• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Anyone got any tips on how to improve my undervolt overclock?

I have a 7800xt MBA and it does everything I need it to do at 1440p.

Very quiet and cool max hotspot is 75C undervolted.

These are my stable everyday settings:

Core clock 2900mhz max 500 min

Vram clock: fast timings 2600mhz

Fan curve max 75% after 75C

Voltage 1040mv (less than this got direct x errors on MW3- as although Timespy was stable at 985mv!)

This pulls 290W

3D Mark Timespy 21900-22000 on few runs.

Getting 160-180FPS on Max everything settings at 1440p on MW3

Last edited:
Soldato
The 7x00 range do not undervolt the way people think they do. Setting lower mV does not lower the power used, it allows for more headroom on the core clocks as the core is running cooler. The power slider dictates the power budget, not the undervolt.

To use less power while getting more (or the same as stock) performance, you need to lower .mV and also set the power slider into negative.

This gives more core clocks at a lower power budget. Simply moving the power slider to max tells the GPU to use more power regardless of your undervolt.

Edit: In my testing of overclocking and undervolting a 7900 XT.

1. Adjust the power slider until the GPU is using your preferred watts. The AMD overlay will show your GPU power usage.

2. Adjust core clocks, VRAM timings and VRAM clocks to your desired setting.

2. Reduce (undervolt) your .mV until it becomes unstable. Then bump it up a bit until stable and test using actual graphical intensive games rather than synthetic benchmarks.

2. Keep testing for stability in actual games NOT canned benchmarks.

Using the above methods I can overlock with actual 10% extra performance but about 50w extra power requirements. Or my preference is under 300w power used for stock performance.

Last edited:
Associate
The 7x00 range do not undervolt the way people think they do. Setting lower mV does not lower the power used, it allows for more headroom on the core clocks as the core is running cooler. The power slider dictates the power budget, not the undervolt.

To use less power while getting more (or the same as stock) performance, you need to lower .mV and also set the power slider into negative.

This gives more core clocks at a lower power budget. Simply moving the power slider to max tells the GPU to use more power regardless of your undervolt.
Thanks I will try this (reduce power limit to 0%) tonight.

Last edited:
Associate
both my 6800 and 7800xt seems to work the same way in terms of undervolting, both give more headroom for core clocks via less voltage and temperature. both seem to go past what the power slider allows in my case too.
edit: @ICDP are you sure you are just not seeing the difference in chip sample quality?

Last edited:
Soldato
both my 6800 and 7800xt seems to work the same way in terms of undervolting, both give more headroom for core clocks via less voltage and temperature. both seem to go past what the power slider allows in my case too.
edit: @ICDP are you sure you are just not seeing the difference in chip sample quality?

My 6700 XT and 6800 would drop voltage with an undervolt. The 7900 XT seems to always use the same power regardless of undervolt. Though it is based on a low sample size :D

Associate
I recently picked up the 7800Xt to upgrade from a 290 and am still getting to know the different undervolt/overlock mechanism. No real issues encounters but an oddity in Timespy CPU score which is notably down compared to the 290. I cant work out why that may have happened, my cpu oc profiles haven't changed and it was the exact same testing environment for both. Uninstalled old drivers, ddu clean and then latest drivers. Power profile set to ultimate. While I benchmark in Win10 due to ease of reducing background apps, the results are more or less the same with win11. Checked rebar setting to no effect.

I've only noticed the oddity in Timespy normal, but I cant seem to change anything to restore cpu score. Maybe Radeon driver is not optimal. Might uninstall ryzen master to see if its conflicting in some way.

Associate
I've only noticed the oddity in Timespy normal, but I cant seem to change anything to restore cpu score. Maybe Radeon driver is not optimal. Might uninstall ryzen master to see if its conflicting in some way.
done any bios updates latelty, theres been a few security flaw fixes which can decrease performance on x570, but that seems a lot in your case

Last edited:
Associate
done any bios updates latelty, theres been a few security flaw fixes which can decrease performance on x570, but that seems a lot in your case
No bios updates recently. All i've really done is remove old drivers (Final official legacy for the 290) DDU, re-installed latest chipset drivers in case ddu touched them ... then installed latest drivers for the 7800.

Associate
No bios updates recently. All i've really done is remove old drivers (Final official legacy for the 290) DDU, re-installed latest chipset drivers in case ddu touched them ... then installed latest drivers for the 7800.
ah 1 thing i noticed in my firestrike/timespy runs was background tasks using the cpu, kill all of your background task and see how it affects your cpu scores. maybe its something as simple as that? you had less task running on the first run to the second perhaps?

Last edited:
Associate
ah 1 thing i noticed in my firestrike/timespy runs was background tasks using the cpu, kill all of your background task and see how it affects your cpu scores. maybe its something as simple as that? you had less task running on the first run to the second perhaps?
I do check before starting the benchmark run, as well as waiting until the cpu temp has dropped (temp via debug display on mobo is helpful fo knowing when cpu has dropped to idling.) All my past 290 runs are high 15k right up to 17k with high oc but I'm barely able to reach 14k with the 7800 in any run with low and high cpu oc. I just wonder if any other 7800 owners have noticed such a pattern or maybe any of the 7xxx cards.

Associate
I do check before starting the benchmark run, as well as waiting until the cpu temp has dropped (temp via debug display on mobo is helpful fo knowing when cpu has dropped to idling.) All my past 290 runs are high 15k right up to 17k with high oc but I'm barely able to reach 14k with the 7800 in any run with low and high cpu oc. I just wonder if any other 7800 owners have noticed such a pattern or maybe any of the 7xxx cards.
had a similar result, but put it down to run variance and more task running my end on the 7800xt run, my 6800 is overclocked compared to the 7800xt which is running stock in that run

SCORE17 638 with AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT(1x) and AMD Ryzen 9 5900X​

Graphics Score19 548
CPU Score11 355

SCORE16 916 with AMD Radeon RX 6800(1x) and AMD Ryzen 9 5900X​

Graphics Score17 988
CPU Score12 646

same cpu curve but ive also changed bios since the 6800 run

Last edited:
Associate
had a similar result, but put it down to run variance and more task running my end on the 7800xt run, my 6800 is overclocked compared to the 7800xt which is running stock in that run

SCORE17 638 with AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT(1x) and AMD Ryzen 9 5900X​

Graphics Score19 548
CPU Score11 355

SCORE16 916 with AMD Radeon RX 6800(1x) and AMD Ryzen 9 5900X​

Graphics Score17 988
CPU Score12 646

same cpu curve but ive also changed bios since the 6800 run
Is there really only that much difference between those two cards. I have a 6800 and and very happy with it still but was getting a little jealous of the 7800xt, seems there really isn't a huge amount in it

Associate
Is there really only that much difference between those two cards. I have a 6800 and and very happy with it still but was getting a little jealous of the 7800xt, seems there really isn't a huge amount in it
I get nearly 22000 in Timespy for my 7800xt mba once overclocked. So about a 6950XT and almost a 4070ti level.

There’s only 4000 difference between that and a stock 7900XT (26000)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom