• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Quickly tried the drivers with Witcher3 and am happy so far.
Gpu usage 86% on both cards, fps = 60fps with Hairworks ON, Shadows and foliage distance set to High, AA off, everything else Ultra, 16x tesselation in CCC, Sweet FX.

AA on drops fps to 30fps which is weird :(
Didn't see flicker unless AA is turned on. It was minor anyway, not a lot like in AFR mode.

Good stuff.

Last edited:
My FPS in TW3 is WORSE with crossfire on than only one card. What a ****ing joke. GPU Usage sucks too.

witcher32015-05-2900-38-30-62.jpg

Same performance as before for me too under crossfire. Forcing AFR friendly gives me the performance boost I should be seeing but textures still a flickering mess.

Edit: Ignore that, forgot to delete the profile I had. Nice, solid performance boost now with no flickering so far. Happy :D

Last edited:
sooooo just tried it. Im getting pretty awesome scaling with those...went from about 22fps to 38 fps. Only downside is it only works if I turn aa off and im stuck with those awful jaggies. Still some flickering too but its not too bad.

Just gave it a quick test in Witcher 3 and the performance is a lot better. Gone from 24-30 fps on medium/low settings at 1080p, to 40-70 fps on high settings at 1440p. There is slight flickering, even with AA turned off, but it's a lot lot better. Room for improvement, but it's nice to actually feel some power in my hardware again.

Any attempts to try Hairworks renders the game unplayable for me, but that's me just splitting hairs (pun intended).

Performance pretty much there for me with xfire now.

On a single card I was getting 65fps maybe with grass density down one notch and hairworks off, 1440p that dropped to 50fps, 1800p that was down to sub 35fps. With xfire I get around 85/75/65 respectively. Cpu limited at 1080p in xfire, a little less so at 1440p, 1800p hitting both gpus at near enough 100% and great scaling from one to two cards.

Some flicker, need to play around with sweetfx aa settings, too late for that now.

Could the driver be better, sure, did a driver released way before the game work perfectly with a single card, yup. Is sli perfect on every launch, nope, is it always perfect within a week, nope, has xfire or sli at any time in the past decade been perfect for every game, nope, if you get more than one card and expect perfection you're asking to be disappointed.

There are times where both AMD and Nvidia haven't had a driver that works with a new game for a single card well. Some people like to overstate the problems and are completely delusional about previous drivers and the competitions drivers.

What I expect from AMD or Nvidia is 99% of games working day 1 in single card mode, what I HOPE is xfire working on most games from day 1, what I can live with and not care about is some games won't be great with two cards, that goes for Nvidia and AMD. There are numerous games where BOTH companies had huge problems giving good scaling or good support.

If this game sucked single card it would be a major problem but it doesn't.

There are times where both AMD and Nvidia haven't had a driver that works with a new game for a single card well. Some people like to overstate the problems and are completely delusional about previous drivers and the competitions drivers.

Typical reactions when game gets released:

-Both AMD and nvidia have problems in game = everyone blames developer of making bad console port

-Other vendor has problems = People are threatening to jump to other vendor because of better support

-Everything is okay = someone comes with outdated computer and blames developers of making bad console port

After playing Witcher 3 for a few hours with the new driver the scaling is nice but the flickering makes it unplayable for me. Its not awful but its annoying and bad enough to not bother with crossfire.

Will give these a crack tonight and see what's what. Something is better than nothing. I remember everyone on here going on about how at least nvidia have users a choice of a buggy driver while they fixed it, so in theory this is the same. Just a lot later

Back
Top Bottom