• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Just for people information.
Driver install over the top should only be done inside the driver update software.
If you download the driver from amd site you should follow amd recommendation and remove old driver first.

So I haven't bothered reapplying my overclock settings since a week ago as Crimson keep forgetting them. Today I turned on my PC, then noticed my overclock settings was active. So... Crimson does remember it, but sometimes fails to apply it during startup?

So I haven't bothered reapplying my overclock settings since a week ago as Crimson keep forgetting them. Today I turned on my PC, then noticed my overclock settings was active. So... Crimson does remember it, but sometimes fails to apply it during startup?

When Crimson was first leaked I installed it and I had that problem. Since removing the leaked driver the last top have been fine for me.

I always install over the top and have never had any issues.

Same here. Up until Crimson that is.
I did a full un-install because it was new software set up.
It installed fine though,
The problem I'm having is with core speeds not ramping up in one or two (3 actually) games that I play all the time that are all over 5 years old.
They performed fine before 15.11

Anyone else having random crashes using Crimson?
My system was perfectly stable on the last Catalyst, but now I'm getting random game crashes, and a message that the display driver has stopped responding.

Anyone else having random crashes using Crimson?
My system was perfectly stable on the last Catalyst, but now I'm getting random game crashes, and a message that the display driver has stopped responding.

I kept getting that today when watching twitch tv fullscreen in firefox and Edge. Chrome was ok though so I suspect some problem with Flash player/Crimson incompatibility. Games are ok so far for me. Are you overclocking?

I kept getting that today when watching twitch tv fullscreen in firefox and Edge. Chrome was ok though so I suspect some problem with Flash player/Crimson incompatibility. Games are ok so far for me. Are you overclocking?

It seems to only happen in games for me. No I'm not overclocking.
I'm running an AMD FX9590 and Asus R9 Fury. Was perfectly stable until the driver update. Guess I'll have to roll back to the last Catalyst until they improve it.

WOW!!! Just want to say Witcher 3 has never run this smooth. It was actually pretty nice before Crimson, but had a constant slight hitch (xfire)... finally played it today on Crimson (beta) and I'm beyond happy :) Not a single hitch. Beautifully smooth!!!!

GG AMD!

IBut when a driver fails to install all functions of the driver package on the first install then they're testing before a driver release is just not good enough especially after they hype it up so much just to let some people down.. it gives a bad impression on them, not me.

Well it installed perfectly first time on my system, maybe AMD has a setup like mine, AMD cant test for every possible setup and possible conflicts with other sofware running in the background like r3d partly overclocking software and AV so there is going to come a time where a driver wont install perfectly first time and that goes for NV as well, there has not been a single driver release where no one has issues with installing or issues with the driver.

Since 2005 i have installed every driver released, i have had 3 installation issues with ATI/AMD and all my setups over the years have been multi GPU, and i bet those drivers installed fine on others setups, its just the way it is.

Last edited:
I hope this is a stupid question- how do I change resolution in Crimson? After installing the drivers it defaulted to 720p. I can't find the option in either Crimson or the advanced settings.

You don't do it from AMD's control panels anymore, but instead use windows settings for that. Right click desktop, Display settings/Display/Advanced display settings. (Win10)

Ever since I upgraded to Crimson drivers the other day I have had an obvious "ripple" effect when moving a window around on my W10 machine immediately after a cold boot.

Restarting the machine appears to resolve the issue every time, but obviously not only should this not actually change anything (Ie ripple should still be present) but it shouldn't be necessary... and just for the record, even waiting for 10 minutes or so for system to become completely stable after a cold boot doesn't appear to get rid of this annoying ripple.

5820k, MSI 390, 16GB all on standard settings and no oc at all

Drivers previous to Crimson appeared to be perfect wish I hadn't updated now.

Any ideas?

Ever since I upgraded to Crimson drivers the other day I have had an obvious "ripple" effect when moving a window around on my W10 machine immediately after a cold boot.

Restarting the machine appears to resolve the issue every time, but obviously not only should this not actually change anything (Ie ripple should still be present) but it shouldn't be necessary... and just for the record, even waiting for 10 minutes or so for system to become completely stable after a cold boot doesn't appear to get rid of this annoying ripple.

5820k, MSI 390, 16GB all on standard settings and no oc at all

Drivers previous to Crimson appeared to be perfect wish I hadn't updated now.

Any ideas?

By ripple effect you mean like screen tearing? If so then maybe something to do with the gpu refresh rate not matching you monitor's 60Hz.
No idea how to check though since Crimson removed all the resolution/rate settings and you now have to use windows for that.

Back
Top Bottom