• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Permabanned
So last night after giving up on Stalker due to the clocks not ramping up and trying to play the last episode of Telltale's Game of thrones and giving up on that because the characters all look like my grandson had traced them with a thick black felt tip I decided to play Project Cars for the first time.
I started a career and entered a Formula that looked similar to Formula Ford which I used to watch at Thruxton as a kid, Anyway I started my first race.
It all seemed fine fps was perfectly playable, A lot lower that most of this genre but it was okay. It was a 2 or 3 lap race but just as I got too the end it froze. Freezing the PC with it forcing a reboot. But i didn't bother trying again I just turned it off for the night, Went to bed and had a good long cry into my pillow.
What is the point in staying with a company like AMD when this is what we get for our money? Such experiences seem to be becoming more and more common too.
I spent 450 quid on a graphics card for what?
Soggy bedding?

PS, I was joking about the bedding, I never made it that far, I crumpled into a ball half way up the stairs.
:(

Associate
I decided to play Project Cars for the first time.
I started a career and entered a Formula that looked similar to Formula Ford which I used to watch at Thruxton as a kid, Anyway I started my first race.
It all seemed fine fps was perfectly playable, A lot lower that most of this genre but it was okay. It was a 2 or 3 lap race but just as I got too the end it froze. Freezing the PC with it forcing a reboot. But i didn't bother trying again I just turned it off for the night, Went to bed and had a good long cry into my pillow.:(
Had a Project Cars session last night two full runs of the California Highway + one replay and all good. No freezing, no variable clocks beyond FRTC of 59 fps @ 4k. Was actually good to play again, still uninstalled Crimson however due to the awful Far Cry 4 performance.

Permabanned
Had a Project Cars session last night two full runs of the California Highway + one replay and all good. No freezing, no variable clocks beyond FRTC of 59 fps @ 4k. Was actually good to play again, still uninstalled Crimson however due to the awful Far Cry 4 performance.

What annoys me is the inconsistency. A lot of us spend a lot of money on there PC, Often over a thousand pounds and mine is primarily for gaming. Like most things a PC is only as strong as it's weakest link and lately even spending large amounts on an AMD graphics card does not stop it being the weak link.

The majority of my gaming has been with AMD with the newer card examples being, 5570, 5770, 6770, 7850, 7850 crossfire, 7950, 265, 290x and the Fury.

But they're becoming so unreliable it'd be crazy of me to consider them again. My Fury Tri'x is a brilliant card but it's the software letting it down.
And we always get an excuse such as now it's gonna be let them clean up Crimson but it's not just Crimson, It's the driver.
Don't get me wrong Crimsons a nightmare for a hardcore gaming rig too but I'll happily remove Crimson and go with the lightweight driver install instead.

My PC had 6tb's of space and over a thousand games on it. Now that they've added the games list to the CCC by making it the Crimson all-in-one every time I want to tweak something in the settings and have to move via the games list it freezes goes white and give a 10 to 15 second delay where you get a not responding message before it moves on, That's if it doesn't crash the program which also happens.
I had just as many programs on the new at the time Nvidia version (I forget what it's called) when I briefly had a 780 and that did not have an issue with the quantity of games, Raptr does not have an issue with them either and allows me to move through and past the list with no problems, As does Steam which has 1300 installed at the moment. But Crimson, Let's out a lot of guff and s***s itself every time you try to navigate through it.

I just want to play my games. :mad:

Soldato
What annoys me is the inconsistency. A lot of us spend a lot of money on there PC, Often over a thousand pounds and mine is primarily for gaming. Like most things a PC is only as strong as it's weakest link and lately even spending large amounts on an AMD graphics card does not stop it being the weak link.

The majority of my gaming has been with AMD with the newer card examples being, 5570, 5770, 6770, 7850, 7850 crossfire, 7950, 265, 290x and the Fury.

But they're becoming so unreliable it'd be crazy of me to consider them again. My Fury Tri'x is a brilliant card but it's the software letting it down.
And we always get an excuse such as now it's gonna be let them clean up Crimson but it's not just Crimson, It's the driver.
Don't get me wrong Crimsons a nightmare for a hardcore gaming rig too but I'll happily remove Crimson and go with the lightweight driver install instead.

My PC had 6tb's of space and over a thousand games on it. Now that they've added the games list to the CCC by making it the Crimson all-in-one every time I want to tweak something in the settings and have to move via the games list it freezes goes white and give a 10 to 15 second delay where you get a not responding message before it moves on, That's if it doesn't crash the program which also happens.
I had just as many programs on the new at the time Nvidia version (I forget what it's called) when I briefly had a 780 and that did not have an issue with the quantity of games, Raptr does not have an issue with them either and allows me to move through and past the list with no problems, As does Steam which has 1300 installed at the moment. But Crimson, Let's out a lot of guff and s***s itself every time you try to navigate through it.

I just want to play my games. :mad:

make a bug report, write the issue down tell them to write so it works better.
your not a normal average user but the software shouldnt work that way anyhow.

I agree, seems the Q/A new crimson control have issues the team writing things are not able to fix logistically as I find this a managing problem a boss that does not know how to do their job.

I have no issues at all so I am a happy camper.

Permabanned
Why am I not an average gamer? I don't run 144hz, I don't run two or more cards and I don't run Freesync. I run Windows and I have a 60 hz 1080p monitor powered by a 4790k and a Fury Tri-x.

As I said the main issues the driver, I tried three games yesterday and they all have issues. I'll happily go without Crimson. The 95 fps limit is fine for me as I have a 60 hz panel at the moment. The problem is how it's running certain games and theyre not obscure games I want to run. I haven't changed anything recently other than drivers and Crimson and up until recently it was all fine. I can remove two of the drives and reduce the games quantity but it still wouldn't make the drivers run the games I want it too any better.

And yes I do reports to AMD.

Soldato
So I'm liking the new Custom Resolutions function thats a nice surprise my old monitor was a nightmare for its resolutions not being recognised. Looks like I've gained about 10fps on my heavily modded Skyrim which I'm happy about. Something must have changed because my stable overclock is no longer stable!

but where has hotkeys gone? I need it to assign keys to swap between monitor displays quickly its the one big advantage CCC had over NVCP, can't seem to find it anywhere :confused:

Ok removed this Crimson UI at least the last CCC still works with the latest driver no way I'm losing Hotkeys. n.b. how are you supposed to remove this "AMD Branding" Cnext carp? Uninstall won't remove it, DDU won't remove it, I had to use Unlocker to manually delete the folder/files and run CCleaner to cleanup the entries from the Registry!

Last edited:
Associate
The hot fix has sorted out the fans not ramping up for me, and clock speeds are stable provided frame pacing is turned off.

However, if crossfire is enabled, Battlefront suffers from black/missing textures, this isn't the lighting quality bug but a separate one that doesn't fix with any quality settings. The only fix is to disable crossfire. Luckily, single card performance is good even on 4K/ultra settings so I can wait for a fix and still pew pew pew.

Associate
Is it just me or is xfire for blops3 broken?
Crimson drivers installed gpu1 clocks up to 1100 gpu2 is sleeping @300.
In game graphics setting it tells me something about anti aliasing not supported on multi gpu configs only two setting listed.

Associate
Guys, is there a fix at all for Elite Dangerous and the supercruise bug where frames are stupidly low like 4 fps at all please?
No, nothing yet. Both AMD and Frontier seem completely disinterested in fixing the problem. The only thing I've found that can mitigate the SC bug at all is enabling non-profile Crossfire, which doubles the frame rate at the cost of introducing some stuttering.

Back
Top Bottom