The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Soldato
Nope - it's an Original Mod 25 (Diana) - it should be stamped at the rear of the action. (I have one I'm also in the process of restoring).

Wire wool the action to remove the surface rust. You find the metal is very pitted and this can make re blueing difficult. I'm leaving mine, but I'll make sure it's oiled every time I use it, but I might paint it with Plasticote or maybe Loctite RustCure. Spares are available from TW Chambers I got a new breech seal and a new piston seal from them only a couple of months ago. Mine is shooting at 7ftlbs, which is fine for plinking and to let the nephews use (under supervision of course) as it's easy to ****. I might get a new spring, haven't decided yet. They are very easy to strip.

Yours is missing the locking screw that locks the cocking linkage screw in place. I've sanded my stock and I'm going for an oiled finish.

Trust if you want more help/info :)

Last edited:
Associate
Nope - it's an Original Mod 25 (Diana) - it should be stamped at the rear of the action. (I have one I'm also in the process of restoring).

Wire wool the action to remove the surface rust. You find the metal is very pitted and this can make re blueing difficult. I'm leaving mine, but I'll make sure it's oiled every time I use it, but I might paint it with Plasticote or maybe Loctite RustCure. Spares are available from TW Chambers I got a new breech seal and a new piston seal from them only a couple of months ago. Mine is shooting at 7ftlbs, which is fine for plinking and to let the nephews use (under supervision of course) as it's easy to ****. I might get a new spring, haven't decided yet. They are very easy to strip.

Yours is missing the locking screw that locks the cocking linkage screw in place. I've sanded my stock and I'm going for an oiled finish.

Trust if you want more help/info :)

Cheers Quink, Nice advise and info.
UPDATE - Couldn't resist tinkering after your post, wire wooled away some of the rust and turns out it's a Diana mod 27 British Made. Site you linked me too is excellent and they do spares which is cool. going to need a lot of TLC the rust has had a field day and quite a lot of pitting already that I can see.

I'm away to Mongolia in a month so will be starting it when I get back and I have my life back. Think I won't be able to resist stripping it down before I go and making a start on the rust though. Cheers for the offer as well. I'll keep it in mind when I do start.

Good luck on your own restore, If your anything like myself about these things Its very therapeutic :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all, In the past I've owned a couple of air rifles. HW80 first gun and HW 77 Carbine 2nd gun back when they first came out. Not owned any since then but shot a parker Hale spring a few times over the years..

I've just been given an old? Air rifle -plinker that was destined for the tip. Thought I'd take it and try and restore it. Unfortunately it's in a bit of a state.

Action seems Ok, not fired any pellets through it yet, but intend to if I can get it into a workable condition.

Anyone any idea of what make it may be? and best way of removing a good amount of rust ? Will I be able to Blue it again once cleaned up and lastly would I be better off taking it to an Airgun shop to check they can get internals for it if /when I need them ?

As you can see she's in a bit of a mess but would love to get her back shooting again, even if it only for my nephews plinking in the back garden.. :)

Cheers in advance..

Very cool, I would love to find an old gun to restore. Should look great when its done.

If it was mine I would give slow rust bluing a go.

Have a look at this thread, the guy gets given an old rusty HW77 and it looks as good as a brand new one in the end. He uses slow rust bluing and gets a really nice finish with it. Really interesting thread.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?541978-quot-it-s-a-bit-rusty-quot

04012006229.jpg

31012006293.jpg

One thing I would do is just have a good look down the barrel to make sure there is no rust inside it as this will seriously affect the accuracy. You might find there is some rust at the very end and may need to cut a bit off it and re-crown.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I have a Umarex Beretta 92 copy that uses the 8 shot mags - I use H&N FTTs in it with decent results. It's a nice gun, but the grips are very chunky - much bigger than the real thing.

I also have a Tanfoglio Witness 1911A1 BB gun. It is awesome! It uses .177 steel bbs and it cycles just like a real 1911 ie the slide moves back and forth with each shot, so it's a true semi-automatic action. The magazine comes out and houses the co2 and 19 bbs. It is even field stripable! It does eat co2 bulbs but it is great fun - under £100 too.
DSC01660-1.jpg

DSC01663-2.jpg

I'm half tempted to go on a few airsoft weekends, get registered then buy some of the airsoft guns - they look very realistic too.

Just watched a couple of reviews for tanfoglio, brill blow back action, can't believe how cheap the gun is, I just checked my local gunshop and they are selling it for £79.....bargain, thanks for pionting it out, i'm picking one up today. ;)

I did not claim anywhere it was for fun. They are over my property and it is legal to eliminate them. Then they are not thrown in the bin but given to my cat or cooked for food.

They are being utilized in perfectly good way.

If i wanted to kill for fun, I'd go to Africa on one of those hunting safaris like that guy from that famous web site, or to Iraq.

Please dont try to twist my messages it is simply not nice. I am so good and that is the real truth.

So for what reason are you shooting them?

Associate
I'd just like to say a big thank you to Chris at Falcon Airguns for solving the problem I've had with my rifle for a while now in a quick email and phone call.
He even sent me the missing bit (breach o-ring that I hadn't even notice had gone) for the cost of a stamp.
Now I can get back to enjoying the multishot part of my rifle rather than having to fiddle a pellet into the breach each time.

This thread had got me looking at new rifles though so the fix saved me loads as I nearly bought a S410 out of frustration.

Look out rats! My reason for shooting them? To stop them eating the chickens eggs and bird feed, and generally being vermin.

Soldato
I did not claim anywhere it was for fun. They are over my property and it is legal to eliminate them. Then they are not thrown in the bin but given to my cat or cooked for food.

They are being utilized in perfectly good way.

If i wanted to kill for fun, I'd go to Africa on one of those hunting safaris like that guy from that famous web site, or to Iraq.

Please dont try to twist my messages it is simply not nice. I am so good and that is the real truth.

So for what reason are you shooting them?
I'd also be very interested to know why too - all birds in the UK are protected by law, so arekgrenman888 - please justify why you are shooting birds.

Soldato
For the people who kill vermin, what do you do with the carcass afterwards?

It all depends - rats I burn wherever I shoot them. Rabbits, depending on where I shoot them, either go in my freezer or I give to the land owner (if they want them) or I sometimes give them to my local butcher who gives me other meat in return. Rabbit kits go to my mate who has hawks to feed. Squirrels I also eat, but again give a few to my mate for his hawks. I haven't persuaded my butcher to offer squirrel yet :)

Sometimes I use rabbits to attract corvids - I just slit open the belly and let the guts hang out, and dead bunnies can be a real attraction to foxes in areas that they are needed to be controlled. Corvids I also burn.

Permabanned
Well, I have tried to purchase the tanfoglio witness 1911 but it would seem all gunshops have withdrawn it from sale due to co2 leaks. Really dissapointed but I have been assured that new updated guns will follow, can't wait. Any owners out there having probs with co2 leaking from these guns?

Associate
I've an old air rifle that belonged to my Grandad, and dates to the 1930's (I think).

I've no idea of the make as it doesn't seem to have any manufacturers marks.

It used to work well but the spring has gone - is there anywhere that could make a replacement ?

Soldato
I've an old air rifle that belonged to my Grandad, and dates to the 1930's (I think).

I've no idea of the make as it doesn't seem to have any manufacturers marks.

It used to work well but the spring has gone - is there anywhere that could make a replacement ?

Post a pic and I'm sure someone can ID it for you.

http://www.gunspares.co.uk/

This place do spares for lots of air guns and I'm sure they will have a spring that will work. You can get the part sent to you if you send them your old spring, so it counts as a replacement part. Otherwise they would have to send to your local gun dealer.

Associate
I've got an HW35 and a HW95. Venturing into pcp next week when my gun gets delivered. She's an absolute beauty. No names yet, but i'll post a picture when she arrives. She'll need a scope too but im in no rush for that as i still need the rest of the pcp kit.

Just dying for this terrible weather to shift, hopefully i'll get out tomorrow night.

Soldato
Has anyone ever used / seen a laser designator being used (preferably thinking of the BSA ND3 which can be mounted to a scope) ?

Have watched a few videos on the tube but they don't really give you a good idea of what it's really like!

Soldato
Unless you're intending to call in an airstrike, you don't need a designator, you're talking about a laser sight.

In all honesty, other than short range plinking, they're really not very useful at all - what's your requirement for it? Might be able to advise on some other options...

Soldato

That's the item in question - they call it a designator hence why I referred to it as such?

I already have a green 10mW laser that can mounted to a scope and the beam can be adjusted with an allen key to zero in on your target.

I just wondered if the above is actually that good considering they cost the best part of £330!

Back
Top Bottom