• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Can anyone help me with the following, when adjusting the fan profile in in Adrenalin everything work fine till the next I reboot. The I get the follwing error "Default performance tuning settings have been restored due to an unexpected failure"
I originally had MSI Afterburner installed to control the fans and thought this might not be playing nicely with Adrenalin so unintalled it and used Adrenalin to control the fans and still the error comes up every reboot.

Running windows 11 if that's anything to do with it.

Thanks.
Try disabling fast boot. I used to get this when I had my Vega 56. Disabling fast boot cured it and I've not had it since :)

Associate
It's an issue between Windows and the latest AMD driver(s), mentioned at some point further back in this thread I think. Same here for me on Windows 11; no fast boot, just been living with it till they fix it.

Soldato
Fast boot is disabled and it still happens, this has happened since the first time I installed the card around a month & a half ago.

Will wait till they get around to fixing the issue.

Thanks, all.

Associate
Fast boot is disabled and it still happens, this has happened since the first time I installed the card around a month & a half ago.

Will wait till they get around to fixing the issue.

Thanks, all.
it is entirely possible that uninstalling afterburner has left registry keys in place and may still be interfering with fan control, you could use a program like revo uninstaller(its paid and i dont know of any free option) or manually search the registry and kil all msi references and then ddu the amd driver and reinstall and try again.

Associate
Maybe this got fixed in newer drivers, but with the 23.10.1 driver one thing that annoys me is the framerates plummets to like 30-15 fps when ever I use full screen in the chrome browser. This also happens when using full screen on static pictures using the windows photo app. This only happens with adaptive sync VRR turned on.

Last edited:
Associate
I had the problem of Adrenaline resetting to defaults upon reboot. I created a registry key (see video below) and all good now (it was minor annoyance, but still an annoyance). Easily reversible by just deleting the key (no messing about with Vivetool etc).

As an aside, my Windows update history does not show the offending KB503031, but the problems started on the 10/10 when a lot of updates were installed, my install also does not show any sign of Co-Pilot (at least in the GUI), but it still fixed the issue.

EDIT - shamelessly nabbed from this thread on the AMD Community forums - https://community.amd.com/t5/driver...-resetting-when-restarting/m-p/638819#M182467 2nd reply by AMDsparton2142

Further EDIT - reboot your machine twice, once after applying the registry key, then again after you apply your configuration. It then survives through multiple reboots.

Last edited:
AMD Rep
Vendor Rep
Maybe this got fixed in newer drivers, but with the 23.10.1 driver one thing that annoys me is the framerates plummets to like 30-15 fps when ever I use full screen in the chrome browser. This also happens when using full screen on static pictures using the windows photo app. This only happens with adaptive sync VRR turned on.
Single display? Which GPU is this with?

Soldato
I had the problem of Adrenaline resetting to defaults upon reboot. I created a registry key (see video below) and all good now (it was minor annoyance, but still an annoyance). Easily reversible by just deleting the key (no messing about with Vivetool etc).

As an aside, my Windows update history does not show the offending KB503031, but the problems started on the 10/10 when a lot of updates were installed, my install also does not show any sign of Co-Pilot (at least in the GUI), but it still fixed the issue.

EDIT - shamelessly nabbed from this thread on the AMD Community forums - https://community.amd.com/t5/driver...-resetting-when-restarting/m-p/638819#M182467 2nd reply by AMDsparton2142

Further EDIT - reboot your machine twice, once after applying the registry key, then again after you apply your configuration. It then survives through multiple reboots.

Fixed for me with 23.10.2 update this morning. Only tested with one reboot mind :)

KB5030310 is installed on my PC, tried the reg key thing and that didn't work and also on the latest 23.10.2 driver.

Chucked my 4090 FE back in for now and will try the 7900XTX again in a few weeks as I will do a fresh instal of Windows 11.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for clarifying.

Is this on Win11? Do you have HW accel enabled in chrome (should be on by default)?
Windows 10, HW accel is disabled. Also it occurs in the Microsoft photos app version 2023.11100.11002.0 when viewing picture files in full screen the FPS dips.

Edit: Turning HW accel on fixes the issue. On the Microsoft photo app side, the issue still occurs. I found it happens often when right clicking the image while in full screen several times.

Last edited:
AMD Rep
Vendor Rep
Windows 10, HW accel is disabled. Also it occurs in the Microsoft photos app version 2023.11100.11002.0 when viewing picture files in full screen the FPS dips.

Edit: Turning HW accel on fixes the issue. On the Microsoft photo app side, the issue still occurs. I found it happens often when right clicking the image while in full screen several times.
Thank you for the info. Will need to check in with that display internally.

Soldato
KB5030310 is installed on my PC, tried the reg key thing and that didn't work and also on the latest 23.10.2 driver.

Chucked my 4090 FE back in for now and will try the 7900XTX again in a few weeks as I will do a fresh instal of Windows 11.

Thanks for the help.

Put the 7900XTX back in yesterday, checked Windows updates and installed KB5031905 and this has fixed the issue.

No more "Default performance tuning settings have been restored due to an unexpected failure" and Adrenelin settings are no longer defaulting back to standard every reboot.

:)

Soldato
I'm finding if I leave my computer on and come back to it after say an hour the monitor has gone into standby mode and it remains off even after I've moved the mouse/touched the keyboard. The only thing that works is unplugging the display-port cable and plugging it back in but that causes the computer to reboot. I've checked all the power saving settings on my monitor and the power modes in Windows but noting seems to work so I'm left to think it's the graphics card (or GPU driver). Anyone else having a similar issue?

Back
Top Bottom