• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
If you're not already, I'd recommend using the 14.12 driver as that had some Dragon Age improvements in it.

Have you tried both API's in Dragon Age to see which one works best? I've not had any time to test it out myself yet, so I'd give both DX and Mante a try and see which one works best.

Yeah i'm currently running the 14.12 Driver.
Ive tried Mantle but it just turns into a stuttery mess so ive had to stick with DX.

Caporegime
OP
I thought so really, I'm grabbing an 8GB 290x just after christmas to run in trifire which will hopefully solve a lot of the problems i'm having.

Adding a 8gb 290X to a 295x2 8GB card will still only give you a total usable memory footprint of 4gb. This is because the 295x2's 8gb of video memory is shared between the two gpus, giving them 4gb each.

Associate
Adding a 8gb 290X to a 295x2 8GB card will still only give you a total usable memory footprint of 4gb. This is because the 295x2's 8gb of video memory is shared between the two gpus, giving them 4gb each.

Hmm, I thought if I put an 8GB 290x in the top pcie with the 295 running below it, it would give me the whole 8GB from the 290x?

I know that the 295X2 is basically a 4GB card, or am I missing something here.

Associate
I'm afraid not, it will use the card with the lower memory at the base.

I see, good job I checked I guess :eek:
Hmm, not sure what to do now then, I don't feel like 4GB is enough to run some new and upcoming games in 4k.
I guess ill look into selling this 295x2 and picking up a couple of 8GB 290x's or the 8GB 980's if they're coming out.
Thanks for the help anyway! :D

Caporegime
OP
I see, good job I checked I guess :eek:
Hmm, not sure what to do now then, I don't feel like 4GB is enough to run some new and upcoming games in 4k.
I guess ill look into selling this 295x2 and picking up a couple of 8GB 290x's or the 8GB 980's if they're coming out.
Thanks for the help anyway! :D

That's what I'd do. I have four of the 290X 8GB Sapphire cards from OcuK because i found 4gb to be limiting in quite a few games at 4K and that will only increase as time goes on. I'd recommend two of the Sapphire 290X 8GB Vapor-X cards.

Associate
Only if he has very good airflow, 1 of those cards is virtually silent, with 2 inside a case one gets quite a bit hotter and can kick up quite a racket.

I'm not too worried about the noise really.
As far as heat goes I have one of the Aerocool Strike-X cases, cant check which as i'm at work right now but its massive and I can fit a side fan to pull some heat out from between them which should sort it.
Just need to figure out how to get rid of this 295x2 now.

Caporegime
OP
I'm not too worried about the noise really.
As far as heat goes I have one of the Aerocool Strike-X cases, cant check which as i'm at work right now but its massive and I can fit a side fan to pull some heat out from between them which should sort it.
Just need to figure out how to get rid of this 295x2 now.

You'll be fine then.

Associate
Hi Matt

Do you know of any issues with the new drivers causing sound problems when v sync is turned on?

Since installing the Omega drivers I seem to be getting sound popping and crackling if I'm playing music as the same time as running a game. As soon as I turn v sync off in game the sound starts playing fine again.

This happens on my wife's system as well. Wondered if this is a known issue? (Didnt have this problem on previous version of driver)

Mine: Win 8.1, R9 295X2
Hers: Win 7, R9 290X

Caporegime
OP
Hi Matt

Do you know of any issues with the new drivers causing sound problems when v sync is turned on?

Since installing the Omega drivers I seem to be getting sound popping and crackling if I'm playing music as the same time as running a game. As soon as I turn v sync off in game the sound starts playing fine again.

This happens on my wife's system as well. Wondered if this is a known issue? (Didnt have this problem on previous version of driver)

Hi,

Could you send me a trust message please and include both DXDIAG reports for both computers?

Do you have any sound cards by any chance?

Caporegime
OP
hi matt

I have use a single card(R9 290), if I want the max performance

Should i disable ULPS?

thanks.

Up to you, this is how it works for single card and multi card.

ULPS/ZeroCore

One GPU, monitor in power save (blinking amber), GPU shuts down and fan stops.
Two GPU, user working with PC in non-3D app, GPU 2 shuts down and the fan stops.
Two GPU, monitor in power save, both GPUs shut down and the fans stop.

So in other words if you leave it enabled then the gpu and fan will shut down and consume no power when the monitor enters power saving mode. There is no real performance benefit to disabling it, but it won't hurt either. It may give a tiny performance boost, but i doubt you would notice it.

Soldato
Hi Matt

Do me a favour and run latencymon (free to download) and see what your DPC latency is like. You may be suffering from the high DPC lag some of us have been experiencing. For me, disabling my secondary monitor in CCC fixes the problem so I can use vsync, as does disabling xfire, otherwise I have to leave vsync off (although this isn't as good as disabling my 2nd screen I've found). Your missus only has a single card so it may be unrelated, but give it a go and see what you get.

Associate
Matt

Sent you an email for dxdiag.

Devrij

I have run it and it confirms that with vsync on I get massive latency and not so with it off.

Without Vsync
CaptureWithoutVSync.PNG

With Vsync
CaptureWithVSync.PNG

The without vsync shows some higher than actual cause of the alt tab to desktop to kick it off.

Another interesting thing I have I noticed is that with vsync off and only in the menu of a game if I alt tab to desktop one of the cpu core's usage goes to near max and then the audio starts popping. Will attempt to show it with the screen below:

Capture3.PNG

Last edited:
Soldato
I never updated my latency issues.. My second GPU was faulty it's now back at overclockers waiting replacement.

What you seeing is the same I was getting, does by any chance this happen without crossfire enabled?
And if you leave the game to stutter does your game either crash by driver stopped responding or bsod?

Associate
PC doesn't crash, can leave it stuttering for ages and it carries on fine. Eventually I get too annoyed so will turn off vsync or the music.

Back
Top Bottom