• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

I'm not seeing the high idle power usage mentioned in either Fixed Issues or Known Issues, anyone know what's going on with that? I'm going to assume that AMD haver stopped caring about this (and us) now so just hope we'll forget it if they stop mentioning it?
Think a review, cant recall which one had the idle draw at least on the 7800xt being where it should be but i thought this was triggered with certain display settings turned on?

I'm not seeing the high idle power usage mentioned in either Fixed Issues or Known Issues, anyone know what's going on with that? I'm going to assume that AMD haver stopped caring about this (and us) now so just hope we'll forget it if they stop mentioning it?
Not sure really but it was mentioned in the last three or so drivers releases so I guess they deem it fixed and don't feel the need to keep stating it in every release.

It shouldn't have been listed as a bug to begin with.

High idle power in the context of that changelog entry is contingent on a user's display config. Contributing factors are peak display bandwidth (multiple high res and refresh rate displays requiring max GPU mclk to sustain), or VBI compatibility between connected displays.

We have been investigating ways to improve this behaviour for certain configurations, but we won't be able to "fix" this for everyone.

It shouldn't have been listed as a bug to begin with.

High idle power in the context of that changelog entry is contingent on a user's display config. Contributing factors are peak display bandwidth (multiple high res and refresh rate displays requiring max GPU mclk to sustain), or VBI compatibility between connected displays.

We have been investigating ways to improve this behaviour for certain configurations, but we won't be able to "fix" this for everyone.
Ask Nvidia they seem to have it sorted...

Ask Nvidia they seem to have it sorted...
Think you are looking at this wrong.

Nvidia drivers dont influence general display attributes unless you force it ( Nvidia looks worse if used ) then AMDs, not to mention AMD defaults the highest colour option compared to Nvidia where you need to adjust it.

Put it this way, Nvidia low balls default settings, but AMD doesnt.

Everytime with my 3070ti, i have to make sure on a driver update nvidia didnt lower my settings.

Nvidia drivers dont influence general display attributes unless you force it ( Nvidia looks worse if used ) then AMDs, not to mention AMD defaults the highest colour option compared to Nvidia where you need to adjust it.

Everytime with my 3070ti, i have to make sure on a driver update nvidia didnt lower my settings.
I'm running an older Nvidia card on the same monitor and even with high refresh rates the memory doesn't have to clock up. Well, it does if I run at 4K@144Hz, but it's fine at 120Hz, with my AMD card I have to drop down to 60Hz to get the memory to downclock.

I'm running an older Nvidia card on the same monitor and even with high refresh rates the memory doesn't have to clock up. Well, it does if I run at 4K@144Hz, but it's fine at 120Hz, with my AMD card I have to drop down to 60Hz to get the memory to downclock.
I wasn't even referring to refresh rate

Please stop. What have you posted is complete and utter nonsense. He isn't looking at it wrong, you are.

Please stop. What have you posted is complete and utter nonsense. He isn't looking at it wrong, you are.
So does nvidia default to 8bit colour in the drivers? thats a fact
Does AMD default to 10bit colour? yes, i know this as ive owned both including a 3070ti.

Nvidia low ball settings in its driver, many of its stuff is in performance mode.

If you ask a display and image to display more information - this does require more power to process.

He doesn't have a point. You made reference to something working on Nvidia and not on AMD, so he felt compelled to rush to AMD's defence.
AMDvik is right that people have different configurations, and AMD and NVidias set it differently, this is true.

the default configs in each driver is different, this is a fact.

Updated to latest driver 23.9.1 from 23.8.1. Now my gpu is consuming more power on idle using the adaptive sync compatible setting. Turning on adaptive sync also now increases GPU BRD PWR.
Display is AW3423DW.
GPU 7900xt
Previous driver adaptive sync = 18W
Now with adaptive sync= 55W
Now without adaptive sync=30W
Huge increase in power usage.

Last edited:
Keep getting driver timeout error on latest bios done ddu latest drivers tried everything just keeps happening have 7800x3d 32 Corsair 6000mz ram 7900xtx nitro ASus x670e-a any help guys

Back
Top Bottom