• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Does anyone else have issues with signal drop out/glitches on desktop/video on 7 series cards? - I've been having issues since buying this card (7900XT)

With my 3060ti it was working perfectly though my AV reciever to my TV (all HDMI), as soon as I got this card it was getting constant signal drops and the audio would cut out every time I went from full screen to not, or back.
Changed to inputting direct to the TV, with audio out to the reciever via ARC, which resolved the audio issues but was still left with intermittent glitches (a pixelated horizontal white bar across about 10% of the screen) as well as occasionally not detecting the signal at all when turning the machine on, requiring me to unplug the HDMI or restart the TV/PC, sometimes all three.

Tried changing out the HDMI cable, from initially a cheap one, then to a high speed rated one, and now a fibre based one which should be well above spec for 4k60 (even the cheap one was fine on the 3060ti).
Finally a month or so ago I changed to a DP>HDMI adapter and haven't had an issue since, until tonight when the pixelated bar glitches have returned :(

In all of this I've never noticed an issue while gaming (on either screen), just on desktop or while watching videos.

I would return the card but I'm 99% sure they wouldn't be able to easily replicate the issue and just send it back.... it's driving me nuts and is in no way acceptable for a £700+ product

(Edit: Sorry if off topic, as this has been the same across every driver I have tried since buying the card... just desparately hoping someone can help me resolve it!)
What have you done on the software side in regards to windows, 3rd party apps, old drivers, etc etc?

Associate
What have you done on the software side in regards to windows, 3rd party apps, old drivers, etc etc?
Knew there was something major missing, thanks!

Drivers - Have tried numerous releases since owning the card (Jul 23 onwards)
3rd party - I don't use afterburner or anything like that, I do use HWinfo and HWMON for monitoring (my understanding is these would only have an effect while the program is running), as well as the in-built AMD tools.
OS - Have reinstalled Windows (10 pro, 22H2) around January, completely fresh install on a new nvme.

Hardware - In the time I have had this issue I have changed (for unrelated reasons): CPU, Motherboard, RAM, NVME, primary monitor, tried both HDMI and both Display ports with various cables as mentioned above.

Last edited:
Associate
there is an option under settings> display when using hdmi on the amd driver, i cant recall whats its called off the top of my head, but from memory its to do with HDMI signal, have you tried it?

edit: something to do with hdmi handshake if i recall correctly.

Last edited:
Associate
hdmi handshake
I feel like I know what you're talking about, but I can't find it myself on the latest driver.

@TrojanWhore if you're out of things to try, Google "Brand new 7900 xtx dropping HDMI audio occasionally", Reddit thread where someone in the comments fixed display issues by reducing some overclocks. I know that thread was about HDMI audio, but you never know.

Associate
there is an option under settings> display when using hdmi on the amd driver, i cant recall whats its called off the top of my head, but from memory its to do with HDMI signal, have you tried it?

edit: something to do with hdmi handshake if i recall correctly.
I tried digging through any settings I could find at the time, when I switch to the DP adapter I was having some issues with overscan (where the image was scaled to slightly bigger than it should so the taskbar was half off the screen), but sorted that with the settings on the TV.
As it's now running on the DP output I don't think the HDMI settings would affect anything, but I'll switch it back over and have a look soon.

I feel like I know what you're talking about, but I can't find it myself on the latest driver.

@TrojanWhore if you're out of things to try, Google "Brand new 7900 xtx dropping HDMI audio occasionally", Reddit thread where someone in the comments fixed display issues by reducing some overclocks. I know that thread was about HDMI audio, but you never know.

I've googled myself almost to death on multiple occasions since owning the card... I did think maybe upping the idle or memory clocks may help (reminiscent of the issues way back in the day, I think it was HD5850/5870 or similar, where multiple screens would have issues due to the idle clocks being too low).
May be a good time to delve in to the tuning, as I haven't really bothered since boost technologies took off in GPUs, been meaning to get around to trying an undervolt anyway!

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Associate
I tried digging through any settings I could find at the time, when I switch to the DP adapter I was having some issues with overscan (where the image was scaled to slightly bigger than it should so the taskbar was half off the screen), but sorted that with the settings on the TV.
As it's now running on the DP output I don't think the HDMI settings would affect anything, but I'll switch it back over and have a look soon.

I've googled myself almost to death on multiple occasions since owning the card... I did think maybe upping the idle or memory clocks may help (reminiscent of the issues way back in the day, I think it was HD5850/5870 or similar, where multiple screens would have issues due to the idle clocks being too low).
May be a good time to delve in to the tuning, as I haven't really bothered since boost technologies took off in GPUs, been meaning to get around to trying an undervolt anyway!

Thanks for the suggestions :)
seems like the setting is moved or removed on the newer driver i cant seem to find it anymore but ive used it in the past and it was there. i was thinking you were still using hdmi all the way around. let us know if the swap enables the button and if the button fixes it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom