energy of more than 12 ft/lbs is strongly recommended and such a firearm can only be legally held on a firearm certificate.

Tea Drinker
Don
2) It is an offence to discharge a firearm within fifty feet of the centre of a highway, if doing so would cause a nuisance or endangering the public
3) When shooting over private land it is an offence for the pellet to go beyond the boundary of the premises on which the gun is being used unless there is permission from the adjoining landowner.

That pretty much puts plinking in my back garden illegal, damn

Only use a conventional air rifle on suitable quarry, where you know that a clean kill is likely.

Ah simple really, will revise what I'm up to, mate has FAC with black powder pistols / lee enfields and a very very nice Boer War Mauser amongst others he knows the letter of the law in regard to FAC and what he can have, seem to remember him arguing with The MET about an antique rifle it's so buried n legislation.

Have bought a couple of items from http://www.micksguns.com/ read about his arrest and how The MET got it all wrong :)

Associate
That pretty much puts plinking in my back garden illegal, damn

Ah simple really, will revise what I'm up to, mate has FAC with black powder pistols / lee enfields and a very very nice Boer War Mauser amongst others he knows the letter of the law in regard to FAC and what he can have, seem to remember him arguing with The MET about an antique rifle it's so buried n legislation.

Have bought a couple of items from http://www.micksguns.com/ read about his arrest and how The MET got it all wrong :)

Good old plinking
I was shooting eggs the other day at 60yds :)

Tea Drinker
Don
I've got a nice magnetic knock down target that catches the pellets but the reset tab is tiny, I fire 4 pellets to knock the 4 ducks down and 10 to hit the reset :p

Have to move it right down the garden for the Airsporter S as the targets just bounce off the magnet

Soldato
I have a long thin garden with a shed at the end that is the full width of the garden. Would I be ok shooting at a knock down target inside the shed? It would stop the pellets leaving my garden when they bounce off the target.

I always feel like i shouldn't be shooting in my garden and always stop if I hear someone in their garden, but am I legally allowed to?

Soldato
I have a long thin garden with a shed at the end that is the full width of the garden. Would I be ok shooting at a knock down target inside the shed? It would stop the pellets leaving my garden when they bounce off the target.

I always feel like i shouldn't be shooting in my garden and always stop if I hear someone in their garden, but am I legally allowed to?

Yes, you can legally shoot in your garden.

Associate
You are allowed to shoot in your garden BUT YOU WILL CHARGED AND FINED IF ANY PELLET LEAVES YOUR PROPERTY!

Also make a silent backdrop (board covered with old carpet) to help keep the sound down

Soldato
You are allowed to shoot in your garden BUT YOU WILL CHARGED AND FINED IF ANY PELLET LEAVES YOUR PROPERTY!

Also make a silent backdrop (board covered with old carpet) to help keep the sound down

I was thinking of getting a shoebox and putting lots of folded material inside as a back drop. With maybe a carpet covered board behind that. Plus this will be inside a 10' by 8' shed. I can't see any way a pellet could leave my property.

Anyway, I have been making some new grips for my CP88 as I got it out of the box to give it a clean ready to sell then decided I dont want to sell it and it would look nice with some wooden grips :p.

I'm going to have a go at stippling them to practise for when I buy a black laminated stock blank from the US, to make a nice ambi thumbhole stock for my HW97.

DSC_2902.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I was thinking of getting a shoebox and putting lots of folded material inside as a back drop. With maybe a carpet covered board behind that. Plus this will be inside a 10' by 8' shed. I can't see any way a pellet could leave my property.

Anyway, I have been making some new grips for my CP88 as I got it out of the box to give it a clean ready to sell then decided I dont want to sell it and it would look nice with some wooden grips :p.

I'm going to have a go at stippling them to practise for when I buy a black laminated stock blank from the US, to make a nice ambi thumbhole stock for my HW97.

DSC_2902.jpg

Lovely please make me a stock for my hw100 ;)

Soldato
I use rabbits as my pellet catcher ;)

:D

Fine out in the field, but not for many people's gardens!

Having said that, we're very rural, and we've started to get overrun with rabbits. There are loads round here and they've started invading our back garden - I've had 6 kits in the last two weeks :eek: My neighbour's Harris hawk is very grateful for them :D

Are you on the AGBBS? Do you have any other guns? Your HW100 looks nice - what cal do you prefer? :)

Soldato
Lovely please make me a stock for my hw100 ;)

I am planning on getting hold of a black laminate blank from America, but with shipping it costs around £80 :eek:. Expensive if I make a mess of it.

Here's what the grips look like after a bit more shaping to get it to fit my hand better. I don't know whether to have a go at stippling them or not after all this work.

DSC_2920.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom