• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

What is DWM? :D How else do you turn off vsync for games so as to allow adaptive sync to work? Surely not game by game.
I have never had any issues running VSYNC and AdaptiveSync together - I believe AMD reps said many times this is how it's designed to work together just fine. When you're in the AS range, that's what you get and vsync doesn't really do anything. But then when you go outside AS is when vsync kicks in and keeps you in AS range (like a frame limiter, to not go outside panel's refresh rate). This is also what I observed myself.

The only issue with it I have now and then is that windowed maximised at times adaptive sync just doesn't work and I have to turn the game off and on again for it to work. I suspect this is related to web browser running at the same time and for example playing video on youtube. If I just play the game and not alt-tab (I often multitask a lot), it never seems to happen.

EDIT: I did not just mean vsync in drivers by that, I also meant vsync being turned on in game and yet VRR still works just fine, as I can see it in my monitor's GUI.

Last edited:
Anyone on 22.7.1 on 6700xt get black flashing screen in chrome on win 10, when say watching twitch or utube. It barely happens but its worrisome that its started to, not changed anything tho windows updates probs done the latest pack they usually due about a week ago. All gfx settings default. I.e no enhanced sync on or anything.

Now a completely different thing from me - I have lots of driver crashes: black screen for about a minute, whilst sound still running in the background, then image shows up again with driver crash info. It never happens in games, or stress tests etc. But seems to happen a lot in Windows in low power use, e.g. working in Word, Teams, Excel, browsing websites, watching videos on youtube etc. Oddly, it never just happens if I don't touch anything, it only happens when I click something like new tab in the browser, open a new video, new document, click a button on web page that would open another page etc. I sent tons of crash reports about it to AMD but frankly it's getting ridiculous now, stopping me just working during the day, but never stops me gaming...

GPU is Asus TUF 6800XT (bought in OC UK actually) - newest firmware flashed from Asus website, didn't change anything. PSU Corsair RM850 (less than 2y old). I changed CPU from Ryzen 7 5800x to 5800x3D but it still happens. I changed RAM from 4x8GB Corsair 3200 to AMD-certified Kingston 3600 (2x16GB) but that changed nothing. I've tried few versions of drivers (from the past 6 months or so), few BIOS versions for my MSI B550 Carbon motherboard (no change). Reinstalled Windows from zero - no change. I've put RTX 3080 for testing for few days in - zero issues. It has to be the driver or GPU then, for some reason. Even clean OS with just Windows Updates driver - same crashes randomly after a while. I can't catch it in any stress test, benchmark or games as mentioned - unless game is running in the background and I alt-tab to web browser, open some videos and just multi-task in general, then it can happen too. I thought it might be caused by video playing but had it happened few times with no videos opened at all, too.

The above crashes happen either once every 1-2 days or can happen few times in a row. There's no pattern to it, seemingly. Very bizzare thing. And same PC (I changed nothing) worked for almost a year with 0 issues, then this started... I've seen bunch of people writing on Reddit with similar issues, but no solutions (some even got new GPU from the vendor but that didn't fix it either) and everyone seems to be just blaming GPU drivers. No clue what to do about it, aside swapping the GPU to NVIDIA one and be done with it. That said, I had similar (just much worse as it was crashing much more often, even though I've tried 5 different brands of same GPU!) experience with RDNA 1 card, which forced me to get RTX 2070S instead (and never had such issues with that one, though it had other NVIDIA-related issues). Said NVIDIA card I swapped later to current one and here we are again, a year later.

Any ideas? I am fresh out of anything else I can try. :)

EDIT: What has occurred to me is that some time before it started to happen, I got Alienware OLED monitor, which has full G-Sync Ultimate module. Makes me wonder if that isn't the problem, when said module and non-G-Sync AMD card have some issues talking to each other (VRR is active) at times and it could trigger driver time out for example. And I also run HDR mode a lot in Windows, which perhaps influences it as well somehow.

Last edited:
Anyone on 22.7.1 on 6700xt get black flashing screen in chrome on win 10, when say watching twitch or utube. It barely happens but its worrisome that its started to, not changed anything tho windows updates probs done the latest pack they usually due about a week ago. All gfx settings default. I.e no enhanced sync on or anything.

I had that happen to me on RX 6800XT too, bunch of times. Or short white flash - all happening only when some videos play. It also happens on bunch of recent drivers (including the newest released not long ago).
The one thing that's very annoying is watching Netflix in web browser, enabling subtitles and seeing black screen flashing now and then when subs change. Turning off subtitles fixes this issue at least, but it still shouldn't be happening.

Last edited:
Now a completely different thing from me - I have lots of driver crashes: black screen for about a minute, whilst sound still running in the background, then image shows up again with driver crash info. It never happens in games, or stress tests etc. But seems to happen a lot in Windows in low power use, e.g. working in Word, Teams, Excel, browsing websites, watching videos on youtube etc. Oddly, it never just happens if I don't touch anything, it only happens when I click something like new tab in the browser, open a new video, new document, click a button on web page that would open another page etc. I sent tons of crash reports about it to AMD but frankly it's getting ridiculous now, stopping me just working during the day, but never stops me gaming...

GPU is Asus TUF 6800XT (bought in OC UK actually) - newest firmware flashed from Asus website, didn't change anything. PSU Corsair RM850 (less than 2y old). I changed CPU from Ryzen 7 5800x to 5800x3D but it still happens. I changed RAM from 4x8GB Corsair 3200 to AMD-certified Kingston 3600 (2x16GB) but that changed nothing. I've tried few versions of drivers (from the past 6 months or so), few BIOS versions for my MSI B550 Carbon motherboard (no change). Reinstalled Windows from zero - no change. I've put RTX 3080 for testing for few days in - zero issues. It has to be the driver or GPU then, for some reason. Even clean OS with just Windows Updates driver - same crashes randomly after a while. I can't catch it in any stress test, benchmark or games as mentioned - unless game is running in the background and I alt-tab to web browser, open some videos and just multi-task in general, then it can happen too. I thought it might be caused by video playing but had it happened few times with no videos opened at all, too.

The above crashes happen either once every 1-2 days or can happen few times in a row. There's no pattern to it, seemingly. Very bizzare thing. And same PC (I changed nothing) worked for almost a year with 0 issues, then this started... I've seen bunch of people writing on Reddit with similar issues, but no solutions (some even got new GPU from the vendor but that didn't fix it either) and everyone seems to be just blaming GPU drivers. No clue what to do about it, aside swapping the GPU to NVIDIA one and be done with it. That said, I had similar (just much worse as it was crashing much more often, even though I've tried 5 different brands of same GPU!) experience with RDNA 1 card, which forced me to get RTX 2070S instead (and never had such issues with that one, though it had other NVIDIA-related issues). Said NVIDIA card I swapped later to current one and here we are again, a year later.

Any ideas? I am fresh out of anything else I can try. :)
I'd get on to Asus and get an RMA setup. The fact you can plonk in another GPU and it has zero issues would appear to point to the GPU being faulty. If you could put it in another rig that would be interesting to see if the issue follows it. I was initially going to say that the black sreen and sound still running / happening randomly in windows, etc, is exactly what I had when my PSU was on the way out. New PSU = rock solid now. But as your PSU is less than 2 years old it would seem unresonable to say it was that (especially as it can run the 3080 without issue). My PSU was like 10 years old too. Would seem to suggest a fault with the GPU to me.

I'd get on to Asus and get an RMA setup. The fact you can plonk in another GPU and it has zero issues would appear to point to the GPU being faulty. If you could put it in another rig that would be interesting to see if the issue follows it. I was initially going to say that the black sreen and sound still running / happening randomly in windows, etc, is exactly what I had when my PSU was on the way out. New PSU = rock solid now. But as your PSU is less than 2 years old it would seem unresonable to say it was that (especially as it can run the 3080 without issue). My PSU was like 10 years old too. Would seem to suggest a fault with the GPU to me.
That's what I thought initially, but then finding lots of posts of people with same issues yet changing GPUs, getting new from RMA, putting them in and seeing exactly same issue... well, did stop me from just sending it off till I am sure there's no other way. Plus, I'd need to actually get a different GPU for the time being at least (not just borrowed for 2 days or so), as this is also my work machine in day time. :)

Also, I get worried that Asus will just run stress test and say "Nope, all good!" - as it does work just fine in stress tests. I've run full OCCT on it as well, including vRAM test for hours and it found no errors in vRAM, no other issues, no artefacts etc. It feels like it's more of some driver/my system incompatibility than GPU itself.

Last edited:
That's what I thought initially, but then finding lots of posts of people with same issues yet changing GPUs, getting new from RMA, putting them in and seeing exactly same issue... well, did stop me from just sending it off till I am sure there's no other way. Plus, I'd need to actually get a different GPU for the time being at least (not just borrowed for 2 days or so), as this is also my work machine in day time. :)
Ah yeah tricky if you need the machine for work.

Ah yeah tricky if you need the machine for work.
Indeed. And if it would be in games then ok, annoying but I restart the game and it works fine. But having driver crash whilst I do something remotely through RDP or present something on Teams meeting, then all I can see is black screen for a minute or so, eventually getting image back, but video corrupted, or VPN timed out and disconnected etc. is much worse.

That said, what has occurred to me is that some time before it started to happen, I got Alienware OLED monitor, which has full G-Sync Ultimate module... Makes me wonder if that isn't the problem, when said module and non-G-Sync AMD card have some issues talking to each other at times and it could trigger driver time out for example. In such case RMAing the GPU wouldn't change anything.

Anyone have issues where your monitors green screen and switch off and you have to hard reboot the PC ? 6800XT MSI is what im using. Driving me mad, sent off my GPU for tests and came back fine. Not sure what it can be ?

I had a green screen issue on my second screen, had to turn the display off and back on to sort it. It was a few drivers back and it has not happend for some time.

Anyone have issues where your monitors green screen and switch off and you have to hard reboot the PC ? 6800XT MSI is what im using. Driving me mad, sent off my GPU for tests and came back fine. Not sure what it can be ?
That I've not had on mine - just black screen and then driver timeout and reset after a minute or so. Have you tried to wait for it to time out and reset as well?

I just opened RMA with Asus, as after a day of it not happening it happened now when I was doing crucial work, which almost costed me a lot of monies. Getting 3080Ti instead for the time being, whilst this is being RMAed and we'll see what Asus finds. Either it's GPU itself (things break, that's understandable) or driver has some issues - the latter being unacceptable on machine I also use for work.

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.10.1 Release Notes​

Article Number

RN-RAD-WIN-22-10-1

Highlights​

• Support for:
    • Overwatch® 2

Fixed Issues​

• Improvements to stuttering and dropped frames during video playback on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs.
  • GPU for image processing option may not be available using Adobe® Lightroom® on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs.
  • App crash may be experienced in Street Fighter™ 6 beta.

Known Issues​

• Radeon™ Super Resolution may fail to trigger after changing resolution or HDR settings on games such as Nioh™ 2.
  • Oculus dashboard menu and rendered controllers may appear bouncing/wobbly on Oculus Quest 2 with some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6800 XT Graphics.
  • GPU utilization may be stuck at 100% in Radeon performance metrics after closing games on some AMD Graphics Products such as Radeon™ 570.
  • While previewing the timeline in VEGAS Pro™, some colors may appear inverted.
  • Chromium-based browsers may experience video stuttering on extended monitors with mixed refresh rates using Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs.
  • Display may briefly show corruption when switching between video and game windows on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT. [Resolution targeted for 22.10.2]
  • When Vertical Refresh Sync is set globally to Always Off, system stuttering or driver timeout may occur during video playback using Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs. [Resolution targeted for 22.10.2]
  • Driver timeout may occur using HEVC hardware encoding on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs. [Resolution targeted for 22.10.2]

Important Notes​

• AMD Software Capture and Stream features and Overlay support for Clone mode and Eyefinity display configurations will be introduced at a later date.
  • OpenGL applications that are 10-bit aware are no longer supported with HDR display capabilities. Enabling 10-Bit Pixel Format in advanced graphics settings is only recommended for use of 10-bit aware OpenGL applications and not required for enabling 10-Bit Color Display Capabilities.

Package Contents​

The AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.10.1 installation package contains the following:
  • AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.10.1 Driver Version 22.20.19.16 for Windows® 10 and Windows® 11 (Windows Driver Store Version 31.0.12019.16005).

The AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.10.1 installation package can be downloaded from the following link:​

By clicking the Download button, you are confirming that you have read and agreed to be bound by the terms and conditions of the End User License Agreement (“EULA”). If you do not agree to the terms and conditions of these licenses, you do not have a license to any of the AMD software provided by this download.
  • AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.10.1 Driver for Windows® 10 & Windows® 11 64-bit

Interesting to see the release notes go up before the actual driver.

Seems like 22.10.1 has been pulled?

They just posted the release notes early, there was no driver download and no direct link to the release notes, just accessible by editing the url.
Release notes listed support for OW2, which I believe releases sometime this coming week, so I assume the drivers will be up in time for that.

Back
Top Bottom