The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Soldato
That software looks pretty useful! I want to see what the results are for .177 :D.

7173156021_46c2e377ae_b.jpg

7358373088_0dee6bd912_b.jpg

Soldato
He either has feet and yards mixed up, or is talking ****.

I suspect the latter.

4 ft/lbs is enough to kill most small quarry such as rabbits so yes it does, 177 is pushing it though unless you use heavy pellets, doesnt have the same energy retention.

Edit: Some articles even state 2-3ft/lbs is enough, but i like to go with the 4ft/lbs is it allows for poor shot placement better.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would love a link where it shows that under 6ftlbs is enough .

Given the legal power of air pistols is 6ftlbs and nobody in there right mind would shoot vermin with one why do you think 4ftlbs and 350fps is enough at 100 yards .

You also have to consider the poi and all the other various factors . Its not responsible to shoot vermin at 100 yards at 12ftlbs period and i will stake my 25 years experience on it . Its why i use .22 and.177hmr for 50-90 and 100-200 yards .

Soldato

Given the legal power of air pistols is 6ftlbs and nobody in there right mind would shoot vermin with one why do you think 4ftlbs and 350fps is enough at 100 yards .

You also have to consider the poi and all the other various factors . Its not responsible to shoot vermin at 100 yards at 12ftlbs period and i will stake my 25 years experience on it . Its why i use .22 and.177hmr for 50-90 and 100-200 yards .

No where did I say anyone should shoot quarry at that range, no links its from air gun shooter and air gunner.
And pretty common knowledge on airgunbbs. Really wish people would do a little research before spouting their opinions as fact.

Soldato
4 ft/lbs is enough to kill most small quarry such as rabbits so yes it does

but i like to go with the 4ft/lbs is it allows for poor shot placement better.

Even though a sub 12ft/lbs rifle has the energy at 100 yards to kill most smal quarry

Im about to trade my Airwolf in for a Steyr soon as its just not upto 100yards like the steyrs are.

I think i know enough about guns/balistics and shooting in the field to back up what i have said and im sure any competant shooter would back up what i have posted .

Soldato
Your taking my posts out of context. My XVI is my hunting rifle which I tend to shoot no further than 40 yards. Air wolf soon to be steyr is target rifle for the club.

The original post to which I replied about the limit was someone saying power was the limiting factor, which is not the case.

Associate
You can't 'just' shoot pigeons - you have to comply with the current General Licences that were linked to earlier.

Your absolute maximum hunting range should really be under 50 yards, but you would be better limiting that to 40 yards. There's no way you should ever even contemplate 100 yards on live quarry.

I've seen people on youtube take out pray at 75 yards with pcp's.

Where is that link that say you cant kill as many pigeons as you feel like? Thanks

Soldato
I've seen people on youtube take out pray at 75 yards with pcp's.

Where is that link that say you cant kill as many pigeons as you feel like? Thanks

All birds in the UK are protected by law which means you cannot just shoot them. Research GL04 and GL05 here and come back and explain why it is permissible to shoot Wood Pigeons in certain situations.

You have a .177 hmr?

4Ftlbs is generally the accepted amount to kill a rabbit.

Last edited:
Soldato
they were air rifle graphs at 11.5ftlbs not rimfire . i mention 22 rim and 177hmr as i do most of my shooting above air rifle range and they are what i tend to use. Only on the smaller farm or in barns do i use air rifles

Back
Top Bottom