• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

I've just fired up pcars with the latest driver...now this is what AMD should have delivered on release of the game!

2x290s running everything maxxed out with a respectable 80-85 fps :) It has transformed the game!

Many thanks AMD...although you can't help but think there is still some more performance to eek out in Xfire! Better late than never I suppose!

Well at least that's one barrier out of my way towards buying The Witcher 3, now I just need to finish Dragon Age Inquistion and I'm good to go.

I don't suppose there is any news or updates on the Xfire FreeSync drivers though Matt? It is getting rather annoying having a grands worth of kit (295x2 and BenQ XL2730Z) sitting here and not being able to get full performance out of them :(

If you haven't heard from me, no updates I'm afraid.

I've just fired up pcars with the latest driver...now this is what AMD should have delivered on release of the game!

2x290s running everything maxxed out with a respectable 80-85 fps :) It has transformed the game!

Many thanks AMD...although you can't help but think there is still some more performance to eek out in Xfire! Better late than never I suppose!

Good to hear. :)

Last edited:
Well at least that's one barrier out of my way towards buying The Witcher 3, now I just need to finish Dragon Age Inquistion and I'm good to go.

I don't suppose there is any news or updates on the Xfire FreeSync drivers though Matt? It is getting rather annoying having a grands worth of kit (295x2 and BenQ XL2730Z) sitting here and not being able to get full performance out of them :(

Tell me about it :(

Hi how do i enable freesync for one card i have disabled the second card and enabled fs in ccc panel is that all i need to do, or do i need to turn on vsync in game?

so i dont need vsync enabled in game then?

FreeSync gives you a choice, you can choose to have Vsync on or off while using it and this will affect the behaviour depending on if you're inside or outside the FreeSync range. Try both and see which experience you prefer? Or you can enable FreeSync and lock the FPS to the upper range of the supported FreeSync range of your monitor.

Personally speaking, I'd like Vsync off and FreeSync enabled as there is no noticeable tearing with higher refresh monitors anyway, and most importantly, you get less input lag!

TechReport did a deep dive on FreeSync and i recommend giving it a read. I think you'll find it very enlightening. :)

AMD has built some flexibility into FreeSync's operation: the user can choose whether to enable or disable vsync for frames that exceed the display's timing tolerance. Consider what happens if frames are coming in from the GPU too quickly for the display to keep up. With vsync enabled, the display will wait a full 6.94 ms before updating the screen, possibly discarding excess frames. (G-Sync always behaves in this manner.) With vsync disabled, the display will go ahead and update the screen mid-refresh, getting the freshest information to the user's eyes while potentially introducing a tearing artifact. Since variable refresh is active, the screen will only tear when the frame rate goes above or below the display's refresh range.

Giving users the option of enabling vsync in this situation is a smart move, one that I fully expect Nvidia to copy in future versions of G-Sync.

Source
http://techreport.com/review/28073/benq-xl2730z-freesync-monitor-reviewed/3

Are you sure it's Catalyst Control Center causing that? Because i don't see that issue and i use a 7990, Catalyst Control Center and afterburner.

What settings are you using in Afterburner?

To answer your question though, yes you should be able to avoid using it without issue. However you will lose the ability to use custom Crossfire profiles.

I used the setting you put in the original 7990 thread, and undervolt to 1.135v, I have to close either CC or afterburner or I notice stuttering. I will try the new drivers over the weekend. Thanks.

Are you sure it's Catalyst Control Center causing that? Because i don't see that issue and i use a 7990, Catalyst Control Center and afterburner.

Thanks for the drivers. Matt I really like how you invest you own money to different card configs like getting that 7990 even having whole battalion of 290x's at you disposal. Gives you the ability to elaborate down to userlevel and test their settings in action. Really appreciate this.

About drivers, I get average 10 fps over 15.4 drivers, but only few fps over modded win10 drivers. I just hope you guys can get that lower overhead from those win10 drivers transferred to official drivers aswell.

Any progress on this, or waiting bigger driver upgrade for Fiji? :)

Thanks for the drivers. Matt I really like how you invest you own money to different card configs like getting that 7990 even having whole battalion of 290x's at you disposal. Gives you the ability to elaborate down to userlevel and test their settings in action. Really appreciate this.

About drivers, I get average 10 fps over 15.4 drivers, but only few fps over modded win10 drivers. I just hope you guys can get that lower overhead from those win10 drivers transferred to official drivers aswell.

Any progress on this, or waiting bigger driver upgrade for Fiji? :)

That's why i do it. I won't lie, i get some hardware for free, but a lot of the gpu's i pay for myself simply because it allows me to do my job better. Oh, and it's kindof a hobby. :D

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Just to confirm, what is usually the best way to install new drivers:

- install on top of current ones
- uninstall current then restart and install new ones
- uninstall, run DDU and install new ones

Also, are these still the best settings to use in AMD ccc for pretty much every game?

FxrTgyy.png

Just to confirm, what is usually the best way to install new drivers:

- install on top of current ones
- uninstall current then restart and install new ones
- uninstall, run DDU and install new ones

Also, are these still the best settings to use in AMD ccc for pretty much every game?

FxrTgyy.png

TL : DR

Uninstall old drivers. Restart. Download and install new drivers. Restart. :)

Official Method

For instructions on how to uninstall or install the AMD Catalyst Software Suite, you may refer to the following support resources:

How-To Uninstall AMD Catalyst™ Drivers From A Windows® Based System
How-To Install AMD Catalyst™ Drivers For A Windows® Based System

I'd recommend leaving Catalyst Control Center settings at default, typically. Most (but not all) of our performance optimisations are performed on the Standard texture preset.

I hope you get one of the new AMD Radeon (name pending) for your troubles. :)

I'll probably get four though i expect I'll be paying for most, if not all of them. :D

TL : DR

Uninstall old drivers. Restart. Download and install new drivers. Restart. :)

Official Method

For instructions on how to uninstall or install the AMD Catalyst Software Suite, you may refer to the following support resources:

How-To Uninstall AMD Catalyst™ Drivers From A Windows® Based System
How-To Install AMD Catalyst™ Drivers For A Windows® Based System

I'd recommend leaving Catalyst Control Center settings at default, typically. Most (but not all) of our performance optimisations are performed on the Standard texture preset.

Cool thanks! :D

Back
Top Bottom