• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Had a quick scan but couldn't see any fix for the drivers clocking the max core speed for a 7600 waaaaaay too high by default ?
Causes black screens on my son's PC so we have to downclock it below it's rated speed because it'll always boost above the max regardless of what you set it to (expected behaviour but annoying)

Last edited:
AMD Rep
Vendor Rep
no only thing i used was chill set to 71-74 (which i always do no matter the driver version), but then i noticed the refresh rate issue after setting it, tried quite a few different things to get the refresh rate back, tried to also set a custom resolution which didn't help. then i noticed the the performance issues - it was like i was capped at 40fps in game but no caps set and i lost a whole bunch of resolution options, so i decided to roll back. il give the upgrade another go if i get chance this evening, maybe something went wrong during the install causing an issue along the way.
I see, that's interesting. The installer should prompt for a factory reset going between major versions like this. I'm wondering if there's an edge case at play with the mechanism used to retain user settings under this scenario.

Associate
I see, that's interesting. The installer should prompt for a factory reset going between major versions like this. I'm wondering if there's an edge case at play with the mechanism used to retain user settings under this scenario.
sorry just to clarify, it wasnt an upgrade. i did a DDU on the old driver before installing the new driver (with a reboot after ddu - cant imagine youve not heard of it but just in case https://www.guru3d.com/download/display-driver-uninstaller-download/) . when installing the new driver i also selected the factory reset option.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've also somehow lost the 75hz refresh rate i had before the update and can now only set to 60hz.
Did you try reinstalling your monitor driver to see if it brought back the correct refresh rate? TBH on the use of the Chill feature itself, is it worth using it if you are setting such a tight range (71 - 74) on a 75Hz monitor. Usually you would use Chill and set the low value to the bottom of the Freesync range for your monitor in order to help reduce power and wasted FPS i.e when standing still in a game. What is the Hz range of your monitor? Might just be worthwhile disabling Chill. Anyway, I know that doesn't explain the issue with the new driver.

Last edited:
Associate
Did you try reinstalling your monitor driver to see if it brought back the correct refresh rate? TBH on the use of the Chill feature itself, is it worth using it if you are setting such a tight range (71 - 74) on a 75Hz monitor. Usually you would use Chill and set the low value to the bottom of the Freesync range for your monitor in order to help reduce power and wasted FPS i.e when standing still in a game. What is the Hz range of your monitor? Might just be worthwhile disabling Chill. Anyway, I know that doesn't explain the issue with the new driver.
no i didn't, i will try it though if i have the same issue when i do reinstall the driver. in regards to chill, i find it better than a frame cap personally with much less lag and general issues. i did use a framecap previously a few years back, but when chill came out i swapped to it and never looked back. need a new monitor really with higher refresh rate but finding a decent higher than 1080 ultradewide 29" monitor is now impossible and i simply cant fit a bigger one in due to the setup constrictions.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've done the latter, wasn't sure if voltage would be a good or bad thing to edit. I shouldn't have to though :/

You don't have to do it but undervolting the card not only means it will draw less power but it will also run cooler and quieter and boost higher and for longer (if you let it). I did it mainly to stop the card pulling so much power, the rest is a nice bonus.

Man of Honour
If it doesn't work at stock settings it's faulty. Like you say, you shouldn't have to faff around getting a card to run at stock so I would RMA it. Bit of a long shot but have you tried running DDU to completely get rid of all traces of the driver then reinstalling the latest driver?

Associate
It's a driver/adrenaline thing as far as I can see, there's a few threads across the net with the exact problem and forcing an 'underclock' to stock speeds means the card is fine.
The max clock is set to (I'm remembering here so it's not exact) something like 2800 whereas the card clocks are actually 2650. At stock with that 2800 clock it crashes, but drop the max clock to 2600 and it boosts to 2650 (!) i.e. within spec so doesn't crash, it's just something so simple and stupid I've no idea why it's even a thing.

It did it when I had the card in my rig (DDU used), my sons old one (DDU) and his new (damn him and his 7800X3D) rig, so it's the card/drivers.

Last edited:
Associate
fixed all the issues by reinstalling the new driver over the old driver, checking factory reset. not sure I've ever seen DDU cause an issue like that before. but new driver is now working as it should.

Back
Top Bottom