• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

FH5 Hotwheels FPS is < 20 with SAM active using 22.6.1. I tried it with SAM off and FPS is good but changing the SAM setting made Lost-Ark BSOD, had to do a factory reset driver install to get it to work again.

@AMD_Vik / anyone else who can test/confirm?

Has something changed in video playback to make the newer drivers perform worse?

I noticed in the latest drivers that watching 4k youtube videos is worse than previously, video stutters and dropped frames.
So to test I started installing random previous drivers to try and see if something had changed.

Drivers 22.6.1, 22.5.1, 22.3.2, 22.1.2 all have issues with certain 2160p (4K) content on youtube.

Jumping all the way back to driver 21.10.2 and the same video plays fine at 4K.

Checking the 'Video Codec 0' graph in task manager shows basically half of the utilisation in driver 21.10.2 compared to the others I tested.
8K video is basically unwatchable with any of the tested drivers but is slightly better in 21.10.2.

I only tested the drivers listed, not all the ones in-between, so not sure exactly when this changed but can any one else test and confirm they see the same?

Tested using this youtube video (but happens on various videos tested)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWuqap5n28c

Win10, 6700XT, 3900X, using firefox.

XcyInnH.jpeg

yyqGnDJ.jpeg

performance using madvr to upscale in potplayer used to be fine but since newer drivers its been struggling in full screen mode.

Yeah, I've been downloading youtube vids and testing with MPC-HC and see the same issue there and have seen people using other s/w like VLC etc getting the issue.
Seems to be certain codecs using D3D11 on newer drivers going back months.
Using CPU plays fine.
Testing with MPV, which uses OGL, also seems fine. Which is odd given that OGL is normally a lot worse on AMD.
Also hear that (as with other things) using MESA drivers under Linux gives better performance than AMD drivers under Windows but not tested this myself.

Yeah, I've been downloading youtube vids and testing with MPC-HC and see the same issue there and have seen people using other s/w like VLC etc getting the issue.
Using CPU plays fine.
Testing with MPV, which uses OGL, also seems fine. Which is odd given that OGL is normally a lot worse on AMD.
Also hear that (as with other things) using MESA drivers under Linux gives better performance than AMD drivers under Windows but not tested this myself.

It's a regular problem with AMD and codecs. And the 22.*.* drivers are particularly bad. I know this from the Quest 2 and Virtual desktop discord. With some of the 22.*.* drivers you have to limit the bandwidth and use H.264 or you get issues. With others it doesn't work at all.

Just find a driver that works for you and use that. Probably not what you want to hear. With every new release the guys over in Virtual Desktop discord are checking to see if they work properly. When/if AMD release drivers that work, I will let you know on here.

@AMD_Vik / anyone else who can test/confirm?

Has something changed in video playback to make the newer drivers perform worse?

I noticed in the latest drivers that watching 4k youtube videos is worse than previously, video stutters and dropped frames.
So to test I started installing random previous drivers to try and see if something had changed.

Drivers 22.6.1, 22.5.1, 22.3.2, 22.1.2 all have issues with certain 2160p (4K) content on youtube.

Jumping all the way back to driver 21.10.2 and the same video plays fine at 4K.

Checking the 'Video Codec 0' graph in task manager shows basically half of the utilisation in driver 21.10.2 compared to the others I tested.
8K video is basically unwatchable with any of the tested drivers but is slightly better in 21.10.2.

I only tested the drivers listed, not all the ones in-between, so not sure exactly when this changed but can any one else test and confirm they see the same?

Tested using this youtube video (but happens on various videos tested)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWuqap5n28c

Win10, 6700XT, 3900X, using firefox.

XcyInnH.jpeg

yyqGnDJ.jpeg
Hey there, thank you for the regression info - we're investigating this internally.

If you have any updates regarding a last known good (LKG) driver, please let me know.

Cheers,

Using CPU plays fine.
Can you let me know which GPU you're using?

@melmac ,

thanks for the info. tbh thinking of it now I had read in this thread about the Quest issues but not put 2+2 together, as not having a Quest I kind of skimmed over those posts.
21.10.2 are the latest drivers I've tested that seem to not have the issue, 22.1.2 does have it but not tested (and probably not going to) all the drivers in between to find the latest working one.
I've just gone back to 22.6.1 as don't really want to be on a 6 to 8 month old driver for now
I'm already dropping one of my monitors from 120Hz to 60Hz to stop the GPU mem clock always running at max, so watching the odd youtube vid at 1440p instead of 4K I can live with for now. :/

@AMD_Vik ,

As above, 21.10.2 is the LKG driver that I tested.
The other drivers I tested where 22.6.1, 22.5.1, 22.3.2, 22.1.2 and all have the issue.
I haven't (and probably won't) test any more drivers between 21.10.2 and 22.1.2, though I have read that 'maybe' the last December 2021 driver delivered via windows update is ok but I've not tested.
Using a 6700XT, Win10 Pro x64, latest updates etc.

Thanks.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-22-7-1

Highlights​

• Swordsman™ Remake.
  • Radeon™ Boost using Variable Rate Shading with Elden Ring™, Resident Evil Village™ and VALORANT™.
  • Microsoft® Windows® 11 version 22H2.
  • Microsoft® Agility SDK Release 1.602 including new minor features.
  • Microsoft® Agility SDK Release 1.606 including Microsoft® Shader Model 6.7.
  • Additional Vulkan® extensions. Click here for more information.
  • AMD Noise Suppression
    • Our newest feature: AMD Noise Suppression reduces background audio noise from your surrounding environment using a real-time deep learning algorithm, providing greater clarity and improved concentration whether you are focused on an important meeting or staying locked-in on a competitive game. To learn more, check out our blog post HERE!.
  • OpenGL® Optimizations
    • Up to 79% increase in performance in Minecraft™ @ 4k Fabulous settings, using Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 22.7.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT, versus the previous software driver version 22.6.1 RS-491
    • Up to 75% increase in performance in Minecraft™ @ 4k Fabulous settings, using Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 22.7.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6400, versus the previous software driver version 22.6.1 RS-495
  • Radeon™ Super Resolution
    • Expanded support for discrete Radeon™ RX 5000 and 6000 series GPUs on AMD Ryzen™ processor notebooks with hybrid graphics.
    • RSR has been improved to provide a more seamless experience in borderless fullscreen mode with a performance/quality slider to personalize your gaming experience.

Fixed Issues​

• Lower than expected Folding@home™ compute performance with OpenCL™ API on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6800.
  • Auto Undervolt may disable Zero RPM fan feature.
  • Hitman 3™ may freeze when rapidly switching between windows in Fullscreen Exclusive mode.
  • Video upscaling in browsers appears blurry with some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon® RX 6900 XT Graphics.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause games to lock to 15FPS with video playback on extended monitors.

Known Issues​

• Stuttering may be experienced while playing Call of Duty®: Warzone™ on the Caldera map with some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6900 XT Graphics.
  • Radeon™ Super Resolution may fail to trigger after changing resolution or HDR settings on games such as Nioh™ 2.
  • Virtual Reality headsets may flicker with some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6800 XT Graphics.
  • GPU utilization may be stuck at 100% in Radeon performance metrics after closing games on some AMD Graphics Products such as Radeon™ 570.
  • Display may flicker black during video playback plus gameplay on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.

Important Notes​

• AMD Software Capture and Stream features and Overlay support for Clone mode and Eyefinity display configurations will be introduced at a later date.
  • Microsoft® Shader Model 6.7 Relaxed Format Casting and Advanced Texture Operations are currently limited to Radeon™ RX Vega and later AMD Graphics Products.

Package Contents​

The AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.7.1 installation package contains the following:

• AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.7.1 Driver Version 22.20.15.01 for Windows® 10 and Windows® 11 (Windows Driver Store Version 31.0.12015.1008).

OGL improvements !!
Those Minecraft claims are crazy, will be testing that.
Only 10(?) years too late :cry: but welcome none the less. :D

Looks like AMD are bringing out new audio tech for their cards via a driver update that rivals RTX Voice.

how many gamers even really care? what is this some streamer edition card, gotta get the same card as some dumb streamer has been gifted for free

Drivers seem good so far, baring the video decode issues discussed above.

The annoying issue with random graphical errors when web browsing and watching streamed content is fixed!

OGL perf increase is kinda insane compared to before, Minecraft runs sooo much better now.
Quickly tested vanilla and with optifine, with and without shaders.
Also Iris/lithium/phosphor/sodium with and without shaders. (quickly becoming my preferred setup over optifine. Still waiting on one shader to be compatible but with the extra perf might not need it any more).
At just about the worst, laggiest point of my long running world I got roughly ~56% increase on vanilla, ~31% on optifine+shaders, ~21% on iris.
Finally now feels like it's the game and cpu holding me back not the gpu/api.
Starting a new world with iris was 100's of fps, with it spiking over 1,000+ fps.

If you don't play MC then none of this will impress I guess but as someone who's dipped in and out of it over the years for long stretches and always on AMD cards, it's pretty major.
Also should hopefully mean people will stopped posting their disappointment of upgrading to AMD from an old nVidia GPU and finding out their fav game runs worse.

Really not sure what kind of magic AMD pulled with OGL but I seem to be getting higher scores on Superposition Benchmark than I do with DirectX?
Which is insane as OGL used to be massively behind in that bench.
Though it does have some big stutters in it that DX doesn't.

tl;dr Needs more testing but pretty impressed so far, ggwp AMD!

Back
Top Bottom