• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Is there really only that much difference between those two cards. I have a 6800 and and very happy with it still but was getting a little jealous of the 7800xt, seems there really isn't a huge amount in it
the 6800 is way overclocked and undervolted compared to 7800xt @stock. the 7800xt is more like a 6800xt rather than a 6800

p.s it wasnt the intention to side grade on this, the 6800 kept crashing under full load at stock in the end. it had an issue with overboosting past what it was capable off in game but not benchmark. :D

Last edited:
Associate
23.12.1 release notes said:
Support for Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling for Radeon RX 7900/7800/7700 series GPUs. Click HERE for more information.
This sounded interesting, but the linked Microsoft post makes it much less interesting, at least for now:
Steve Pronovost said:
Although the new scheduler reduces the overhead of GPU scheduling, most applications have been designed to hide scheduling costs through buffering.

Soldato
Ok so I did the update via adrenaline and it's messed my PC up, I restarted as normal after a driver update to be welcomed by a grey screen on start up, I booted into safe mode to remove and reinstall the GPU drivers so get a BSOD then shut down, anybody have any ideas on where I should go from here?

7800x3d
MSI B650 carbon
G.skill trident z neo 6000 cl30
MSI 7900xtx

I had PBO and EXPO enabled but now reverted to default BIOS and still no difference

Associate
I upgraded from a GTX1060 to a 7800XT yesterday and the process has been smooth so far. I did opt for the Minimal install of Adrenaline and regret it though because its mnore basic than I thought, I can't even define profiles for individual games. What's the best way to install the full version? Should I uninstall from settings/apps or DDU or just run the driver package again? What is generally the process for updating amd drivers? On nvidia I'd just run the driver installer and chose clean install, I used to run DDU first but that got tiring after a while.

Last edited:
Soldato
@beasty6

You can leave it be or you could try:

1.Download and run Windows update blocker and disable updates.

2.Download and run AMD cleanup utility, it restarts Windows in safe mode, select clean or yes at the prompt, restart.

3.Install your driver package.

4.Run Windows update blocker and re-enable updates.

Soldato
@beasty6

You can leave it be or you could try:

1.Download and run Windows update blocker and disable updates.

2.Download and run AMD cleanup utility, it restarts Windows in safe mode, select clean or yes at the prompt, restart.

3.Install your driver package.

4.Run Windows update blocker and re-enable updates.
Hey, I tried this, still the same result, gives a grey screen on start up, however if I plug into the on board the boot is fine.

Very strange but I assume I'll skip this update and roll back to 23.11.1

Soldato
Thanks for replying, I do appreciate it. Not going to lie, it is disappointing to think that there might not ever be a solution and that I might get this again in the future until we move off DDR6 (presumably regardless of vendor).
I forgot to mention and I'm not exactly sure which driver did it, but one of the more recent drivers actually seems to have solved this issue (at least partially). When idling on desktop the RAM now downclocks to around 900MHz (I'm not sure what you'd expect a 7900XT's memory to downclock to when idle). But I think it drops the power draw a bit and the temperatures as well as the fan will now go into a stopped state which it didn't seem to ddo when the memory was running at ~2600MHz (or whatever it is when it's running full speed).

Last edited:
Associate
Ok so I did the update via adrenaline and it's messed my PC up, I restarted as normal after a driver update to be welcomed by a grey screen on start up, I booted into safe mode to remove and reinstall the GPU drivers so get a BSOD then shut down, anybody have any ideas on where I should go from here?

7800x3d
MSI B650 carbon
G.skill trident z neo 6000 cl30
MSI 7900xtx

I had PBO and EXPO enabled but now reverted to default BIOS and still no difference
The release notes do mention"intermittent" grey screens on some monitors:

Known Issues​

• Intermittent grey screen after driver upgrade with certain monitors (such as Nixeus NX-EDG274K) on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.

Back
Top Bottom