• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Caporegime
OP
Exactly. I'm a crossfire user, and I cant get the performance I want without graphic artifacts in Far Cry 4 (a game that was bought for me as a Christmas present), so I'm waiting for the new driver. It's frustrating.

We had a profile ready for launch, but unfortunately we've been unable to enable it due to issues with the game. Below is taken from the release notes of 14.1.2.

"The AMD CrossFire™ profile for Far Cry 4 is currently disabled in this driver while AMD works with Ubisoft to investigate an issue where AMD CrossFire™ configurations are not performing as intended. An update is expected on this issue in the near future through an updated game patch or an AMD driver posting."

Since this there have been multiple updates to the game and we're now at a stage where we can enable it in our next driver.

Soldato
It gives as much information as I'm allowed to give due to NDA Gareth. When the drivers are ready, I'll be posting them here and informing everyone, as i have done every month or so prior to the 14.12 Omega launch.

well i think AMD needs to rethink things if they want to keep their customers tbh.

Soldato
I think there should be a push on the consumers behalf for a "Crossfire Supported at Launch" logo, so many games are "borked" at launch and for months afterwards. This reflects badly on both the game manufacturer and AMD.

Soldato
They released a driver every month last year and had quick hotfixes as well (including a bug release fix within a week)?

This wait is out of the ordinary, thus the moaning here.

Correct amd normally fast with driver releases this isn't the norm.

We expecting new features hence the delay, once they out am sure you all be very happy again. also a lot of finishing touches to the freesync driver also could be another reason for the delay.
What we know is a frame limiter and more SVR resolutions.
I expect something else also.

Farcry 4 works fine here with AFR friendly mode am not sure why others are not?

Soldato
Maybe part of long driver and profile development recently is due to obfuscation thanks to NV Gameworks in a lot of recent titles, along with Ubisofts ineptitude and the fact that AMD are actively adding features to the drives resulting in a longer gestation period?

Mei

Mei

Soldato
sli has just as bad problems
look at some nvidia gameworks with broken sli, that has to hurt!

omega drivers seem good to me, whats the inpatients about? you expect amd to fix farcry4/dying light? rly?

unless im missing something big i think you guys should be complaining to the game makers

Soldato
sli has just as bad problems
look at some nvidia gameworks with broken sli, that has to hurt!

omega drivers seem good to me, whats the inpatients about? you expect amd to fix farcry4/dying light? rly?

unless im missing something big i think you guys should be complaining to the game makers

Are you single card or crossfire?

Associate
@AMDMatt:

When using a frame rate limiter in Crossfire, the first GPU takes priority and will only render 3D graphics on the first GPU if the target frame rate is being met. The second GPU only kicks in when there's a chance that the system will fall below the target frame rate. Is this the case with AMD's frame rate limiter or will we get equal usage on all GPU's even when the target frame rate is being met?

Last edited:
Soldato
@AMDMatt:

When using a frame rate limiter in Crossfire, the first GPU takes priority and will only render 3D graphics on the first GPU if the target frame rate is being met. The second GPU only kicks in when there's a chance that the system will fall below the target frame rate. Is this the case with AMD's frame rate limiter or will we get equal usage on all GPU's even when the target frame rate is being met?

That is not true!
SLI and Crossfire work in AFR "alternate frame rendering" one GPU renders one frame then the other renders the other.. Limit the frame rate doesn't change how SLI/Xfire works.

Associate
That is not true!
SLI and Crossfire work in AFR "alternate frame rendering" one GPU renders one frame then the other renders the other.. Limit the frame rate doesn't change how SLI/Xfire works.

Does MSI Afterburner still have those issues with reading GPU usage properly on the latest AMD GPU's? That might explain this.

Associate
I have a concern with that. If I enable the unified monitor feature, will I get a false usage reading on a game that does not support crossfire? If not, I'll go ahead and enable it. Thank you.

Associate
Sweet, I will try it.

Edit: As I feared, wrong usage on 2nd card. When I'm getting usage on both cards the usage between the cards are identical. I'm getting usage on both cards just when browsing the internet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Farcry 4 works fine here with AFR friendly mode am not sure why others are not?

AFR+MSAA disabled was fine all the way up to patch 1.8(something), now it's like playing statues, it can freeze completely for anything between ~1 to 8 seconds-don't know if this happens with everyone though, but since that patch, Iv'e sat it down and cracked into SOM.

Would rather wait until AMD have good FC4 mgpu support than release a broken profile...

It's not like Ubi would get the blame for it, that would be AMD's fault wouldn't it.:p

Back
Top Bottom