• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Well I sent back the 580's as they really disappointed me and just today my Fury X which I got pre-owned, Hence no warranty, Decided to die on me, Tried it in a few rigs and nothing.

So now I'm left with the money from the refund of the 580's, No GPU and I'm typing this out on my 6 year old netbook.

Now it's decision time, Put the extra towards a 1080 Ti OR wait 8+ weeks for Vega which could be as fast as the 1080 Ti or maybe a bit slower and cheaper.

Soldato

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

:D

Soldato
Well I sent back the 580's as they really disappointed me and just today my Fury X which I got pre-owned, Hence no warranty, Decided to die on me, Tried it in a few rigs and nothing.

So now I'm left with the money from the refund of the 580's, No GPU and I'm typing this out on my 6 year old netbook.

Now it's decision time, Put the extra towards a 1080 Ti OR wait 8+ weeks for Vega which could be as fast as the 1080 Ti or maybe a bit slower and cheaper.

dissappointed? didnt get that vibe from you when you posted your alient isolation results. What gives buddy?

Caporegime

Id just buy now, as theres zero point waiting for Vega, when you've been able to get its supposed performance, for nigh on a year.

Although saying that, if you waited this long, then you may as well wait another couple of months :p

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone know if the "power efficiency" toggle under gaming/global settings are supposed to be there or not with a RX580 on 17.4.3?

Brother's RX580 does not have it, but RX480 on 17.4.2 did. I thought fundamentally they were almost the same cards, so would have the same settings available (wanted to make sure it was set to off...)

Soldato
Id just buy now, as theres zero point waiting for Vega, when you've been able to get its supposed performance, for nigh on a year.

Although saying that, if you waited this long, then you may as well wait another couple of months :p

I'm thinking I may as well just get the 1080 Ti, Yeah sure I won't be able to use my monitors Freesync option, Only 75Hz anyway, But having used Nvidia's Fast-Sync option I personally can't tell the difference between G-Sync, Fast-Sync or Freesync and waiting at the very least of 8 weeks with an old netbook is just too much for a man to handle.

Last edited:
Soldato
A.I and Elite Dangerous worked nicely but everything else I mainly play like D3, The Division etc...are a stuttery mess.
Well that sucks.. I get no stutter on division and D3 stutters no matter the hardware but it can reduced(it did on my 980ti my 1070 and currently on my rx 480 can be fixed if running at 60hz vsynced and a frame limiter set to 60 as well or if using freesync/gsync just the framerate limiter set to 60).

Associate
Does anyone know if the "power efficiency" toggle under gaming/global settings are supposed to be there or not with a RX580 on 17.4.3?

Brother's RX580 does not have it, but RX480 on 17.4.2 did. I thought fundamentally they were almost the same cards, so would have the same settings available (wanted to make sure it was set to off...)

I believe they built the power efficiency into the bios with the 580 which is why people who have flashed 480s get better power usage at lower power states

I presume it works ok as power efficiency can turn some games into a stuttery mess but I've heard no such complaints with 580s

Back
Top Bottom