• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

After having issues getting the Windows June update to install, I manually "upgraded" Windows. (Basically just reinstalled re-installed windows with the latest image and told it to keep my files).

22.5.1 seems stable now. (Couple hours of Halo Infinite on the monitor and Project Cars 2 in VR)

*However* I then tried the 22.6.1 Optional (WHQL) driver and got a major performance regression. I didn't get the flickering issue the DX11 preview driver had, but my frame times went from 7-8ms to 10-11ms. I had no headroom with the new driver and dropped below 90fps in two graphically-challenging spots on the track every lap. I switched back to 22.5.1, the frame times came back down, and I had plenty of headroom to stay locked at 90fps lap after lap.

I double checked the in-game graphics settings to ensure they were unchanged between drivers.

As much as I love my AMD cards, Having quite literally every single top tier one going back to the ATI X1900XTX days, AMD still need to work on their drivers, Yes now they are a lot more stable and solid than in the past but far too often I read comments like yours of performance regression, This is an area where Nvidia excel in and an area that a lot of people base their purchase decision on.

As much as I love my AMD cards, Having quite literally every single top tier one going back to the ATI X1900XTX days, AMD still need to work on their drivers, Yes now they are a lot more stable and solid than in the past but far too often I read comments like yours of performance regression, This is an area where Nvidia excel in and an area that a lot of people base their purchase decision on.
Nvidia doesn't excel in that one bit IMHO, plenty of people complaining about stutters and performance regression on green team as well. It may have been like that once back before AMD started their new driver philosophy a while back but not anymore. Besides in a majority of cases I would argue that people simply dont keep their systems healthy. Running on old windows installs that have been upgraded several times and we all know how well MS is at patch/update deployment. I've seen it so many times repairing pc's that has gone *blip* up. A good maintenance run and the same driver that borked before will usually work pretty well afterwards. Goes for both brands btw.

Finally, an official driver release for the aging my R9 290 amongst others. Useful for getting past some of those games with driver update nag requesters if nothing else.
I wonder if this enables FSR on older cards. The last driver they provided (21.5.2) was the version immediately before FSR was introduced in 21.6.
It's quite important because the older the card the more likely it is to need upscaling i.e. people running HD7950 etc would really benefit from it.

After having issues getting the Windows June update to install, I manually "upgraded" Windows. (Basically just reinstalled re-installed windows with the latest image and told it to keep my files).

22.5.1 seems stable now. (Couple hours of Halo Infinite on the monitor and Project Cars 2 in VR)

*However* I then tried the 22.6.1 Optional (WHQL) driver and got a major performance regression. I didn't get the flickering issue the DX11 preview driver had, but my frame times went from 7-8ms to 10-11ms. I had no headroom with the new driver and dropped below 90fps in two graphically-challenging spots on the track every lap. I switched back to 22.5.1, the frame times came back down, and I had plenty of headroom to stay locked at 90fps lap after lap.

I double checked the in-game graphics settings to ensure they were unchanged between drivers.
Sorry, to clarify, did you encounter a regression in both games or just Project Cars 2 when playing in VR?

Sorry, to clarify, did you encounter a regression in both games or just Project Cars 2 when playing in VR?
I only tried Project Cars 2 in VR and noticed no other weirdness. The GPU was just less powerful with the optional driver. (In this title with VR)

I don't consider this to be an issue *yet* because it's clearly labeled "optional", but I thought I would share my experience so it can be fixed before it becomes an official driver.

Last edited:
I only tried Project Cars 2 in VR and noticed no other weirdness. The GPU was just less powerful with the optional driver. (In this title with VR)

I don't consider this to be an issue *yet* because it's clearly labeled "optional", but I thought I would share my experience so it can be fixed before it becomes an official driver.
Cool, thank you for clarifying. This appears to be directly related to an issue we're already tracking. I'll make a mention of your experience on the ticket

How are the drivers now for VR? Tempted by the price for the 6800XT, but looking at playing PCVR games and apps such as Prepar3D, DCS & Skyrim. Also Total War series games too for pncake screens.

How are the drivers now for VR? Tempted by the price for the 6800XT, but looking at playing PCVR games and apps such as Prepar3D, DCS & Skyrim. Also Total War series games too for pncake screens.

If your main use is VR, get a GPU from Nvidia. It's like this, AMD's current line up of GPUs are fine for VR, just Nvidia's are better.

In general AMD's drivers are fine for VR if you are thinking of buying a 6800XT anyway. However, if you have the Quest 2 you are going to have to use an older driver with Virtual desktop. 22.4.2 I think is the driver version that works best.

But, if you have a Quest 2 I would strongly suggest you buy something from Nvidia.

what they need to fix is there RT performance then people can worry about the naff drivers.

The only thing AMD cards have going for them is the amount of memory they have.

what they need to fix is there RT performance then people can worry about the naff drivers.

The only thing AMD cards have going for them is the amount of memory they have.
1 of the machines at my work place would constantly randomly blue screen. took a while to figure out what it was, but it was the nvidia driver crashing, it would throw memory errors in the bsod hence the taking a while. using ddu to fully remove and reinstall the driver the problem went away forever. if you think either company does everything perfect you are mistaken, they both occasionally make mistakes and both sometimes end up with a bad driver ;)

1 of the machines at my work place would constantly randomly blue screen. took a while to figure out what it was, but it was the nvidia driver crashing, it would throw memory errors in the bsod hence the taking a while. using ddu to fully remove and reinstall the driver the problem went away forever. if you think either company does everything perfect you are mistaken, they both occasionally make mistakes and both sometimes end up with a bad driver ;)
sounds like user error or a corrupt driver install

Back
Top Bottom