• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

I know HBM 3 is being used on Hopper in the ai space. The amd instinct cards also make use of HBM.

It never really had a good outing on pc, fury x was the poster child for it and it seemed like they were having production issues as fury x was never really in stock anywhere for the lifetime of the product, though weirdly nano and regular fury weren't that hard to get a hold of.

It reappeared on Vega in 2017 with HBM 2 and that's the last we seen of it.

Kinda odd amd dropped it so suddenly as it was in the works there from 2008. Though the conversation about chiplets started in amd around 2016 going by that gamers nexus video on rdna 3 with one of the techs from amd. Maybe having chiplets and hbm just wasn't feasible to do so they had to use gddr again. Looking at an rdna 3 die it basically looks like a hbm enabled gpu with the mcd's surrounding the gcd, so maybe squeezing even more into that space with hbm stacks just wasn't possible?
HBM cost more now than when it first came out, AI cards have increased demand for HBM so the price has skyrocketed. Desktop cards will probably never get it again. Desktop GPU’s will get GDDR7 next, get ready for 2*the chip bandwidth and half the bus width so they can make the cards cheaper and increase margins.

Last edited:
I can't see how amd could bring it back using the chiplet setup, the die area is already incredibly busy with the gcd and multiple mcd's. Trying to shoehorn hbm in would probably make it a nightmare to make.
It would be expensive for sure, but they have already done it with their "Instinct" cards, which have far more chiplets and HBM packaged together than a gaming GPU would need.

It would be expensive for sure, but they have already done it with their "Instinct" cards, which have far more chiplets and HBM packaged together than a gaming GPU would need.

I don't see it happening for a gaming gpu any time soon. They're already taking the **** with prices on the higher end, last we need is yet more excuses for them to drive it higher.

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.20.11.01 for Lies of P™ Release Notes​

Article Number
RN-RAD-WIN-23-20-11-01-LIESOFP

New Feature Highlights​

• New Game Support​

• Lies of P™

Known Issues​

• Performance Metrics Overlay may report N/A for FPS on various games.
  • Audio may intermittently become out of sync with video when recording from AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition with AV1 codec.

Important Notes​

• Factory Reset has been temporarily disabled as a precautionary measure while we address isolated installation issues that have been reported during PC upgrades. Users may use AMD Cleanup Utility as a temporary option.

Package Contents​

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.20.11.01 for Lies of P™ Windows Driver Store Version 31.0.22011.1008.

The AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.20.11.01 for Lies of P™ installation package can be downloaded from the following link:​

By clicking the Download button, you are confirming that you have read and agreed to be bound by the terms and conditions of the End User License Agreement (“EULA”). If you do not agree to the terms and conditions of these licenses, you do not have a license to any of the AMD software provided by this download.

---

Looks like 23.9.2 has finally fixed the high power draw for me (single monitor) so if anyone else here is still having the issue it may be worth checking after installing these new drivers. Gone down from 100W at 120hz to around 11W when idle!
Just installed these and gone from 35ish watts to around 11 watts also.. finally fixed!

Looks like 23.9.2 has finally fixed the high power draw for me (single monitor) so if anyone else here is still having the issue it may be worth checking after installing these new drivers. Gone down from 100W at 120hz to around 11W when idle!
Sadly still the same for me with two monitors (165Hz+60Hz). 50-60W at idle.

21/09/2023 09:45 1,273,376,504 whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.9.2-win10-win11-sep19-combined.exe

Can we all just stop a moment and appreciate the fact that AMD has just released a 1.2GB driver package?

I know I will sound like a luddite here scratching around with my floppy disks when most people have 999999999Tbit internet connections but this seems bonkers to me. There must be an awful lot of bloat in there in terms of unnecessary high res images for the installer and stuff.
For comparison, that's more than double the size of the Windows XP ISO. Or in modern terms about a quarter of the size of the Win11 ISO. Literally an entire modern OS compared to drivers for a single GPU manufacturer.

Last edited:
21/09/2023 09:45 1,273,376,504 whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.9.2-win10-win11-sep19-combined.exe

Can we all just stop a moment and appreciate the fact that AMD has just released a 1.2GB driver package?

I know I will sound like a luddite here scratching around with my floppy disks when most people have 999999999Tbit internet connections but this seems bonkers to me. There must be an awful lot of bloat in there in terms of unnecessary high res images for the installer and stuff.
For comparison, that's more than double the size of the Windows XP ISO. Or in modern terms about a quarter of the size of the Win11 ISO. Literally an entire modern OS compared to drivers for a single GPU manufacturer.
Yep GPU drivers are full of tat now. I wish there was a lighter version with all the options but none of the bloat

Yeah AMD drivers are starting to ship with so much stuff/bloat similar to nvidia. They should really offer an Internet installer with the ability to only download what you want, similar to what the app Radeon Software Slimmer and NVCleanstall offers after you have downloaded the package(features may have changed, haven't used them in a while since I'm on Linux).

Last edited:

I reckon it's wishful thinking that they'd sign off an outrageously expensive card just to scrabble for a "best" crown when 5 minutes earlier they capped their gaming flagship at a price of 1k.

1.2gb doesn't seem that large to me for an install package, although they could split it up but i assume that would be more work and it doesn't look like they got many peeps working on the drivers so that might slow down releases.

Not exactly sure what happened but from reading on other forums there was a mess up with the original driver uploads.

The original upload was the normal ~600MB size but it looks like they are trying to split the drivers between older and newer cards but people with newer cards had issues so they redid the upload as a combined package, I guess in a rush, hence the double size.
If you look at the drivers for an older card, vega/polaris, the file size is as normal.

1,273,376,504 whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.9.2-win10-win11-sep19-combined.exe
654,776,232 whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.9.2-win10-win11-sep19-vega-polaris.exe

Hopefully this is a one off and is back to normal for next release.

Back
Top Bottom