• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Quickly tried the drivers with Witcher3 and am happy so far.
Gpu usage 86% on both cards, fps = 60fps with Hairworks ON, Shadows and foliage distance set to High, AA off, everything else Ultra, 16x tesselation in CCC, Sweet FX.

AA on drops fps to 30fps which is weird :(
Didn't see flicker unless AA is turned on. It was minor anyway, not a lot like in AFR mode.

Good stuff.

pCARS is running much better than in any drivers I've installed on Windows 8.1, including modded Windows 10 drivers, from my brief test so far. :)

I got 12fps (~30%) extra on the grid start at Spa, compared to my previous AMD driver, using the low settings I had in place earlier on Thursday night.

Same performance as before for me too under crossfire. Forcing AFR friendly gives me the performance boost I should be seeing but textures still a flickering mess.

Edit: Ignore that, forgot to delete the profile I had. Nice, solid performance boost now with no flickering so far. Happy :D

The recommended optimisations have been expanded to include crossfire now. Turning off TemporalAA in the render.ini doubled my fps on xfire 290. There's no need to disable all AA in game though, I think that option is just for people who don't want to edit .ini's.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Optimizing-The-Witcher-3.aspx

Good to hear guys! :)

Everyone playing The Witcher 3 with Crossfire, please follow the tips in the KB, it will improve your experience greatly.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Optimizing-The-Witcher-3.aspx

Disable TemporalAA as above ^. Doing this you can then experiment with in game AA enabled, and see what works best for you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Witcher xfire implementation, now get cracking on the Elite profile please :) *cracks whip*

Heard loud and clear over Elite Dangerous guys, I promise it's been requested and I'm pushing for it to be included as soon as is possible. I'm afraid i cannot give you more than this for now, but trust me I'm making it clear that we want this included in a future driver.

Last edited:
Gave it a quick go, did not see a noticeable increase in frame via fraps, but the game works great with my settings on 4k for a single 290 card so I can't complain.

Well done AMD for finally getting this out. Now for a WHQL driver with the release of the 300 series would be nice. I am not bothered much myself, but clearly many in here love WHQL for some reason (Microsoft fan boys?) :D

Matt, I am sure you personally are doing your best.

But this is the second time this happened to me. When I had 3 x 290, my most played game was bf4, and I couldn't get good performance.

Eventually dropped those to go with 2 x 970, which for most part were ok, but the memory issue was a real thing, and had to drop setting lower than I should have needed.

So several months later when Ocuk offered refund, Nvidia had nothing else so took a chance to go back to Amd with 3 x 8gb 290x. Bf4 was running beautifully by this point! But my time with the game was ending.

So now the game I want to play most this year is elite. And this game has gone completely and utterly ignored by AMD.

I don't want to take a financial hit from once again selling up and going nvidia, but I don't feel they are leaving me a great deal of choice.

Or else by the time I get the performance I should have, I will possibly be done with it.

Matt, I am sure you personally are doing your best.

But this is the second time this happened to me. When I had 3 x 290, my most played game was bf4, and I couldn't get good performance.

Eventually dropped those to go with 2 x 970, which for most part were ok, but the memory issue was a real thing, and had to drop setting lower than I should have needed.

So several months later when Ocuk offered refund, Nvidia had nothing else so took a chance to go back to Amd with 3 x 8gb 290x. Bf4 was running beautifully by this point! But my time with the game was ending.

So now the game I want to play most this year is elite. And this game has gone completely and utterly ignored by AMD.

I don't want to take a financial hit from once again selling up and going nvidia, but I don't feel they are leaving me a great deal of choice.

Or else by the time I get the performance I should have, I will possibly be done with it.

Is elite really that bad on xfire? I e got it but not played it sincei went from my 980 to crossfire 290's

You can force crossfire, but you get terrible flickering in certain places.

Performance is still great with a single card, but I'd love to be able to up the AA and / or use VSR.

Don't forget eyetrip is running a 4k monitor in his sig, and that's going to be a lot of pixels to power.

Personally, can't think the game is that difficult to run though - I used to run it quite happily on my Spectrum when it was first released! :D

Wait, so TW3 profile doesn't actually work properly? I'm downloading the driver so haven't been able to check.

EDIT: Just read notes

WHAT. THE. ****.

So for a crossfire profile we get some half-arsed garbage?

They were between "a rock and a hard place" so they've just released it "as is", this is gonna get ugly ;) <popcorn out>

We suggest to disable AA as it currently causes negative Crossfire scaling and flickering. However with it disabled Crossfire works well with around 80-90% scaling, depending on the resolution and hardware used. We felt it was worth releasing in this state rather than waiting (however long) until this issue was fixed between the dev and us. We also wanted to get our Project Cars fixes out as soon as possible. We spent time creating a detailed KB for our customers to ensure they get the best possible experience in The Witcher 3 with Crossfire enabled.

AMDMatt do we need to install the Catalyst Control Centre to get the crossfire profiles to work, I don't use it and find it can cause stuttering with Afterburner on my 7990.

AMDMatt do we need to install the Catalyst Control Centre to get the crossfire profiles to work, I don't use it and find it can cause stuttering with Afterburner on my 7990.

Are you sure it's Catalyst Control Center causing that? Because i don't see that issue and i use a 7990, Catalyst Control Center and afterburner.

What settings are you using in Afterburner?

To answer your question though, yes you should be able to avoid using it without issue. However you will lose the ability to use custom Crossfire profiles.

Don't forget eyetrip is running a 4k monitor in his sig, and that's going to be a lot of pixels to power.

Personally, can't think the game is that difficult to run though - I used to run it quite happily on my Spectrum when it was first released! :D

It's moved on a bit since then :D

Some parts are fine. Flying around space in general is not very taxing.

But in stations and asteroid belts performance tanks, and is not very smooth - especially the asteroid belts.

And I want more antialiasing. The game has lots of straight lines...

And it's not a gameworks title, so not sure what the excuse is for this one. Nvidia have had working SLI for some time.

Forcing crossfire does not help. I can get three cards running, but there is no scaling at all.

Will try this later with the witcher 3, but might wait until the fully optimised drivers are released before I start properly. Depends on the performance on my 295x2 at 1440p I guess.

Well at least that's one barrier out of my way towards buying The Witcher 3, now I just need to finish Dragon Age Inquistion and I'm good to go.

I don't suppose there is any news or updates on the Xfire FreeSync drivers though Matt? It is getting rather annoying having a grands worth of kit (295x2 and BenQ XL2730Z) sitting here and not being able to get full performance out of them :(

Back
Top Bottom