• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Currently on 22.5.1 is it worth updating to 22.8.2?
I found the newest driver to be completely awful, in fact it introduced a subtle sluggishness even for normal OS use. Besides that it removed HDR support & borked GPU sensor logging for software like Afterburner etc. I'll sit tight with 22.5.1 until next proper release sorts itself out but this has been the worst driver release from AMD in years ime.

I found the newest driver to be completely awful, in fact it introduced a subtle sluggishness even for normal OS use. Besides that it removed HDR support & borked GPU sensor logging for software like Afterburner etc. I'll sit tight with 22.5.1 until next proper release sorts itself out but this has been the worst driver release from AMD in years ime.
Using 22.8.2, HDR support in every game and MSI AB overlay reporting working fine here.

HDR support for 10-Bit pixel format found in the Global Graphics section of AMD Software (this is different from 10-Bit colour support (and HDR) which is still supported by using 10 Bpc in the display tab of AMD Software) was removed in 22.7.1. Key point here is that this will only affect 10-Bit OpenGL apps, like Photoshop. All games should work fine with HDR as before. There is a lot of confusion online about this for some reason.

The new opengl drive is great from a performance perspective but there's an annoying issue where I can't alt-tab (it loses focus, but a frozen picture of the game remains), so I have to like switch to windowed mode (alt-enter). It's like this in the windows preview driver, 22.7.1, 22.8.1, 22.8.2. Works fine with older drivers but their performance is terrible in OGL.
Please submit a bug report.

Last edited:
Using 22.8.2, HDR support in every game and MSI AB overlay reporting working fine here.

HDR support for 10-Bit pixel format (this is different from 10-Bit colour HDR, which is still supported by using 10 Bpc in the display tab of AMD Software) was removed in 22.7.1. Key point here is that this will only affect 10-Bit OpenGL apps, like Photoshop.
I'm talking about enabling HDR in windows. That option is completely gone for me on 22.8.2 & is a common issue reported for this release. W10 btw.

I'm talking about enabling HDR in windows. That option is completely gone for me on 22.8.2 & is a common issue reported for this release. W10 btw.
I know, I helped a few folks that said exactly the same thing as you. Basically that HDR support had been removed and the toggle has vanished in Windows 10.

The steps below fixed the issue in each case and the HDR toggle was visible again in Windows 10.

Try this and see if it helps:
  1. Perform a Factory Reset, (don't tick keep user settings)
    M3qQmzK.jpg
  2. Restart PC
  3. Reinstall 22.8.2
  4. Restart PC.
  5. Check Windows Display Properties
If that doesn't fix it for some reason, please submit a bug report.

Last edited:
I know, I helped a few folks that said exactly the same thing as you. Basically that HDR support had been removed and the toggle has vanished in Windows 10.

The steps below fixed the issue in each case and the HDR toggle was visible again in Windows 10.

Try this and see if it helps:
  1. Perform a Factory Reset, (don't tick keep user settings)
    M3qQmzK.jpg
  2. Restart PC
  3. Reinstall 22.8.2
  4. Restart PC.
  5. Check Windows Display Properties
If that doesn't fix it for some reason, please submit a bug report.
Thanks but went through this yesterday & not in the mood for wasting more time with reinstalls. I'll try it next release.

Updated my son's RX480 build from 22.5.1 to 22.8.2 due to consistent nagging from Fortnite that the driver had known issues - game now almost instantly freezes in the lobby :(

Do I really need to downgrade all the way back to 22.2.2 (which I think was the version epic were recommending?). Surely one of the most popular eSports games shouldn't have issues outstanding for this long
Tried 22.2.2 and gets a bit further but now randomly crashes in game - looks like it's actually a Fortnite issue though

Epic have posted that they are investigating increased number of crashes on PC following yesterdays Fortnite Update.

Funny you mention this as I noticed a loss of FPS in games too. Rolled back and will remain on 22.5.1 for now.

Tried 22.2.2 and gets a bit further but now randomly crashes in game - looks like it's actually a Fortnite issue though

Epic have posted that they are investigating increased number of crashes on PC following yesterdays Fortnite Update.
Yes, I tested this yesterday and reproduced it. Crashed on the menu screen after a few minutes sitting idle. Looks like a possible game issue atm.

Last edited:

Highlights​

• Support for:
    • Support for Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® II Open Beta.

Fixed Issues​

• Enhanced Sync may cause an intermittent black screen to occur during gameplay and video playback using extended displays and toggling Enhanced Sync.

Known Issues​

• Radeon™ Super Resolution may fail to trigger after changing resolution or HDR settings on games such as Nioh™ 2.
  • Oculus dashboard menu and rendered controllers may appear bouncing/wobbly on Oculus Quest 2 with some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6800 XT Graphics.
  • GPU utilization may be stuck at 100% in Radeon performance metrics after closing games on some AMD Graphics Products such as Radeon™ 570.
  • While previewing the timeline in VEGAS Pro™, some colors may appear inverted.
  • Display may briefly show corruption when switching between video and game windows on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
  • When Vertical Refresh Sync is set globally to Always Off, system stuttering or driver timeout may occur during video playback using Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs.
  • Users may encounter dropped frames during video playback using hardware acceleration in browsers on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs.

Important Notes​

• AMD Software Capture and Stream features and Overlay support for Clone mode and Eyefinity display configurations will be introduced at a later date.
  • OpenGL applications that are 10-bit aware are no longer supported with HDR display capabilities. Enabling 10-Bit Pixel Format in advanced graphics settings is only recommended for use of 10-bit aware OpenGL applications and not required for enabling 10-Bit Color Display Capabilities.
  • AMD is working with the game developers of Call of Duty®: Warzone™ to resolve an issue where users may be experiencing stuttering on the Caldera map.

22.9.1 is in the wild. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-22-9-1

I agree the 22.8.2 driver is poor on my system, not had a bad one in some time, gone back to the 22.7.1 driver which is back rock solid again. Was getting wattman errors and crashes and windows unrepsonive on Win11... not sure what the've done with this one, but back on old one sound again. I'll take my chances with MW2 BETA later on with my current driver thanks

Last edited:
22.9.1 also has poor VR performance.

22.3.1 is still the best-performing driver for VR with my HP Reverb. All the drivers I have tried after that have been a major downgrade in performance.

VR is one of the few remaining use-cases where a lot more GPU grunt is needed. I am looking to upgrade and I don't care what name is on the hardware, but multiple drivers have been released and none of them have fixed this issue for my 6800XT. I can't just assume Navi 31 will be great for VR when RDNA2's drivers have not been sorted after multiple driver releases.

-Rolling back to 22.3.1 (Again)

Latest driver on my 6800XT crashes Euro Truck Sun 2. Also lost HDR toggle in windows 11, had to reinstall driver to get it back. Think I'll roll back to an earlier one.

Yes I am on my CX oled.

As of 22.7.1, you cannot use this in conjunction with Windows' HDR setting, and this is by design:
The Adrenalin 10BPF setting is only applicable to OGL workstation apps (such as Photoshop). With that in mind, HDR offers greater precision than the Adrenalin 10BPF setting. This has been disclosed on our driver release notes for some time now.

Can you give us some background on the Euro Truck Simulator 2 crashes you're seeing? Does it present you with an error message / logs?

Last edited:
As of 22.7.1, you cannot use this in conjunction with Windows' HDR setting, and this is by design:
The Adrenalin 10BPF setting is only applicable to OGL workstation apps (such as Photoshop). With that in mind, HDR offers greater precision than the Adrenalin 10BPF setting. This has been disclosed on our driver release notes for some time now.

Can you give us some background on the Euro Truck Simulator 2 crashes you're seeing? Does it present you with an error message / logs?
Thanks for info I'll refrain from using it now. Ets2 crashed to steam with no error message, it happened during the loading screen using the
Euro chunnel. I've noticed a nasty flickering effect on some menus also. It could be game related I guess as I'm using pro mods with it but I've been stable 99% of the time. Thanks for your interest.

Back
Top Bottom