• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Sweet, I will try it.

Edit: As I feared, wrong usage on 2nd card. When I'm getting usage on both cards the usage between the cards are identical. I'm getting usage on both cards just when browsing the internet.

Monitoring gpu usage on 290's is something I have given up on entirely. It's just broken.

Enabling unified gpu usage monitoring just seems to average the load, or something along those lines.

Not having it enabled results in usage results, that if they were true, would be utterly unplayable.

These days I just check all clocks jump to 3d clocks, and watch temps and frame rate, and try and guess if things are loading ok.

To be honest, the only time I really care about any of that is if things appear to not be working ok.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
AFR+MSAA disabled was fine all the way up to patch 1.8(something), now it's like playing statues, it can freeze completely for anything between ~1 to 8 seconds-don't know if this happens with everyone though, but since that patch, Iv'e sat it down and cracked into SOM.

Would rather wait until AMD have good FC4 mgpu support than release a broken profile...

It's not like Ubi would get the blame for it, that would be AMD's fault wouldn't it.:p

i have friends who stream that game on 980sli and they complain about freezing all the time!

Soldato
AFR+MSAA disabled was fine all the way up to patch 1.8(something), now it's like playing statues, it can freeze completely for anything between ~1 to 8 seconds-don't know if this happens with everyone though, but since that patch, Iv'e sat it down and cracked into SOM.

Would rather wait until AMD have good FC4 mgpu support than release a broken profile...

It's not like Ubi would get the blame for it, that would be AMD's fault wouldn't it.:p

SoM is brutal on the system, I was trying to play at 4k with everything cranked except AA with ultra textures, it was stutter city! Drop to high textures and it ran pretty nicely. :)

Caporegime
OP
Monitoring gpu usage on 290's is something I have given up on entirely. It's just broken.

Enabling unified gpu usage monitoring just seems to average the load, or something along those lines.

Not having it enabled results in usage results, that if they were true, would be utterly unplayable.

These days I just check all clocks jump to 3d clocks, and watch temps and frame rate, and try and guess if things are loading ok.

To be honest, the only time I really care about any of that is if things appear to not be working ok.

I find that bizarre, works normally here provide unified usage monitoring is ticked.

Associate
Crossfire only works in full screen mode?

What? Yes, CFX only works in FULL Screen mode for Direct-X games.

What I'm saying is that I got identical usage on BOTH cards when running window mode, which proves unified monitoring is wrong. (I should have only seen usage on my first GPU in window mode).

Last edited:
Associate
I believe that was the point he was making?

If he is windowed and crossfire should be disabled, then he should not see an equal load (through monitoring) on both cards.

I figured that after making my post. :p

But yeah, unified usage does not work. It makes sense. MSI is copying the usage from card ONE and applying it to card TWO.

It's the perfect false illusion that makes you think everything is being read correctly.

I remember the developer of MSI AB stating that the new AMD cards can't have their usage monitored, so the developer implemented software algorithms to predict usage. That's what we are seeing here. Usage on card ONE is fine. Card TWO is all guess work.

Caporegime
OP
What? Yes, CFX only works in FULL Screen mode for Direct-X games.

What I'm saying is that I got identical usage on BOTH cards when running window mode, which proves unified monitoring is wrong. (I should have only seen usage on my first GPU in window mode).

I believe that was the point he was making?

If he is windowed and crossfire should be disabled, then he should not see an equal load (through monitoring) on both cards.

Ah sorry, I'm with you.

I know it reports high gpu usage, but the clock remains in 2d mode so i don't think it's actually doing anything.

Associate
Ah sorry, I'm with you.

I know it reports high gpu usage, but the clock remains in 2d mode so i don't think it's actually doing anything.

Although true, the reading on the usage is still wrong as I feared. My post at the bottom of page 35 explains more.

In regards to unified usage, some games with poor CFX function can cause reduced usage on the 2nd GPU. If unified monitoring is enabled, we will be lead to believe the usage is equal and constant on both GPU's, when actually....it might not be.

it makes CFX troubleshooting and monitoring hard to track/diagnose.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah sorry, I'm with you.

Exactly. Monitoring is just broken on the 290's for anything more than one card :)

Would be nice if AMD built monitoring into the drivers with it's own OSD.

PS - please don't suggest that BEFORE we get the next drivers :D

Soldato
Monitoring is just broken on the 290's for anything more than one card :)

Mines isn't, it works, as it shows different gpu usage when clocks fluctuate, but I don't have matching 290X's.

Would be nice if AMD built monitoring into the drivers with it's own OSD.

PS - please don't suggest that BEFORE we get the next drivers :D

Would love AMD to implement an osd, but can't see it happening.

Associate
AMDMatt it doesn't matter how good this coming or next driver will be if AMD are going to realease them every three months or more.
Crossfire is loosing this way with sli.
Is there a crossfire profile for Lords of the Fallen in this coming driver?
Game was realese in 28.11.2014!!!

AMD driver realeased past few months:
Omega (14.12) 12/9/2014
14.11.2 Beta 11/17/2014

Nvidia driver realeased in the same period of time:
GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 345.20 24.2.2015
GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 347.52 10.2.2015
GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 347.25 22.1.2015
GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 347.09 23.12.2014
GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 344.75 18.11.2014

Omega (14.12) 12/9/2014
14.11.2 Beta 11/17/2014

Soldato
AMDMatt it doesn't matter how good this coming or next driver will be if AMD are going to realease them every three months or more.
Crossfire is loosing this way with sli.
Is there a crossfire profile for Lords of the Fallen in this coming driver?
Game was realese in 28.11.2014!!!

AMD driver realeased past few months:
Omega (14.12) 12/9/2014
14.11.2 Beta 11/17/2014

Nvidia driver realeased in the same period of time:
GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 345.20 24.2.2015
GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 347.52 10.2.2015
GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 347.25 22.1.2015
GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 347.09 23.12.2014
GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 344.75 18.11.2014

Omega (14.12) 12/9/2014
14.11.2 Beta 11/17/2014

Mate this is the first time I have ever known amd drivers to take this long it's because there working on things.

Amd have never on the past had drivers take over month. We normally see 2 or 1 a month.

Soldato
Agreed Jim its terrible support of their product. I so very nearly jumped ship back to Nvidia yesterday. Nearly brought a titan, went as far as saying I would buy it before having to sheepishly withdraw.

Been on my mind all day if I made the right choice or not.

Caporegime
Mate this is the first time I have ever known amd drivers to take this long it's because there working on things.

Amd have never on the past had drivers take over month. We normally see 2 or 1 a month.

I don't think AMD can afford to have this happen again, it's just taken way too long.

It's their own fault though, they've been spoiling us with monthly drivers for years!!! :D

Soldato
Just to add I was playing Farcry 4 with Crossfire enabled early on. Disabled all Gameworks stuff and it was running very smooth avg I say around 90fps.

If I was to enable Gameworks the game would show signs of stutter soft shadows being the worst.

Back
Top Bottom