• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

22.9.2 is now available:

Highlights​

• Support for:
    • AMD Ryzen™ 7000 Series Processors
    • Grounded™

Known Issues​

• Radeon™ Super Resolution may fail to trigger after changing resolution or HDR settings on games such as Nioh™ 2.
  • Oculus dashboard menu and rendered controllers may appear bouncing/wobbly on Oculus Quest 2 with some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6800 XT Graphics.
  • GPU utilization may be stuck at 100% in Radeon performance metrics after closing games on some AMD Graphics Products such as Radeon™ 570.
  • While previewing the timeline in VEGAS Pro™, some colours may appear inverted.
  • Display may briefly show corruption when switching between video and game windows on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
  • When Vertical Refresh Sync is set globally to Always Off, system stuttering or driver timeout may occur during video playback using Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs.
  • Users may encounter dropped frames during video playback using hardware acceleration in browsers on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs.

Important Notes​

• AMD Software Capture and Stream features and Overlay support for Clone mode and Eyefinity display configurations will be introduced at a later date.
  • OpenGL applications that are 10-bit aware are no longer supported with HDR display capabilities. Enabling 10-Bit Pixel Format in advanced graphics settings is only recommended for use of 10-bit aware OpenGL applications and not required for enabling 10-Bit Colour Display Capabilities.

Have fun!

Last edited:
This one is stopping me using the later drivers - I have it Always Off globally. I'd imagine a lot of people with Adaptive Sync monitors would...?
  • When Vertical Refresh Sync is set globally to Always Off, system stuttering or driver timeout may occur during video playback using Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs.

@AMD_Vik Have there been any talk or ideas of a control panel for linux users? I fully understand that even if there has been such a thought that it would be low priority but it would be nice to have one place to control things such as Freesync, UV/OC, fan control and similar. While I can do most of these things already it is spread out over several tools with shoddy compatibility.

Strange one for me. The HDR setting has disappeared. It was there on Sunday when I finished god of war. I've updated to the latest driver for spider man and the setting has gone. windows 10 is now telling me my monitor is not HDR compatible very stange. Monitor is an LG 38GN950

Last edited:
This one is stopping me using the later drivers - I have it Always Off globally. I'd imagine a lot of people with Adaptive Sync monitors would...?
Globally disabling VSync overrides DWM which causes all kinds of havoc. You should never do this, and I don't really know why it's an option to begin with. I believe we're looking to remove this in future releases.

@AMD_Vik Have there been any talk or ideas of a control panel for linux users? I fully understand that even if there has been such a thought that it would be low priority but it would be nice to have one place to control things such as Freesync, UV/OC, fan control and similar. While I can do most of these things already it is spread out over several tools with shoddy compatibility.
Believe me, I'd love that. Closest thing I've come across is CoreCtrl for Wattman-like controls and adriconf for general advanced graphics controls.

Strange one for me. The HDR setting has disappeared. It was there on Sunday when I finished god of war. I've updated to the latest driver for spider man and the setting has gone. windows 10 is now telling me my monitor is not HDR compatible very stange. Monitor is an LG 38GN950
Are you using the 10 Bit Pixel Format setting under Advanced Graphics settings? If so, please turn that off (refer to my post here for more information).

Globally disabling VSync overrides DWM which causes all kinds of havoc. You should never do this, and I don't really know why it's an option to begin with. I believe we're looking to remove this in future releases.

Believe me, I'd love that. Closest thing I've come across is CoreCtrl for Wattman-like controls and adriconf for general advanced graphics controls.

Are you using the 10 Bit Pixel Format setting under Advanced Graphics settings? If so, please turn that off (refer to my post here for more information).
What is DWM? :D How else do you turn off vsync for games so as to allow adaptive sync to work? Surely not game by game.

Amd actually encourages vsync and freesync both used together. Ur not really supposed to use always off as well, it can cause issues iirc not just games but desktop usage too.

Amd actually encourages vsync and freesync both used together. Ur not really supposed to use always off as well, it can cause issues iirc not just games but desktop usage too.

FYI

V-sync options within Radeon do nothing for desktop use. Windows has its own built in sync that can not be user controlled within the Windows Display Driver model.

Is this still the case today?

I always thought that v-sync in-game should be switched off, causes less input lag, etc.

As of late I only enable free sync premium pro in the driver and left all other settings disabled in-game and driver, perhaps @AMD_Vik could shed some light on this?

Last edited:
DWM = desktop window manager. Most games allow you to disable VSync at the app level. Otherwise, you can use Adrenalin to disable VSync at the desired app. Please do not globally disable VSync via Adrenalin.
Hmm OK that's frustrating as I don't have the games listed individually; I just use the global level to cater for every game. But if that is the recommended way I'll have to rescan for the games and get them added and change the settings at that level instead of globally.

Is this still the case today?

I always thought that v-sync in-game should be switched off, causes less input lag, etc.

As of late I only enable free sync premium pro in the driver and left all other settings disabled in-game and driver, perhaps @AMD_Vik could shed some light on this?
Yeah that is why I have it always off too (in Adrenalin and in-game options), but, I have enhanced sync on (in Adrenalin). It even says when you hover over the question mark that enhanced sync is an alternative vsync mode that minimises tearing and lag but doesn't limit framerates.

@AMD_Vik maybes the console could perhaps be tidied up. You've got the global vsync setting which you've mentioned shouldn't be used (that's the first I've ever heard that - so I bet others are in the same boat). And then you have global settings vs per game settings. It's a crapshoot at the moment understanding if it is setup correctly or not. Anywho, thanks for the titbit, I'll go make those changes and then upgrade to 22.9.2.

Cheers.

Learn something new. I never thought that the GPU driver messes with DWM sync.
I need to check what my GPU sync is set too should be what ever default is.

Learn something new. I never thought that the GPU driver messes with DWM sync.
I need to check what my GPU sync is set too should be what ever default is.
Default is king and is off unless app specified, but some folk think it needs to be set to always off. For gaming purproses it only applies to OpenGL anyway (in terms of actually enabling vsync) so it never needs to be adjusted beyond the stock setting.

Last edited:
Last edited:
have they fixed vsync not working with anything but opengl apps... amd please get your priorities right if you havent

i am a bit out of touch.. vega 64 being my last amd gpu

edit: it helps a lot in older games where you dont have an in-game vsync setting, please just blindly emulate nvidia on this
Vsync can be enabled in game for apps. It can't be activated through AMD Software for DX/Vulkan.

pls listen to me once.. last month i played a game called Freedom Force, a direct x 8 game that doesnt have an in-game vsync option, would be really good to force that from the amd control panel
and also the ability to change resolutions from the control panel (again i am out of touch on this), but thats not a big priority because i could do that from windows

Last edited:
pls listen to me once.. last month i played a game called Freedom Force, a direct x 8 game that doesnt have an in-game vsync option, would be really good to force that from the amd control panel
and also the ability to change resolutions from the control panel (again i am out of touch on this), but thats not a big priority because i could do that from windows
Understood, but thats not possible as DX apps are not supported for Vsync enablement in AMD Software. It's unlikely to be added too as the interest in such old games is minimal.

Resolutions/refresh rates can be changed via Windows Display Properties, so no need for this duplicate option in AMD Software.

Last edited:
i did wonder why forcing vsync didnt work in x4 foundations (Vulkan) but did ingame tho not very nice to use. Freesync doesnt work well due to very big fps variances and often on stations from 50-30fps.

Back
Top Bottom