• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Recently rejoined the AMD GPU crew (RX6800XT) after a few years away. Only issue I've run into is when I have my second screen plugged in, the memory doesn't idle and runs at full speed - so increased power usage and temperatures. Idles fine with one screen only.

Google throws up a few people with the full speed idle memory, but they're all running high refresh rate monitors - I'm just on 60Hz ones. Main is 4K VA 60Hz 40" via DP, secondary is 1080p IPS 60Hz 24" via HDMI.

Installed a USB3 to HDMI adapter to run the second monitor for now, which has 'fixed' the issue (as the GPU is now only running one screen) but would be nice to get a proper resolution and have them both on the GPU.

That said, it's nice to be back using AMD's UI again, I've missed it. :)

Soldato
Recently rejoined the AMD GPU crew (RX6800XT) after a few years away. Only issue I've run into is when I have my second screen plugged in, the memory doesn't idle and runs at full speed - so increased power usage and temperatures. Idles fine with one screen only.

Google throws up a few people with the full speed idle memory, but they're all running high refresh rate monitors - I'm just on 60Hz ones. Main is 4K VA 60Hz 40" via DP, secondary is 1080p IPS 60Hz 24" via HDMI.

Installed a USB3 to HDMI adapter to run the second monitor for now, which has 'fixed' the issue (as the GPU is now only running one screen) but would be nice to get a proper resolution and have them both on the GPU.

This is usually fixed by ticking "Clean Install" when you install the driver. Also assuming you are running 22.5.2

Soldato

I have 1440p + 1200p displays on DP connections, for me, some drivers pin the VRAM at full and others don’t. I have tried the clean install option and it can work sometimes but mostly does not for me. I am on 22.5.2 now and VRAM frequency is working as it should. If the VRAM is at max, I go back to an older one until I find one that works.

Soldato
I have 1440p + 1200p displays on DP connections, for me, some drivers pin the VRAM at full and others don’t. I have tried the clean install option and it can work sometimes but mostly does not for me. I am on 22.5.2 now and VRAM frequency is working as it should. If the VRAM is at max, I go back to an older one until I find one that works.
This is usually fixed by ticking "Clean Install" when you install the driver. Also assuming you are running 22.5.2
Cheers both. This is a fresh install (after a DDU to remove the Nvidia drivers) but I'll give a reinstall of 22.5.2 a try with 'Clean' ticked when I get some troubleshooting time.

Thanks again.

Caporegime
OP
22.5.2 was WHQL on 31 May, this new release date of 20 Jun came weeks later but nothing else change haha

Maybe @LtMatt can shed some light? Was there a new driver and has it been withdrawn again or just not linked on the driver page?
Think it adds support for a few recently released mobile SKUs, but not 100% sure.

I should add that these questions (and any other AMD related questions) should be directed to @AMD_Vik. :)

AMD Rep
Vendor Rep
22.5.2 was WHQL on 31 May, this new release date of 20 Jun came weeks later but nothing else change haha

Maybe @LtMatt can shed some light? Was there a new driver and has it been withdrawn again or just not linked on the driver page?
It's essentially the same driver package, just WHQL signed.

Cheers

Last edited:
Associate
AMD's Windows 11 driver release date has changed again, to 27 Jun 22, but the actual download file is still the WHQL driver dated 31 May 22.

That's 2 new release dates with no change to the actual file you can download.

And yet there is a 22.6.1 driver for older GPUs and Windows 7 but nothing for Windows 10 or 11.

AMD Rep
Vendor Rep
Hey everyone, 22.6.1 for Windows 10 & 11 is now available

Highlights​

• Support for F1 2022™

Fixed Issues​

• Performance drop may be experienced while playing Fortnite™ with Multithreaded Rendering and DirectX® 11 API on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6900 XT.
  • Stuttering may be experienced while playing Overwatch™ with some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
  • Higher than expected CPU usage when Instant Replay is enabled on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6900 XT.
  • Fan Tuning option may be missing on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 590.

Known Issues​

• Lower than expected Folding@home™ compute performance with OpenCL™ API on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6800.
  • Hitman 3™ may freeze when rapidly switching between windows in Fullscreen Exclusive mode.
  • Stuttering may be experienced while playing Call of Duty®: Warzone™ on the Caldera map with some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6900 XT.
  • GPU utilization may be stuck at 100% in Radeon performance metrics after closing games on some AMD Graphics Products such as Radeon™ 570.
  • Using Radeon™ Super Resolution on 2560x1600 resolution displays may produce a system hang. A temporary workaround is to set the display Scaling Mode to Full Panel.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Radeon performance metrics and logging features may intermittently report extremely high and incorrect memory clock values.

Associate
I reported this personally just over a month ago. It's related to animated content / vector objects on pages relative to your main display's refresh rate (144Hz in my case).

A fix for this has already been made and it should arrive in a future driver release.

Cheers

Still an issue in 22.6.1, might even be worse. :(
Any ETA on a fix?

Soldato
Anyone noticed a slight bug with RSR in 22.6.1 ? When I enable RSR there is a yellow exclamation mark saying "RSR is not active while using eyefinity" issue is... I don't have more than 1 monitor.

EDIT

Also appears older OpenGL titles no longer work, Tried Chronicles of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena and now I get an error message saying the hardware is not compatible.

Last edited:
Soldato
After having issues getting the Windows June update to install, I manually "upgraded" Windows. (Basically just reinstalled re-installed windows with the latest image and told it to keep my files).

22.5.1 seems stable now. (Couple hours of Halo Infinite on the monitor and Project Cars 2 in VR)

*However* I then tried the 22.6.1 Optional (WHQL) driver and got a major performance regression. I didn't get the flickering issue the DX11 preview driver had, but my frame times went from 7-8ms to 10-11ms. I had no headroom with the new driver and dropped below 90fps in two graphically-challenging spots on the track every lap. I switched back to 22.5.1, the frame times came back down, and I had plenty of headroom to stay locked at 90fps lap after lap.

I double checked the in-game graphics settings to ensure they were unchanged between drivers.

Back
Top Bottom