The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Associate
@quink That is a bit mad isn't it. Many thanks for the response though, i really appreciate the info. I'll see if I can get some pictures of them when i'm at Mum's next week or if I can find pics online of them and I'll post back here. Thanks again

Associate
Thanks Catanonia. I live and work in and around Surrey/West Sussex.

I will get some pictures of what they are and confirm the legality side of things. If that's all cool then i'll go from there in regards to selling etc.

Soldato
The 1st two sound like child BB guns. Legal and my son has a few of them.

The last one sounds like a spring air pistol - not a toy and can do some serious damage in the wrong hands - probably legal depending on the velocity of the pellets.

Where abouts are you in the country, wouldn't mind getting a spring air pistol for myself and happy to take it off your hands for a few tokens.

The kids BB guns, just smash them up (after removing CO2 cannister) and bin them if you don't want them. The air pistol, hand it to the police or a gun shop.

They are all legal to own, the problem is with selling. Even though you consider the BB guns as toys, they are now considered RIFs, which means you have to have a valid reason to buy one as per my previous post. Even though the air pistol is more powerful, there are hardly any restrictions when it comes to selling. Daft, isn't it?

Soldato
Was anyone at the recent Midlands Game Fair up at Weston Park in Staffordshire?

Was there on the Saturday and met a number of the guys who have popular youtube channels - Ted from EdgunUSA was the best of those - had to shake his hand - what an air gunning legend that man is - wasn't even aware he was in the UK at the time :D

He'd been out rabbiting with a 12ft/lb AirWolf the night before and seemed to love it - as soon as he got to grips with the drop off of a UK non FAC air rifle :D

Also talked to Si Pittaway and Davy Thomas for like an hour - great guys both of em - Nigel Allen too ... always a friendly chat to be had with him!

Not the most amazing fair this year but I did like the final working version of the sub 12ft/lb Wolverine - basically looks like an Air Ranger (that I have) but has a beautifully made Minelli stock (to be expected) and of course the air indexing system so no double loading - very tempted to swap for one from my Air Ranger haha

Associate
From the description, it sounds like the first two are RIFs or Realistic Imitation Firearms and as such have rules about who you can sell them to. The third one sounds like a normal airpistol, which interestingly isn't considered a RIF as in law it IS a firearm! You can sell this to anyone over 18 years of age (with a few exceptions) The law is bloody stupid at times.

Re-reading, you mentioned the they are black. Child BB guns tend to be coloured and plastic. Very cheap to the feel.

Take the advice quoted above and worst case, they are not illegal, hand them to the coppers if you are worried.

Associate
Ok, got some pics emailed over from Mum

Colt MKIV Series 80

Sig Sauer P228 B921106 9mm Para - The slide does go all the way forward

Finally a Gamo R20 Falcon (i think) Cal 4.5 (177) F. made in spain

Associate
I've got that sig at home! It's got a nice weighty mag that drops out when you press the button, and the hammer cocks properly.

As to legality. The first are RIF's and you can keep them, but selling them on is a pain as you have to sell it to someone with the right exemption.

The bottom one is an air pistol and you can sell it to anyone over 18 who isn't banned from owning one. You can even post it to them!

Associate
LOL, yea from what I remember that was my favourite bit about the SIG.

Good to know that they aren't illegal, that's calmed me somewhat as I was a bit worried about it.

I've read about the RIF restrictions online and understand it so that's ok. I'd be super careful if I sold them, certainly don't want any trouble.

Any idea where I can find out what they are worth, if anything?

Associate
Well an R20 in good condition sold for £85 on gunstar.
As to the others, I seem to remember the sig was only £30 odd when new, so probably not a lot.

Check at around post #50 on this thread for the type of guns that were banned in 2004.

Associate
I'm sure this has been asked may times before,

Does the VCRA 2006 law apply to private selling of airsoft guns? If I where to buy a replica rifle & sidearm, would I need the correct exemption details still if I where to go to a airsoft site with them? or does this only concern selling from companies?

IIRC to get a replica gun that isn't two-toned, you have to be a member of a paintball skirmish and attend 3 events + be a member for a minimum of two months. Is this correct?

Soldato
I really need to sell 3 of these...

ae4f1448-81f3-4176-b275-c8b04a7f87fe_zps25952ead.jpg

Soldato
I'm sure this has been asked may times before,

Does the VCRA 2006 law apply to private selling of airsoft guns? If I where to buy a replica rifle & sidearm, would I need the correct exemption details still if I where to go to a airsoft site with them? or does this only concern selling from companies?

IIRC to get a replica gun that isn't two-toned, you have to be a member of a paintball skirmish and attend 3 events + be a member for a minimum of two months. Is this correct?

Yes - the VCRA applies to both new and second hand sales, and yes regarding attending 3 events over at least two months :)

I really need to sell 3 of these...

Why? You can never have too many guns :)

Associate
So any shooters in the Surrey area? Where do you shoot?

Thinking of picking up a rifle again and possibly a pistol and joining a local club.

Also interested in joining a live fire club and applying for a FAC and getting a .22 rifle.

Associate
Picked up a new toy for my collection. Second hand Hw97k mk1. Edit: It's .22

2m7w2nd.jpg

Removed the trigger unit because it was running a bit hot, so until i get that sorted it will remain non operational.

Had it fully stripped and it seems to be fitted with an aftermarket spring. Seems to be one of those ox springs with the square wire.
No preload washers that i can remove to lower the power, so looks like i will need to cut a coil and collapse the end.

My first decent springer, very quiet (for a springer ) and very little recoil and an amazing trigger.

Just need to build up my muscles because it's quite heavy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom