The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Soldato
Picked up a new toy for my collection. Second hand Hw97k mk1. Edit: It's .22

http://i43.tinypic.com/2m7w2nd.jpg

Removed the trigger unit because it was running a bit hot, so until i get that sorted it will remain non operational.

Had it fully stripped and it seems to be fitted with an aftermarket spring. Seems to be one of those ox springs with the square wire.
No preload washers that i can remove to lower the power, so looks like i will need to cut a coil and collapse the end.

My first decent springer, very quiet (for a springer ) and very little recoil and an amazing trigger.

Just need to build up my muscles because it's quite heavy.

If the horror stories I have read about the OX mainspring are true, it might be a good idea to buy a better one, or even a stock replacement.

With this being an Mk1, I believe they have a slightly larger diameter compression chamber, which is supposed to give it a smoother firing cycle. Pretty sought after as the newer ones all come with a smaller diameter compression tube.

Associate
It was the earlier guns that had a smaller compression cylinder.

Also going by some posts on the airgun bbs, the mk1 was fitted with a square wire spring.

I'm picking up a new spring anyway (titan xs ) and some moly grease.

I thought about getting a v mach kit but i don't really have anywhere to shoot at the moment. So i can't justify the extra cost.

Soldato
Oops, got them mixed up :o.

I bet the new spring and re-grease will make a big difference, but tbh they shoot very well stock anyway. I had the Venom stage 1 tune done to mine years ago, but that was when they were cheaper. They seem to have gone up a lot in price since they changed from venom to V-Mach.

Soldato
New rifle- AA S400 in custom stock.

Loving it!

IMG_20131107_164648_zps883f776d.jpg

Soldato
Why is it I only see this thread when I've bought a new rifle!

To the previous questions, it is really nice to shoulder, and yes the scope is far back but that's where I get the best eye relief for some reason. The air stripper is a Rowan unit.

But I am selling it as I've replaced it with this:
DSC00846_sm_zpsa1727f30.jpg

Soldato
It's quiet enough for day to day use. When I go hunting I may add a mod to it, which is easy enough to do as it's screw cut at the front anyway.
Before anyone mentions it, I know the bipod is on back to front, that's the only way it fit in the old slip I had. Sorted now with a bigger bag!

Associate
I've got a neoprene cover on order to resolve that issue.
Excellent

What can you hunt with an air rifle?

Rats, rabbits, grey squirrels.

On the bird front it gets much more complicated.
Quarry include Crows, wood pigeons, magpies, jays, feral pigeons, however, you have to have a reason that will be acceptable for the General Licence.
"I want to hunt"
"They taste good"
"They were in my garden"
Don't count.

You can then get into ducks, pheasents and other game birds which is a whole different set of rules.

Of course all this also requires you to have permission of the land owner to actually shoot on their land.

I haz 4090!
Don
Dug my rifle out of the loft earlier. Haven't shot it in YEARS, but there's an indoor range just opened up the road from me so I'm going to get it checked out and head up there. Just need another divers bottle first to keep it topped up. Hopefully the seals should be ok as before it went in the loft it was charged.

rifle2.jpg

Associate
Why is it I only see this thread when I've bought a new rifle!

To the previous questions, it is really nice to shoulder, and yes the scope is far back but that's where I get the best eye relief for some reason. The air stripper is a Rowan unit.

But I am selling it as I've replaced it with this:
DSC00846_sm_zpsa1727f30.jpg

They've come a long way since my first one which was a Weihrauch HW80. Loved that gun and the freedom you had back in those days..

Associate
Dug my rifle out of the loft earlier. Haven't shot it in YEARS, but there's an indoor range just opened up the road from me so I'm going to get it checked out and head up there. Just need another divers bottle first to keep it topped up. Hopefully the seals should be ok as before it went in the loft it was charged.

rifle2.jpg

Are you talking about the one in Atherton?

Associate
You'll love the R10 its a cracking gun. I cut the shroud back on mine and fitted the VC silencer directly onto the barrel. Gun ends up about an inch longer than standard but so much quieter.

Associate

rifle2.jpg

A closer pic of the stock please! Looks interesting!

Luke - r10 mk2 is a beaut. Always fancied one of them. So much so i've been pondering selling my DS MK4 for one. Not a massive fan of the bleeping haha.

Back
Top Bottom