*** The all new iPhone 4 thread - Keep all iPhone 4 stuff in here ***

Caporegime
I am switching from a 3G on O2 to a iPhone4 on vodafone. Do I simply backup the phone and then restore to the iPhone4?

I ordered on Friday and the phone arrives tomorrow.

Cheers

Associate
Source please. I'd like to see the "99%" from where it was quoted, not pulled out of thin air.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/07/iphone-its-the-antenna-stupid/

This article states on average the phone has a 20dB drop in signal.

Due to the decibel scale being logarithmic and 10dB intervals representing an order of magnitude then

10dB is a reduction in signal strength of 90%
20dB is a reduction in signal strength of 99%
30dB is a reduction in signal strength of 99.9%

and so on.

The equation is on wikipedia here if you want to work it out

Someone correct me if I'm wrong as it's a while since I did A-Level Maths:p

Associate
My order has now been updated to:

Carrier Tracking Number
811xxxxxxx
Assigned Carrier
UK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Current Delivery Status: Delivery scheduled by final carrier, see estimated delivery date

Estimated Delivery Date (Subject to change) 20 Jul 2010 (Subject to change)

Hope it doesn't take that long :o

Soldato
Was gonna keep my 3G, but O2 recycle have on there website they will buy it for £160 which seems a decent price. Only issue is ive got a 1cm crack from the dock up in the midddle...anyone else sold there iPhone 3G with this crack?

Associate
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/07/iphone-its-the-antenna-stupid/

This article states on average the phone has a 20dB drop in signal.

Due to the decibel scale being logarithmic and 10dB intervals representing an order of magnitude then

10dB is a reduction in signal strength of 90%
20dB is a reduction in signal strength of 99%
30dB is a reduction in signal strength of 99.9%

and so on.

The equation is on wikipedia here if you want to work it out

Someone correct me if I'm wrong as it's a while since I did A-Level Maths:p

I guess saying "99% drop of its signal" is more dramatic then "20dB drop from a possible 62dB" as signals ranged from full at -51dB to -113dB where signal drops. When 0.0001% of maximum signal is enough to make calls and not disconnect, a 99% drop in signal don't seem so bad now does it? ;)

Anyway, Engadget just posted some real world report on iPhone 4 usage;

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/13/yes-the-iphone-4-is-broken-no-the-iphone-4-is-not-broken/

Numbers are fun though, although often misleading without context. I'm sure that wasn't your intention. :)

Soldato
Thanks to some encouraging replies above.

I checked out some android phones at lunch yesterday and, despite their new beefy processors, they are not nearly as smooth as the iPhone. I am thinking I will persevere with it.

I do have some odd questions though;

1) does anyone else have tiny amounts of play in their home button? I was in the apple store today and noticed sone iPhones had the play and some did not.

Edit: at work I cannot get wifi to work. I can log on fine but then I cannot surf. The same problem happens with my bosses touch. It is just a wpa protected network.

2) I have an oldish apple dock and a radio with a dock for apple things. When I use the apple dock the iPhone shows the message "this accessory does not support this product and will not charge". I left the phone in the radio overnight and it only charged to 50% battery. Does anyone have any comments on the above to help?

Last edited:
Associate
i did that when switching from my 3g, according some peeps its drains your battery for some reason, 12 hours on stand by gets it to below 50%

I restored from backup from a 3G on to iP4. Battery does very well, can be uptp 2 days, before I charge it. And thats only because I dont want to start the day with the phone on under 30%

Soldato
I don't think a recall would ever happen, not at this stage anyway...

I do think that the white iphone 4 will get pushed back towards the end of August though... there is still too much interest in the black at the moment

Associate
It will be interesting to see if they do anything. I think they've cornered themselves in a no win situation.

Impressive though, I managed to buy my third iPhone 4 from the apple shop on Monday:cool:.

They finally sent me an email telling my my priority reservation from launch day has arrived.

First 2 I just bought Friday morning after launch day, no one queueing no hassle, very relaxed. Talking to other people, it does sound like gold dust. Seems the longer its been out the harder it is to get hold of, but you would've thought it be the other way round.

Dont know how they priority reservation thing works, but obviously its flawed (to my benefit luckily) As I bought the first two sets as a walk in customer whilst already on the previous day reserved one.:confused:

Soldato
Dont know how they priority reservation thing works, but obviously its flawed (to my benefit luckily) As I bought the first two sets as a walk in customer whilst already on the previous day reserved one.:confused:
When they get a delivery in they allocate X to reservations and Y to walk-ins. So if you're a fair way down the reservations list you won't get one for a few deliveries.

Associate
When they get a delivery in they allocate X to reservations and Y to walk-ins. So if you're a fair way down the reservations list you won't get one for a few deliveries.

So you are really best off getting there first thing in the morning if you're desperate for one.

Associate
I needed a new phone and decided to give the iphone 4 a go; today the regent street store called me to tell me my reserved iphone was in stock.

Ive reserved on on regent street also did my reservation on the 30th of june.
May i ask what date u did youres?
Just so i can get some clue on how long im gonna have to keep waiting for the phone to get in stock :)

Caporegime
Ive reserved on on regent street also did my reservation on the 30th of june.
May i ask what date u did youres?
Just so i can get some clue on how long im gonna have to keep waiting for the phone to get in stock :)

Quicker to order it online through apple...thats what i was told by regent st when they put me on the priority list...saying that 3 weeks minimum for the online order.

I placed my order through apple about a week and half ago so hopefully get it next week or week after....

Back
Top Bottom