• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Since issues posted in this thread seem to get earnest attention from AMD, I'd like to mention idle power consumption again. It had been at high-but-bearable levels up to driver version 24.4.1, with the overlay showing GPU BRD PWR of about 60W when just sitting at the desktop. Version 24.5.1 increased that to a ridiculous 100W. 24.6.1 behaves the same as 24.5.1.

I can reduce it back down to 60W by setting my primary monitor to 120Hz instead of the full 165Hz. If I also disable HDR on my primary monitor then it goes down to a much more reasonable 35W.

If I measure total system power consumption at the wall, it also shows about 40W extra with the newer drivers, so it's not just a change in what the overlay shows.

Sapphire 7900XTX Nitro+
Primary monitor: Samsung Neo G7 (4k, 165Hz, HDR)
Secondary monitor: Samsung U32E850R (4k, 60Hz, SDR)
Windows 10 21H2 LTSC

Both monitors connected with DP. HDMI is worse.

Last edited:
Since issues posted in this thread seem to get earnest attention from AMD, I'd like to mention idle power consumption again. It had been at high-but-bearable levels up to driver version 24.4.1, with the overlay showing GPU BRD PWR of about 60W when just sitting at the desktop. Version 24.5.1 increased that to a ridiculous 100W. 24.6.1 behaves the same as 24.5.1.

I can reduce it back down to 60W by setting my primary monitor to 120Hz instead of the full 165Hz. If I also disable HDR on my primary monitor then it goes down to a much more reasonable 35W.

If I measure total system power consumption at the wall, it also shows about 40W extra with the newer drivers, so it's not just a change in what the overlay shows.

Sapphire 7900XTX Nitro+
Primary monitor: Samsung Neo G7 (4k, 165Hz, HDR)
Secondary monitor: Samsung U32E850R (4k, 60Hz, SDR)
Windows 10 21H2 LTSC

Both monitors connected with DP. HDMI is worse.

100 Watts is insane... is that just because you're running more than one display?

2fAbuEf.png

100 Watts is insane... is that just because you're running more than one display?
I think it's the combination of multiple displays with at least one having a high refresh rate; maybe something to do with the total bandwidth required, given that HDR affects it too. Just having two monitors is fine, as long as they are both 60Hz.

Its a multiple monitor and hi refresh issue, something to do with the gpu ram needing a more juice I think. I was mostly fixed but certain combinations need to still cause excessively high usage.
I only use one monitor but my previous screen was 144hz and would use ~15w. New monitor is 360hz and uses and ~35w idle

Desktop power draw has still been wonky, but improved after installing latest driver and doing a CRU reset.

On a 4K VRR TV @ 120Hz:
  • Previous driver my 7900XT mem clock was pinned at max and power draw was 76-82W
  • 24.6.1 driver the 7900XT mem clock is mostly flat at 909MHz and power draw is 20-55W
I don't mess with settings in CRU, but it always seems to reduce power draw (for a bit) if I use it to do a reset and restart.

Powercolor rx7600
Drivers still setting max memory clock to 2900mhz

Setting max to 2600 helps reduce crashes but it does still randomly crash and reset it back to 2900

Last edited:
Powercolor rx7600
Drivers still setting max memory clock to 2900mhz

Setting max to 2600 helps reduce crashes but it does still randomly crash and reset it back to 2900
2900 is 23.2 GB/s. That is extremely high....

They are supposed to be 18 GB/s, that's 2250. that's what you need to set it to.

2600 is still too high, i have 19.5 GB/s memory (2450) and i can't run at 2600 for 24/7 use.

Are you running MSI AB? check that's not set to 2900.

Last edited:
that's the problem yeah, it's 2900 max boost but seems like that's just too high for me and some others, but we shoulsdn't have to set our mem speed manually from default to not get crashes :/

that's the problem yeah, it's 2900 max boost but seems like that's just too high for me and some others, but we shoulsdn't have to set our mem speed manually from default to not get crashes :/

No, absolutely not, the mem should not be running at more than 2250, something is wrong if it is because that's not how it will be set in its BIOS.

I can understand 2900 Mhz on the core, my RX 7800 XT will run 3Ghz, even higher if i manually tweak it that far, they can do it but i think for your GPU anything over 2700 Mhz is overclocking, out of the box mine runs at >2500 with a cited boost of 2430Mhz, your cited boost is 2655 Mhz and anything around that or slightly higher is normal, but not 2900 unless Powercolour have been a little over zealous with thier own custom BIOS, which it could be.

Last edited:
24.6.1 is the first "bad" driver I've had in years, major stuttering issues that were not present with 24.5.1. One to skip for me it seems.
Same here. I even installed a new CPU cooler because I thought maybe the stuttering was due to thermal throttling. I mean, that needed doing anyway but it was the downgrade to 24.5.1 that fixed it.

When we say major stuttering, I mean literally major stuttering, dropping to sub-10fps on a game that normally runs at over 200fps average on 6900XT. No idea how this one got out the door as WHQL.

Same here. I even installed a new CPU cooler because I thought maybe the stuttering was due to thermal throttling. I mean, that needed doing anyway but it was the downgrade to 24.5.1 that fixed it.

When we say major stuttering, I mean literally major stuttering, dropping to sub-10fps on a game that normally runs at over 200fps average on 6900XT. No idea how this one got out the door as WHQL.
6950XT here so basically the same card. My average framerate remained in the ballpark of "correct" but the microstutter percentage was constantly around the 5% range, which is extremely noticeable.

It seems WHQL hasn't really meant anything in a long time when it comes to drivers from any vendor.

Which game as I could do a test as well to compare (if I have it)?

Does anyone else have issues with signal drop out/glitches on desktop/video on 7 series cards? - I've been having issues since buying this card (7900XT)

With my 3060ti it was working perfectly though my AV reciever to my TV (all HDMI), as soon as I got this card it was getting constant signal drops and the audio would cut out every time I went from full screen to not, or back.
Changed to inputting direct to the TV, with audio out to the reciever via ARC, which resolved the audio issues but was still left with intermittent glitches (a pixelated horizontal white bar across about 10% of the screen) as well as occasionally not detecting the signal at all when turning the machine on, requiring me to unplug the HDMI or restart the TV/PC, sometimes all three.

Tried changing out the HDMI cable, from initially a cheap one, then to a high speed rated one, and now a fibre based one which should be well above spec for 4k60 (even the cheap one was fine on the 3060ti).
Finally a month or so ago I changed to a DP>HDMI adapter and haven't had an issue since, until tonight when the pixelated bar glitches have returned :(

In all of this I've never noticed an issue while gaming (on either screen), just on desktop or while watching videos.

I would return the card but I'm 99% sure they wouldn't be able to easily replicate the issue and just send it back.... it's driving me nuts and is in no way acceptable for a £700+ product

(Edit: Sorry if off topic, as this has been the same across every driver I have tried since buying the card... just desparately hoping someone can help me resolve it!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom